Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: News from Mike, online everyday at 6pm GMT< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 18 2002, 09:47

The news section of www.mikeoldfield.com has been updated with this message from Mike:
    Tres Lunas is out and doing very well in Europe.  I am really pleased, and will be on-line as an Avatar at 18.00 GMT for a couple of weeks... Look at the bulletin board. Have been getting all the old valve equipment out of storage for the re-recording of Tubular Bells, and am looking forward to this a lot. Especially as I don't need to write the music for a change. Off for a Guinness and a Chinese.  
    Cheers Mike
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 18 2002, 13:50

Well, I've finally met Mike as the blue moth! :-) There was a lot of people on-line, so it was a bit hard to find an unused avatar. But it was funny. I just wish there was a chat-function :-)

/ Johan
Profile PM 
Tr3s Lunas Offline

Posted: June 18 2002, 16:58

I was online too and I saw him, I was the dragon fly.

But, repently, the batteries of my cordless mouse fell off!!!

Nice butterfly... It reminds me Platinum

--------------
http://starmen.net/petition
...do it for the kids!!!
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 18 2002, 18:47

'Getting all the old valve equipment out of storage'- Nice one a bit of analogue magic its what some of us have been waiting for. By the way Mike if you read this may I put forward the idea of using Stephen Fry as master of ceromonies on the new TB he would be excelent for this part and was after all, as I,ve just been reading, a huge fan of Viv Stanshall himself.

ps Have just been celebrating my 30th birthday by drinking lots of Budvar, the real
Czech Budweiser, I really recomend it to everyone. Nice and smooth and not to gassy and the hangover's not to bad{hopefully}either.
Profile PM 
Fox Offline

Posted: June 20 2002, 13:32

Say, has anyone found the blue moth avatar in the game itself?
Profile PM 
Tr3s Lunas Offline

Posted: June 20 2002, 14:34

No, I think only Mike O can use it...

--------------
http://starmen.net/petition
...do it for the kids!!!
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 20 2002, 18:52

I agree with TOBY about the anologue equipment! That's really needed, otherwise it wouldn't have a sound of TB1.

By the way, congratulations and thanks for the tip about your Budweiser. It will be my 18th birthday soon! smile

Have to play with MO yet. I forgot to log on the last days. frown

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Allan_N Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 21 2002, 04:52

I really hate those dated 70's guitar sounds (like the dark star bit in TB - horrible!). I hoped that he'd use his new sounds for the re-recording, but apparently he won't. There is nothing like the electric lead sound introduced on Earth Moving. It screams, it cries, it shivers..it really speaks..! And that heavily processed Strat...wow...
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: June 21 2002, 15:56

I'm not sure I really see the point in re-recording an old album... only to use the same equipment that you used in rushing the project!

I certainly won't be buying an album that is a remake only to sound the same as the original... with out-of-tune guitars and old school playing... that just doesn't show any true benefit nor any point!

Am I missing something?????

Not that Mike cares... but what of the media... they already dawg him left and right for doing so many Bell albums... when will he go beyond Tubular Bells? Is Mike doomed to repeat the same commercial mistakes over and over?

I can see the headlines now...

"Tubular Bells AGAIN???" \
or
"Almost made a comeback... fell short in 2003"
or
"MO, a man capable of one album"

They will eat him alive with this remake... and just to make it sound like the original... claiming that the only difference will be the digital sound... is utter stupidity if you ask me!

If you are going to remake an album... try adding some bits that weren't there... and using new... state-of-the-art equipment... NOT some silly valve equipment that is dated. Use an orchestra for some of the bits and some sequencers... but don't over kill it... you've done enough of the sequencer thing for the rest of your career as far as I am concerned. And as previously suggested... use your Strat sound that has made you a guitar trademark sound for the last 20 years... with LOTS of high pitched vibrato... PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! smile

MusicVR is great and so is Tr3s Lunas... try building on something new for a change... leave that album alone dammit if it's only going to sound like the original... you are killing your credibility IMHO!!!!!!!!

- Christopher
Profile PM 
The Thin Man Offline

Posted: June 21 2002, 16:12

To Fox and Tr3s Lunas:

Fly along the right hand rim of the canyon and see what you can find.

biggrin

The Thin Man
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 21 2002, 21:48

I think you'll find that, although containing more than a passing nod to the original recording, the new Tubular Bells will have enough of an updated sound and feel to be different to the original. The point is certainly not to play it out of tune a second time...

Remember also that Tubular Bells II used some of the original equipment from Tubular Bells, but sounded completely different.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 21 2002, 22:35

Alan

You actually mean you dislike those incredibly expressive searing guitar sounds found on Incantations and Ommadawn.
christopher Offline

Posted: June 21 2002, 23:18

Ok Chris you had a blonde moment...

blonde moment cancelled...

Ok to be perfectly honest I did not know that Mike used some of the old valve equipment for TB2... I guess that shows my ignorance doesn't it.

Well... I'm glad that you have informed me so I don't open mouth insert foot again wink

Although I do think if it is going to be just like original... then there is no real point to re-recording it... it will just be another nail in MO's musical coughin!

But we will wait and see... my opinion stands for now.

Take it easy you lot smile

- Christopher
Profile PM 
Allan_N Offline

Posted: June 22 2002, 06:52

The guitars on Ommadawn and Incantations are very different from the ones on TB. I love those sounds, but only in the context of an album from that time. They would sound terribly dated on a modern recording. Mike has used two different distorted lead sounds I think (if we don't count the crappy 70's standard ones on TB) - the one from the late 70's/80's and the one that first appeared on Earth Moving (PRS + Roland GP-8 + Wah). The latter is superior IMHO and should be used on the new recording.

I second what Korgscrew said. The new TB will probably sound quite different from the original despite the same equipment.

By the way, I don't like the distorted guitar at the end of No Man's Land Reprise. It's a very unpleasant sound. Harsh, dirty and metallic.
Profile PM WEB 
Misty Boy Offline

Posted: June 22 2002, 15:06

Chris........
What's up man im from Cookeville, also I thought I was the only one into Oldfield? around Hear? Guess not.........
tobefreekid@yahoo.com
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 22 2002, 19:32

Mikes sounds on Ommadawn and incantations are so good they are timeless.I dont agree they would sound dated in a current recording.Simply use the same quality guitar amp combination Mic it up correctly using a high quality multitrack and adding a modern Reverb say a Lexicon pcm91 etc.So long as you incorporate a modern Multitrack compression and Reverb/fx.You will achieve a marvellous guitar sound that a lot of guitarists would really envy today.The same thing happens in the keyboard world Virtual analog machines have their place and have become very popular though a lot of experienced folk like the older more organic sound.This just like a guitar sound can be updated, ie made modern by processing and recording using todays technology.I accept that Alan prefers Earth moving's guitar sound thats fine it does sound really good come to thik of it he he.I will however stand firm on this.Quality source sounds like in Ommadawn and Incantations will always sound good in an up to date Pro studio.
Allan_N Offline

Posted: June 23 2002, 05:06

Hehe... "Multitrack compression"...what's that? ;-) Ok, maybe it wouldn't sound dated, but I think the 'PRS lead' and 'clean Strat' sounds are more suited for TB.

Btw, a guitar is organic by definition. It doesn't matter if the distortion comes from a digital effect or an amp. And adding a wah pedal and a whammy bar opens up a new world of expression.
Profile PM WEB 
dabidovich Offline

Posted: June 23 2002, 07:30

I'm 23 now, and I don't mind about the re-recording of Tubular Bells... ...but I'm excited about the posibility of a Tubular Bells Tour with 12 musicians!! That's the main subject, surely the recording will be a big surprise, but the TOUR will be amazing.
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: June 23 2002, 17:31

Ok lets add a little baby comma(,)

for our friend Alan posting from Sweden
TEXT CORRECTED.

incorporate a modern Multitrack,compression and Reverb/fx.

Now is that better LOL.
Allan_N Offline

Posted: June 23 2002, 18:52

Thanks! It's important to write properly. But I think he has always used compression to get his sound. ;-)
Profile PM WEB 
38 replies since June 18 2002, 09:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net