Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New York & Mike Oldfield track on YouTube< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 10 2012, 13:28

Planet Love Records has made the new York & Mike Oldfield track 'Islanders' available to listen to on YouTube.

It comes from the album of the same name, which you can read all about, and see ordering details, on the Armada Music page!
Profile PM 
BeeNBee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 11 2012, 02:07

Good to hear Mike is back again! Very atmospheric and soothing. Hopefully something more will emerge from this duo.  :)

--------------
" Michal Kochamy Cie! " - Katowice 1999
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2012, 03:28

It was great to hear Mike's wonderful guitar sound again on something new.
Profile PM 
Yann Kovic Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2012, 03:38

Well I will be very critical of this track. Sure, it's Mike, I've always loved what he does, but if this tracks is more easy listening style, there are no very eccentric ideas there...

Listen to the style : the same serie of chords used in Oceania (The Songs of the Distant Earth), and then, finally, nothing new... Sorry, but Mike can make something better than this.

And that's what we all are waiting for now !

--------------
I like beer, I like cheese, I like the smell of a westerly breeze...

http://www.yannkovic.be/
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2012, 11:22

Cute, real cute. Except for the guitar, it's not cute. It's serious. Cute is a word to describe things we want to make a comment on but cannot think of anything else that is more meaningful to say.......

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2012, 12:13

That York bloke might be another TSODE/TL fan...so that's why he might have asked MO to go that way...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Brizo Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2012, 14:30

Getting board of this style, same production with add lib guitar playing.
Lets hope Mike's new project has more balls.
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2012, 14:40

To be fair though, this is just Mike doing a guest spot on someone else's song.

Don't blame Mike for this track being crummy!

That's the equivalent of blaming Cuba Gooding Jr for 'Pearl Harbor' being a bad film!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 12 2012, 05:48

Quote (starfish @ Oct. 11 2012, 20:40)
To be fair though, this is just Mike doing a guest spot on someone else's song.

Don't blame Mike for this track being crummy!

That's the equivalent of blaming Cuba Gooding Jr for 'Pearl Harbor' being a bad film!

Thank you starfish, well said..
I like his playing on this song.. have played it for many many times. I do like Yorks music and all typical balearic chill music style. So it was nice to hear Mike doing a guest performance. Same kind of thing he did with Schiller.
Lovely soft playing guitar sound..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2012, 07:05

I love the guitar playing and sound on this track, but the backing music I don't really love. I thought it strange that this track is comming out when Mike recently said he is done with the electronic thing, and wants to make rock music again. But, like has been said, this is not Mike's track, plus it seems he has known York since the Ibiza days, so maybe this was something they have talked about doing for years and only got around to it now.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2012, 07:07

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Oct. 12 2012, 07:05)
I love the guitar playing and sound on this track, but the backing music I don't really love. I thought it strange that this track is comming out when Mike recently said he is done with the electronic thing, and wants to make rock music again. But, like has been said, this is not Mike's track, plus it seems he has known York since the Ibiza days, so maybe this was something they have talked about doing for years and only got around to it now.

The date when they made it and when it got released might be quite far away from each other. :)
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Oct. 12 2012, 07:14

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Oct. 12 2012, 13:05)
But, like has been said, this is not Mike's track, plus it seems he has known York since the Ibiza days, so maybe this was something they have talked about doing for years and only got around to it now.

The composer is M. Oldfield.

;)
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2012, 16:04

Once the "tubular" chimey thing starts... I knew I shouldn't have bothered. Impersonal, boring and not remotely memorable. As expected.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2012, 18:21

IMHO absolutely nothing wrong with this track.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2012, 19:22

On the bright side, it could be a teaser. A way of saying, "I'll be back".

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2012, 12:21

Guys...as a suffering Leeds United fan, there are some similarities to been a Mike Oldfield fan!! We've been in the wilderness for seven years, fans clambering for change and a new direction. Now its happening, a team on the up and potential new owners....yet the fans are already stating they arent happy!!!! Lets just see what develops. Mikes already stated his intentions with new music on the horizon. Lets judge after the new album, just like us long suffering Leeds fans will judge the teams progress next year!!

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2012, 04:23

Downloaded the track from iTunes.  It has a similar chillout style to parts of TSODE, Tres Lunas and L&S.  Happy with my purchase!
Curiosity got the better of me, and so I decided to preview some of the other tracks on York's "Islanders" album.  Really pleased I did, because I ended up purchasing the full album, and have been listening to it constantly ever since.
I'm not at all familiar with York's (Torsten Stenzel's) career. But, to me anyway, this is a stunning, although very long,  album.
Standout tracks for me are "Dying Star", "Injection" - which is a hauntingly beautiful takeoff of one of Hans Zimmer's central themes from the Tom Cruise MI2 movie, "In the Thunder", "Touched by God", and "Lost Under the Sun" with an interesting vocal turn by singer Jennifer Paige.
If you liked M.O.'s more electronic/chillout side, I would recommend that you give the full "Islanders" album a test-drive on iTunes.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2012, 06:08

I can understand the comparisons to Oldfield's 'electronic' output, for me though Islanders is far better. I can't help but wonder if Light & Shade and Tres Lunas might have been a lot better with someone like York in the producer seat.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 14 2012, 11:14

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Oct. 14 2012, 12:08)
I can understand the comparisons to Oldfield's 'electronic' output, for me though Islanders is far better. I can't help but wonder if Light & Shade and Tres Lunas might have been a lot better with someone like York in the producer seat.

i think so.. got the same idea really..
It would lift the albums to a higher level..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 14 2012, 15:02

I don't have rhythm but the guitar sounds sometimes slightly off-beat to me. Maybe he recorded over another drum loop than this final one? I wouldn't mind some quantization for this kind of music.
Profile PM 
25 replies since Oct. 10 2012, 13:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net