Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Tom Newman album - The (Secret) Life of Angels< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 14 2014, 12:05

A new album from Tom Newman, The (Secret) Life of Angels is set for release on April 18th. As an album of hand-played instrumental music by the producer of albums like Tubular Bells and Amarok, it should be of interest to fans of Tom's work with (and without) Mike!

Tom has posted some taster samples on his Soundcloud page, and a video for the track Raphael's Bicycle is available on YouTube.

There are also more samples, plus ordering details, on the Viral Discs and Downloads website.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 14 2014, 14:48

I love Tom's work...& and was lucky enough to meet him last year...I am so happy there is a new release...Faerie Symphony is really special for me and this looks to be just as intriguing and otherworldly....

The video for Raphael's Bicycle is just brilliant :)

I can't wait!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 15 2014, 01:52

Quote (bee @ April 14 2014, 19:48)
The video for Raphael's Bicycle is just brilliant :)

I can't wait!

I second that - this new album sounds intriguing - day 1 buy for me  :)
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 16 2014, 17:00

Interview, mentioning Michael: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz43TVisTFg
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: April 21 2014, 18:39

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
Nezzico Offline

Posted: April 27 2014, 06:13

Thank you Tom, for your new release. Its a great pleasure to me.

It's an interesting experience to have a new work from Tom and compare it with Mikes actual album - which cant really work. In relation to Tubular Bells and the other early stuff, Toms music is so much nearer to it. Toms compositions sounds free from commercial use. It's unconventional and doesnt tries to avoid quirky ideas. Tom has not the problem to meet the high expectations of millions of fans, he can feel more free in his creativity.

There is this some magic in tracks like Uriels secret or Gabriels Triste or Calling the Fallen, that make me smile. If Mike will follow his ideas about a TB0 project, a new collaboration with Tom could be really valuable. Come on guys ;-)

Sorry for my 'quirky' english ;-)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 27 2014, 15:52

I agree with you  Nezzico ....it's a great pleasure to listen to the new release.

I have received a copy of Tom's Cd and it is so hard to put into words what I feel...it is beautiful music, so fine, delicate, gentle and ( what I like very much ) just a little eerie...and strange... Lucifer's Grief is a really, really powerful and haunting piece of music...it's like reaching the deepest recesses of the subconscious...or the edge of consciousness...the place where we meet another world or reality...where we know there is more but we don't know what it is...very profound....and it did unnerve me the first time I heard it..

I listened to the album coming home on the train from London on Friday and it was amazing, I just looked out of the window and felt totally weightless...it sounds funny I know, but I did! ...I wasn't in that train! It was how I imagine deep meditation must be. And I liked that experience.

I think you are right, Nezzico,  when you say that Tom and Mike could work together again...how wonderful that would be...a lot of time has gone by, but if ever two people were well suited musically and in a creative way, then it is them! Just my opinion, but Tom seems to understand something so subtle in music, the way it moves along with its many changes and surprises, that I have only ever really heard in Mike's music.

I know I will be playing The Secret Life of Angels a lot...and I hope for more one day...
:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 28 2014, 08:03

a beautiful album - much more expressive than most work seen today. Well worth a purchase ...
Profile PM 
7 replies since April 14 2014, 12:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net