Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New TB-0 album and space concert announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 01 2014, 00:50

We've had an exclusive announcement from Virgin EMI about Mike's next album, which includes plans for a premiere concert:

Following Sir Richard Branson's announcement yesterday of Virgin Buildings, where Branson revealed that he had his sights set on the moon, Virgin EMI is proud to announce that Mike Oldfield will be supporting Branson's ambitions with a new album and a spectacular live performance.

Called TB-0, the album will reflect on Mike's contribution to Virgin's space ventures, referring back to his classic debut album, Tubular Bells, which kick-started the Virgin empire. The name also refers to TMA-0, the monolith in Arthur C Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey, which begins primitive man's journey towards being a space-faring species.

"I've always loved space, and I'm a particular fan of Arthur C Clarke," says Mike, "So the concept of combining Tubular Bells with a moon concept and 2001 was very exciting to me. There are three monoliths in 2001, representing three stages of humanity, and I want the album to be in three parts to represent three eras in my own career, as well as in Richard's. I want the first part to be like a prequel to Tubular Bells, using all the old instruments, then the second part will be more modern. I'd like to go back to the sound of my album Crises, because that was also in the era that Richard was starting Virgin Atlantic. The third part will be the space part - my music's just been used by the European Space agency for their Sentinel program, and of course Richard's got Virgin Galactic and his new building plans, so it'll have to represent that. I'm still working on ideas for that. I want it to be a long instrumental work where all three parts fit together and reference each other, so it's like there's a genuine evolution from beginning to end, not just three different things stuck together."

Mike also announced plans to accompany the album's launch with a special concert. "We want to represent the album by having a transition in the concert as well. We're going to set up a big stage and seating area at Spaceport America, and the audience will stay there, but during the concert, I'll get into one of Richard's spaceships and be launched into space, so the final part will be me playing the bells from space. I used Skype heavily for making my last album, so I had a chat with the people from Skype, and they've agreed to help us do it, so I can be in space and all the audience on the ground will be able to see me on big screens. We've got the European Space Agency cooperating as well, so hopefully we'll be able to have musicians joining us from the International Space Station too. After Chris Hadfield, they've really seen the benefit of having astronauts involved in musical events."

Virgin Group founder Sir Richard Branson said "When we released Tubular Bells, over 40 years ago, we never dreamed that it would end up taking us into space, but Virgin Galactic is now making commercial spaceflight a reality. Now, we're looking towards the next step of reaching the moon, and we're thrilled to have Mike Oldfield on board to help us with a new album, just like he did with the first Tubular Bells."
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 01 2014, 00:55

:-) so sad, it's April 1th !
Profile PM 
MasterGeek.MX Offline

Posted: April 01 2014, 01:27

I believd a second, But I remembered the 1st of April.

here on Meixco and latin countries it's in December 28.

--------------
Hailings from a Mexican Mike Oldfield's fan.

Y chingue su madre el que no le guste Campanas Tubulares!
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 01 2014, 05:22

Your best one yet ..very funny.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 01 2014, 05:34

This one was very very funny!!!

Someone posted on a Brazilian Jean Michel Jarre fan page a fake track featuring Oldfield and Jarre inspired by the late Arthur C. Clarke!

It made me laugh because a few days before,there was this Spanish MO interview which he said no to any sort of collaboration  :laugh: :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 01 2014, 16:14

He can't do that from the Bahamas.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 01 2014, 16:19

Remember this one from Marko?

http://www.contactmusic.com/news....1167816
24 September 2010 (176 days from April 1st):
JEAN MICHEL JARRE wants his next gig to be out of this world - the electro-pop pioneer is adamant he will one day perform on the moon.
The French star believes he is destined to become the first artist to play a lunar concert after 2001: A Space Odyssey author Arthur C. Clarke told him he saw a vision of the gig before his death in 2008.
And Jarre is keen to ask airways entrepreneur Richard Branson, who owns space tourism business Virgin Galactic, to help him carry out the mission.
He tells Scotland's Daily Record, "(I) became friends (with Clarke) when I found out he'd written 2010: Odyssey Two (while) listening to my music. In fact my world tour is a tribute to him.
"Before he died, he was always telling me, 'One day you will do a concert on the moon'. I said, 'Arthur be serious - it's not possible to do that'. He said, 'It's possible. I won't see it but maybe you will do it'.
"Certainly Richard Branson seems to be equipped to take care of the flight and to carry my equipment. I'd love to play on the moon!"

On a sadder note, Jarre was supposed to have an astronaut play one of his pieces on the saxophone, in the space shuttle that exploded...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_McNair#Music_in_Space_project
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: April 01 2014, 18:21

Fuck!

I believed it completely until I saw the comments saying it was an April's fool!

I was so happy with that, Mike doing new long compositions and all...I was happy for him, I know he loves space. Everything was...too good to be true...

I was aware it was April's fool day, even saw a television program about that today; I even wondered what prank to do to my girlfriend. But here, I got completely away.

Very great fool, probably the greatest thing that could happen to Mike.
Profile PM 
Covenant Offline

Posted: April 02 2014, 05:29

Ha!
That fits in VERY well with my concept cover for TBIV (or 0) as the title seems to shift back and forth between!;)

Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 02 2014, 20:49

Well, it is in the realm of possibilities that it *could* happen...maybe a fantastic idea to be planted in the right heads. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: April 04 2014, 13:38

For what it's worth, I love the title TB-0.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 05 2014, 05:13

I'm still waiting for that heavy-metal themed "hells bells" April's fools joke.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: July 04 2014, 20:55

I have to say I was amazed by the idea and I'm even more amazed it's just a joke.

It sounded better as a project than half of the ones he announced before, althoug I have to say it sounds weird he'll be playing the last part of the gig from space!!!!

It reminds me to really old stuff we used to share in the first times of tubular.net. I think a few believed my announcement of a 'Hergest Ridge 2'!!!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
12 replies since April 01 2014, 00:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net