[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New single "To Be Free" announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 14:05

In the news section of mikeoldfield.com, Mike writes:
    Just finishing off the album. There are 13 tracks one of wich will be a single called "To Be Free". The single will be released in English, Spanish, French and German. Working now on the new Demo wich we will post soon. All the final pieces coming together at last! Found a great new way to play guitar sounding like a saxophone or flute. Having a final listen to the album this afternoon then off for Thai dindins.
(Thanks, Michiel Cleijne)
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 17:47

Glad to hear this, but...
... didn't Mike say he didn't like the sound of saxophones? smile Then why trying emulate a sax with his guitar? confused

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 18:01

Well, he also said it sounded like a fart, but I didn't interprete that as him entirely disliking the instrument, more the breathy, heavy sound that baritone saxophones can make. Presumably he finds soprano and alto saxophones agreeable. smile
Profile PM 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 18:04

Come to think of it - he doesn't talk of emulation, actually he says he's playing guitar and he sounds like a saxophone. Presumably he hit himself while playing or so... smile
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 18:30

Don't forget that Mike featured sax in Islands, Heaven's Open (heavily used in Music from the Balcony, by Courtney Pine) and Earth moving
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 21:23

4 languages... hmm.. so music is not a universal language I guess.
This is mysterious, probably the meaning of the lyrics is important for the understanding of the piece, that would be something new for Mike. Usually he doesn't care a lot about the meaning of lyrics, as long as they sound good and allow him to express something musically, as a universal language. Will the lyrics be sung, or will it be somebody saying a text? Who? Sally?
Profile PM 

Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 22:23

Damn it I was just about to send htis as news but someone beat me to it !
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2002, 22:39

I wish I knew how it would feel...
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 02:05

Maybe he likes the sound of a fart!!!!!!!!

Well, i'm getting more excited with the forthcoming project. Will 'To Be Free' like a movie title song, not necessarily in the Tr3s Lunas experience but capturing the overall essence of it?

We shall see...

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 03:51

i wonder if it will be released in australia?

because it will be released in that many languages must mean that either it a full vocal song, or that it has vocals in it. or mabye he's just translating the title of it which doesn't do much at all. hmmm.

i want to see if it has any remixes on it.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Allan_N Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 11:36

Oh no...he's turning into...Terry! *gasps in horror*

'To Be Free'?? *PUKE* A multilingual song about freedom. This seems like a bad joke...but it isn't :´-( Has Yoko Ono co-produced it or what?

Mike is slowly becoming a New World Music artist, apparently. Hmm...maybe he'll be in the Eurovision Song Contest next year...*gollum*
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 13:13

...well I'm not jumping to any conclusions. I'm simply grateful that we will have an opportunity to hear some new music from Mike real soon.

Let's celebrate that!! Happy? biggrin

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 14:31

I just hope all these 13 tracks has a total length of 60 to 70 minutes. No more 46 minutes long albums like TB||| and TMB. Even though they are good albums I would like some longer time of Mike's wonderful music smile

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 19:38

My 2 cents: I've often found that the artist determines how captivating music is - not the style or genre of the music. For myself, I can say that I love all the music Mike made, from the more experimental stuff like Amarok and TB 1 to the gentle melodies of Voyager and TSODE. Perhaps we should be glad that he continually does things we don't expect from him...
Profile PM 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2002, 20:08

Oh yes - and I'd love to see Mike in the Eurovision Song Contest... playing the whole of Amarok or so...

Happy?
biggrin
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2002, 11:01

To be Free or not to be Free? That is the question...

You cannot judge a book by it's cover and you cannot judge a song by it's title!
I don't think Mike is capable of producing something bad enough to even be considered for the Eurovision song contest!!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 23 2002, 13:06

...I can see it now...Mike in one of his sleeveless T-shirty vest things, strumming away...tapping the old foot...Eurovision nations watch in awe....60 minutes later...after the whole of Amarok....United Kingdom...12 points.

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 23 2002, 13:08

...not in total of course...each vote...phew!

--------------
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2002, 14:22

"To Be Free" is not his most creative and best title. Most of Mike best pieces had unexpected, weird nice titles, so I'm a bit worried by this title and by the fact there will be so many tracks. Also, it's interesting to note that, although the title of the album is in Spanish, this track has an English title. Or maybe it will have different titles for each languages? It seems that languages will have some importance in this work (single in 4 languages, title of the album in Spanish,...)
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2002, 17:27

and more important... will the CD contain the 4 versions of the song?

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 
42 replies since Mar. 21 2002, 14:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net