Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Review of Platinum Collection, By the Official Swiss Charts...in German< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Wayfarer Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 09 2006, 19:21

Hi there,

The Official Swiss Charts site has made a review of Platinum Collection. I Cannot say if it's good or bad because it's in German and I don't speak it (apart of 'Hallo' and 'Auf Wiedersehen', I found it just by chance). I suspect that is just the same 'press release' review we've already seen in other places.

The most interesting point is that the same page shows how the different Oldfield's songs and album has ranked on the Swiss Charts... Following the links, you can see more data about each song and album... including graphical Chart Evolution and info about maxisingles... Most of the info is in english.

Worth a look, anyway.

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Trillian Offline

Posted: April 10 2006, 05:21

It's a good review! They're really enthusiastic on the Platinum Collection.

Great site, Wayfarer! I really like all the extra information, excellent site!

--------------
~*Trillian*~
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: April 10 2006, 07:26

I went to Google-Translate with the text from the review... and all I got was this lousy doggerel...

The musical career/development of MIKE OLDFIELD with a Compilation to appreciate appropriately, is no simple venture.  "The Platinum Collection" offers an excellent overview of the complete work of the English multi-instrument valleyists and exception artist, whose career began before 33 years with a proverbial bass drum impact with its three CDs however.  "Tubular Bells" appeared to music history in June 1973 and was promoted to the milestone.  The Studioalbum brought it on phaenomenale 264 weeks in the UK Charts and sold themselves world-wide 16 million to time that its music only with difficulty to be categorized was, demonstrated MIKE OLDFIELD also with its next both albums "Hergest Ridge" (1974) and "Ommadawn" (1975).  When as also as instrument valleyist has MIKE OLDFIELD with its first three albums a trailblazing chapter skirt history written composer, which is still enough category such as Ambient, Trance and new Age inspire should.  "Crises" is promoted 1983 to MIKE OLDFIELDs to internationally most successful album of the eighties.  "Moonlight Shadow" (as extended version here on CD!;)  was not only an enormous hit:  The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.  "Shadow on The barrier", a further single uncoupling, demonstrated, how rockig he could sound every now and then.  In the following year the Studioalbum appeared "Discovery" (1984), which offered a further Top hit with the incomparable voice of Maggie Reilly with "tons of France".  Among the further highlights from the Achtzigern the TRACKS of the album of "Iceland" rank (1987).  The Titelsong with Bonnie Tyler as Leadsaengerin as well as "Flying start" and "The time Has Come" are published here into its 1ìnch-Versionen for the first time on CD.  That applies also to the two Songbeispiele from the album "Earth Moving":  The eighties were evenly also the first large era of the rem ix-versions.  In the Neunzigern MIKE was no longer productive OLDFIELD completely as as in the previous decade.  With "Hibernaculum" of the album "The Songs OF Distant Earth" (1994) as well as "Women OF Irish country" of the keltischen album "Voyager" (1996) of two beautiful examples of OLDFIELDs art to incorporate musical technologies excellently and remain always open for musical influences from all world.  The nineties terminated MIKE OLDFIELD with a further ambitionierten project:  "The Millennium Bell" (1999) was specified to the transition in the year 2000 before a million-public in Berlin live.  Meanwhile also the musical genious of MIKE is OLDFIELD in 21.  Century arrived.  Its album "Tres Lunas" (2002) developed in the direct connection with the computer game "musical VR", which codeveloped OLDFIELD considerably.  Naturally "The Platinum Collection" offers also excerpts from all other Studioalben like "Platinum" (1979), to "QE2" (1980), "Amarok" (1990), "Tubular Bells II" (1992) and "Tres Lunas" (2002).

Tony :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 10 2006, 09:41

Never did like those 80s albums overmuch, and now I see that it was the ear worm's fault.
Profile PM 

Posted: April 10 2006, 11:31

I love this bit...

When as also as instrument valleyist has MIKE OLDFIELD with its first three albums a trailblazing chapter skirt history written composer, which is still enough category such as Ambient, Trance and new Age inspire should.

Complete nonsense!

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: April 11 2006, 04:44

"The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD."

Loving that statement.

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: April 11 2006, 08:35

Strange logic in google I sense...

(ger.) Ohrwurm = metaphor for (engl.) 'catchy tune' = (google, literally) 'ear worm'

(ger.) Rock = (engl.) skirt, thus:
(ger.) Rockgeschichte = (engl.) history of rock = (google) skirt history

and, if that wasn't enough:
(ger.) Tal = (engl.) valley, thus:
(ger.) [Multi-]Instrumentalist = (google)[multi ]instrument valleyist  :D
("ger.") To France = (google)Tons of France  :D :D

OK, let's try to do better:
=====================================
To properly appreciate the musical career of MIKE OLDFIELD with a Compilation is not an easy task. Yet, "The Platinum Collection" with its three CDs offers an excellent overview of the complete work of the English multi-instrumentalist and exceptional artist, whose career began 33 years ago with a proverbial strike of a thunderbolt. "Tubular Bells" was released in June 1973 and became a milestone of music history. The studio album achieved phenomenal 264 weeks in the UK charts and sold 16 million world-wide up to now. With his next two albums "Hergest Ridge" (1974) and "Ommadawn" (1975), MIKE OLDFIELD again demonstrated that his music is difficult  to be categorized. As composer as well as musician, MIKE OLDFIELD has written a major chapter of rock history with his first three albums, which should inspire categories like Ambient, Trance and new Age for a long time.

"Crises" in 1983 became MIKE OLDFIELDs internationally most successful album of the eighties. "Moonlight Shadow" (as extended version here on CD)  was not only an enormous success:  The catchy tune also became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.  "Shadow on The Wall", a further single from this album, demonstrated, how rocky he could sound at times.  In the following year (1984) the studio album "Discovery" was released, which provided "To France", another top hit with the unique voice of Maggie Reilly.
Further highlights from the eighties include the tracks from the album of "Islands" (1987).  The title track with Bonnie Tyler as lead singer, as well as "Flying start" and "The time Has Come", are published here as their 12 inch-versions (for the first time on CD).  The same also applies to the two songs from the album "Earth Moving": The eighties were indeed also the first major era of the remix-versions.

In the nineties, MIKE OLDFIELD was not as productive as as in the previous decade.  With "Hibernaculum" from the album "The Songs of Distant Earth" (1994) as well as "Women of Ireland" from the celtic album "Voyager" (1996), two beautiful examples of OLDFIELDs ability to excellently incorporate musical technologies and always remain open for musical influences from all over world are included. MIKE OLDFIELD concluded the nineties with a further ambitious project: "The Millennium Bell" (1999) was performed live in front of a million-audience in Berlin to celebrate the transition to the year 2000.

Meanwhile, the musical jack-of-all-trades MIKE OLDFIELD has arrived in the 21st century. His album "Tres Lunas" (2002) was developed in the direct connection with the computer game "Musical VR", most of which was also developed by MIKE OLDFIELD.

Of course, "The Platinum Collection" also offers excerpts from all other studio albums like "Platinum" (1979), "QE2" (1980), "Amarok" (1990), "Tubular Bells II" (1992) and "Tres Lunas" (2002).
========================
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: April 11 2006, 09:46

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ April 10 2006, 12:26)
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.

Alan D   Posted on April 10 2006, 14:41Never did like those 80s albums overmuch, and now I see that it was the ear worm's fault.

This ear worm is really making me laugh. I don't think I've laughed so much in ages :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:.  That's it let's blame the ear worm for Mike's more commercial 80's pieces.  That ear worm didn't happen to go by the name of Richard Branson, did he???  :laugh:  :laugh: .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 11 2006, 09:48

Mike Oldfield - world famous valleyist and exception artist!  :laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: April 11 2006, 11:48

Lastangmark - I love the Einstein On The Beach lyrics in your signature! :)

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: April 11 2006, 16:44

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ April 11 2006, 11:48)
Lastangmark - I love the Einstein On The Beach lyrics in your signature! :)

It's one of those pieces that just won't leave my head "Mis-ter Bo-Jangles I Reach You...".
It's a great album/opera/thing.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tansy Offline

Posted: April 12 2006, 04:49

Quote (moonchildhippy @ April 11 2006, 09:46 2006, 12:26)

That ear worm didn't happen to go by the name of Richard Branson, did he???  :laugh:  :laugh: .

I thought the ear worm comment was really funny as well.  So,couldn't beleive what I saw while searching for a new boot skin this morning ..look here scroll down to the bottom of the page,and take note of it's creator! Could this be a case of "many a true word spoken in jest" Moonchildhippy ? ;)
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: April 13 2006, 05:41

@Galadriel, Don't bother to "look there" just tried the link again,and it seems to have moved onto another page :O (before posting link did test it out)Anyway,it's a logon screen created by Mike56 & titled as "The Worm Hole". My imagination then left me wondering what could crawl out of it.And after reading your comment, better not describe what my vision was :laugh:
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 13 2006, 10:21

have a look on Richard Branson the worm
see here

;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: April 13 2006, 12:36

Oh dear! In posting that translation it looks like I've opened up a proper can of worms...

Tony :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: April 13 2006, 14:45

ahahahha... a complete thread about earworms!!!  :laugh:
Some very important things I missed this week while being busy with school ;)
hahahhaahaa :laugh:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
15 replies since April 09 2006, 19:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net