Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New (older) Member, Should have joined years ago< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cooper Roy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 29 2010, 20:52

Quote (Syd B @ June 29 2010, 10:52)
My god, I didn't see this coming. Milamber and Cooper Roy. This is going to have the same effect on the forums as mixing matter and antimatter did in that Star Trek episode. All I can think to do is grab the popcorn and watch it all go to hell. ;)

In the immortal words of Joe Dolce, Syd B : "Wassa matter you, gotta no respect!"  :p

CR  ;)

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 30 2010, 03:01

Well thats clause 1a7b out the window :laugh:

I say I say I say
Whats got 6,056 legs
And 6,056 eyes
and thinks this is a bad Idea?

CR now lets sing
You take the high brow
and I'll take the low brow
And I'll be at Mt St Michael (For the photo shoot) before ye.
Oh and you forgot the "hey" after whassa matter you.
Whassa Matter YOU!
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 08:33

Have you lot been on special pills?  :D
What the blazes is all the discussion about now? hahahha!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 30 2010, 09:50

Quote (Dave_Block @ June 26 2010, 21:06)
My personal claim-to-fame is I am the ONLY person in North America who has NEVER seen 'The Exorcist' and so, have no pre-conceived associations with it and 'TB'. I was able to listen and share Mike's opus without prejudice and probably bored the p!ss out of my friends at the time.

Welcome to the forums, Dave! Actually, you're not the only person in North America who hasn't seen the Exorcist--I'm in the Finger Lakes region of New York State and I've never seen it either. There are now two of us.  :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 10:07

My lord. I'm speechless. This is even more horrifying than I thought it would be. Now I don't even have clause 1a7b for protection.
Profile PM 
ex member 892 Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 10:07

Oh yeah, I forgot. Welcome to the board, Dave! :)
Profile PM 
Dave_Block Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 12:25

Thanks to all for the welcome. Waaay back near the beginning of this thread (that'll learn me to answer quicker) were there any other Oldfield works that I enjoyed.
"Exposed" and "Incantations" come to mind because of the 'live' feeling. This was before the DVD so it was the only way for me to experience one of his concerts.
There are favourite tracks on every release which I listen to, depending on my mood.
"QE2", "Five Miles Out", "Crises", "Amarok", "TB III", "Millennium Bell" & "Music of the Spheres" are all strong albums. It's probably easier to say that "Light & Shade" and "Tr3sLunas" are the two that I play the least, simply because I haven't given them a chance.
I tend to lean more towards instrumental tracks so his 'vocal' CDs don't get played much either.
For the record, my favourite non-Oldfield artists are (in no particular order): Philip Glass, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Al DiMeola, Rennaissance (the vocals are amazing), Gong, Jon Anderson (you either love or hate his voice), Shawn Phillips and Sky.
Speaking of Sky, they did a Christmas special a number of years back called (I think) 'Live at Westminster Abbey'. I've never seen it rebroadcast, does anyone know if it's available on DVD?
The above artists are the ones I'm most avid (i.e. rabid) about. I've got every thing from 'Acid Test' to Frank Zappa on the shelves (but no C&W, sorry).

Cheers, Dave

P.S. My favourite soundtrack composer is the late Jerry Goldsmith with John Barry running a close second.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 16:30

Hello Dave_Block.

You have a nice selection there.

I lean towards the instrumentals and miss out the songs (with lyrics), except for a few - like "Northpoint" and "Five Miles Out".

I might be the ONLY person in the UK who hasn't seen The Exorcist  :O

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 22:21

You should check it out Wiga.
"The power of Christ compells you"
Merrin Merrin
Profile PM 
Dave_Block Offline

Posted: June 30 2010, 23:21

I DID see most of it eventually but long after the fact. Not exactly the psychological scare-fest I expected. Does anyone remember the furore it created at the beginning? Sort of like the nonsense surrounding "The Life of Brian", groups actually picketed it when it first came out in Toronto. I also avoided "Titanic" and "Avatar" mainly because of the hype.
Nothing to do with Mike but my favourite movies include "The Usual Suspects", "Snatch", "Hot Fuzz" and (as a nod to Milamber) "The Princess Bride" which a friend described as 'the perfect movie, it has everything'. Yep, it stand the test of time.

Cheers, Dave
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 02:09

Quote (Dave_Block @ June 30 2010, 23:21)
I also avoided "Titanic" and "Avatar" mainly because of the hype.

Come to think of it, I seem to avoid the multiple oscar winning films for some reason. Some I watch eventually. The more times they say, "and the winner is... Dances with Wolves!" - something clicks and I avoid it.  When I eventually watched Titanic I enjoyed it.

I still haven't seen Gandhi, The Last Emperor, Chicago, Slumdog Millionaire, Out of Africa, Avator, Dances with Wolves ...

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 04:06

Quote (wiga @ July 01 2010, 02:09)
I still haven't seen Gandhi, The Last Emperor, Chicago, Slumdog Millionaire, Out of Africa, Avator, Dances with Wolves ...

I'm even worse, Wiga. Some of those films I've never heard of! The last film I saw was the other night: a repeat viewing of Last Year at Marienbad - I'm quite partial to French films.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 04:23

Quote (nightspore @ July 01 2010, 19:06)
I'm quite partial to French films.

And Oil of Ulan  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Obscure ref to an 80s Aussie advert.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 04:32

Quote (nightspore @ July 01 2010, 04:06)
Quote (wiga @ July 01 2010, 02:09)

I'm even worse, Wiga. Some of those films I've never heard of! The last film I saw was the other night: a repeat viewing of Last Year at Marienbad - I'm quite partial to French films.

Nightspore; - these films I mention have five Oscars a piece or more. Not heard of "Last Year at Marienbad." I can see the appeal of French films, less action - less is more. The camera zooms in for a close up of lips moving or of a table, and back out again.

Milamber; - "The Exorcist" doesn't appeal to me, in fact I avoid the 18 cert films. That level of shock, horror, revulsion, material doesn't entertain me. Cert 15 is my limit!!

Enjoyed "Coraline" this week - that's a bit of a disturbing film but very clever. Great author - Neil Gaiman.

--------------
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 04:44

Then preserve them ears as TB will be changed for you forever should you do. :)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 04:57

Quote (milamber @ July 01 2010, 04:44)
Then preserve them ears as TB will be changed for you forever should you do. :)

Yes TB is still as innocent and pure as the driven snow. Can't say the same for "Music for Airports" - that's been tainted with going to see Lovely Bones this year :zzz:

--------------
Profile PM 
Cooper Roy Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 16:03

Quote (nightspore @ July 01 2010, 04:06)

You and John Foxx,nightspore. He rattles-on at length about the influence of that film on his audio-visual work on an interview CD I
happen to have.
(Another artists website wherein I roam and ramble)   ;)

CR

--------------
"I have nothing but sympathy for how people behave-and nothing but laughter to console them with.Laughter is my religion.In the manner of most religions, I admit my laughter is pretty desperate."
                                                                   John Irving
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 17:18

Quote (Silver Negus @ June 30 2010, 23:33)
Have you lot been on special pills?  :D
What the blazes is all the discussion about now? hahahha!

Hiya Silver
Yes your right ,Nightspore in his wisdom sent me some anti meglamaniac pills but i think ive quickly built up a tolerance to them :D
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 01 2010, 22:09

Ha ha! Milamber, who's that bloke in the hairdryer in your signature pic?

Cooper Roy: John Foxx - the name rings a bell (to use a very Tubularian phrase!;)

Wiga - Last Year in Marienbad is just about the artiest film you can imagine. Made in 1961 by French director Resnais, it's set in a vast, empty, baroque hotel, with endless tracking shots and repeated musings about the place. The story consists in the attempts of a nameless character to persuade another nameless character that he met her last year "at Marienbad". It's very dreamlike and surrealistic - one famous shot is of the hotel's vast formal garden where the trees cast shadows but the people don't. It's incredibly boring but at the same time incredibly fascinating!
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: July 02 2010, 20:11

Quote (nightspore @ July 02 2010, 13:09)
Ha ha! Milamber, who's that bloke in the hairdryer in your signature pic?

Nightspore its a character from Babylon 5 that little show that put Star Trek (insert yawn) back in its box.
Boring and fascinating French movie, sounds like Summer in St.Tropez HaHaHa :O  ;)
Profile PM 
40 replies since June 26 2010, 21:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net