Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New MP3 Interview from Universal D (Press Kit)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
alexander.schweigert Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 14 2005, 17:59

Hi,

From Universal Germany, Mike Oldfield Light and Shade Audio Press Kit.

All 13 Files will be online Monday Night (Permission from Universal) , some files will be online this weekend.  

http://www.oldfield.de/2005....ade.php

Regards
Alex Schweigert ; oldfield.de

--------------
www.oldfield.de
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2005, 18:37

Wooden... trying to make something impressive... oh jeez... YOU DID MAN!

You know, after all the development and self reorientation Mike has supposed to have gone through, it sounds to me as though he's just relinquished his cross... gotten with the program... given in. How can I explain it...

As though when in the 70's and 80's there was something very pure to communicate, something very complex and intricate. Now there isn't that? That through becoming at peace with onesself he has managed to strip himself of a whole method of creating albums? That not only his style - but his entire methodology has completely changed...?

And yes, this seems to confirm it. He all but made a technical demonstration album. Which was the first synth to use... we'll use that one. Oh, that one sounds good...

Oh my god. This isn't music to me, this is rubbish. And what's really frightening is, some of it is actually pretty good. (Angelique, Sunset, First Steps) Now, as far as this album is concerned, I am completely confused. I just don't know what to think. :/

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2005, 18:59

Quote (arron11196 @ Oct. 15 2005, 00:37)
Oh my god. This isn't music to me, this is rubbish. And what's really frightening is, some of it is actually pretty good. (Angelique, Sunset, First Steps) Now, as far as this album is concerned, I am completely confused. I just don't know what to think. :/

I can tell you. You like it.

Why does it matter how it was done if it sounds good to you?
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 02:57

Because everything that makes an album alters my perception of it.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 04:33

Well, fair enough, though personally I wouldn't let those things spoil an album for me.
Profile PM 
ToroAcu Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 09:55

Hello.

In Taurus IV Blog yours can listen the tracks 08 and 13 from the interview.

Thanks, Alex.
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 10:01

Why does Mike sound slightly Australian???  :D

I found this interview really interesting  :cool:

Thanks  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 13:41

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Oct. 15 2005, 11:01)
Why does Mike sound slightly Australian???  :D

I found this interview really interesting  :cool:

Thanks  :)

Maybe he still had that flu when they recorded it.In two interviews I've read,he commented he had flu.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 14:03

Light and Shade sounds like it was made in 2005???? Sounds to me like it was made in 1996.

Mike thinks some parts of his early albums sound wooden???? I'd say a lot of L+S sounds positively Oak treeish in that case, with a touch of Elm   :D

Albums cost huge amounts of money to make? Hang on I thought he just said any teenager has the means to make one in their bedroom.
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 15 2005, 20:00

More 2 files,now related to Schiller and their collaboration -
Mike Oldfield talks about Schiller

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 06:05

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 15 2005, 19:03)
Mike thinks some parts of his early albums sound wooden????

Actually I've always thought so myself, but I think it may be that people are interpreting the word 'wooden' in different ways. What I mean by it is a primarily physical acoustic (not musical) quality: a certain dullness or wooliness in the character of the sound, a lack of life or resonance in the sound of certain passages, as though some of the instruments were being played inside a wooden box. (This was the primary reason why I was so delighted with TB2003, which swept all that woodenness away.)

Light and Shade isn't wooden in that sense at all. If I were trying to find an adjective that described the aspects of L&S that I struggle with, it wouldn't be 'wooden', but more like 'mechanical', or 'sterilised'.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 07:25

Its just this obsession Mike has with modern sound. Mike's got to be aware that quite a few musicians and producers go to the ends of the earth to get their albums sounding as if they were made with that 70's sound that most people, except him obviously, rightly identify with a musical timelessness and a real warmth of sound, something which TB2003 and all his recent stuff sorely lacks.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 07:40

I thought we'd all learnt by now that Mike isn't the best in the world in expressing his ideas through words. I also thought we'd learnt by now that Mike tends to change his ideas in interviews every 5 minutes. I tend to not pay attention to what he says in interviews all that much.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 07:40

Its just this obsession Mike has with modern sound. Mike's got to be aware that quite a few musicians and producers go to the ends of the earth to get their albums sounding as if they were made with that 70's sound that most people, except him obviously, rightly identify with a musical timelessness and a real warmth of sound, something which TB2003 and all his recent stuff sorely lacks.

70s sound is great for 70s albums. In most cases, it's really dull when it's done now. It's not real, it's just a recreation of a time long gone. The 70s sound is not timeless at all, but rather, very very dated.

All of this, of course, IMO.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2005, 07:55

I'm not talking about deliberately imitating a 70's band. I'm talking about using 70's hardware for production purposes. In most cases you probably wouldn't recognise it becuase its been mixed magically with modern equipment for a real timeless feel. Dance acts like the Chemical Brothers and the Prodigy (and tons of others) have been known to fork out a ton of cash for genuine valve amplifiers, mixing desks and ancient keyboards from the 70's and yet will obviously use this stuff with the very latest musical technology to get their amazing sounds.

Anyway I agree with Raven4x4x. I don't actually think Mike makes many of his comments or indeed writes music these days with much degreee of insight. Not that I form any of my comments with any degree of insight but at least I try  ;)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 21:23

http://s52.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0WTH6SYT4A0WS3O71L2XCVXPGJ
the hole interview  ;)
Share it and hear it!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Oct. 17 2005, 22:26

Very nice..although saying that Millennum Bell was Mike's best regarding live concerts,nope,I do not agree at all  :(

Even simple concerts can be memorable also, Mike  ;)

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 02:16

Thanks!
Profile PM 
cjm Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 12:38

Thank you very much for sharing this!
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2005, 18:02

You can find the whole Interview even in video at http://www.mikeoldfield.de (click on the headlines).

P.S.: I apologize if someone finds any mistakes in my German translation (which eventually made it through oldfield.de to the official Universal page)
Profile PM WEB 
20 replies since Oct. 14 2005, 17:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net