Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Mike Box Set< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
spark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 15 2014, 06:00

Theres a 8 cd box set coming from Warners in October .
Called studio albums 1992-2003 .
180 g Vinyl as well .
Nothing to do with the reissues that have been coming out the past few years .
I thought Mike owned all his back catalogue now .
Seems like a bit of a cash in job for Christmas .
£22.00 on Amazon .
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2014, 12:56

So far as I know, Mike himself only owns the rights to the albums originally released by Virgin (so basically, everything up to Heaven's Open) and also the newer stuff on Universal (Light + Shade onwards).

The stuff in the middle (i.e. everything in this set, plus the live Millennium Concert album) is still in the hands of Warners.

Shame this appears to be just a straight repackaging job, with no bonus tracks. Although I have all the singles from the era, some of those B-sides really deserve a re-issue.

Question: my version of TB3 is one of those copy-protected discs that doesn't play in computers. Has there ever been a reissue on a 'normal' CD? I remember a TB 2/3/2003 box set a few years ago, what sort of disc did that come on?

I might be tempted to get this set if it has a proper CD of TB3 in it!!!
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2014, 08:19

Its so weird that Mike re recorded TB1 in 2003 because he didnt own the original and now he dosnt own the re recorded version !
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 22 2014, 15:25

Quote (spark @ Aug. 22 2014, 05:19)
Its so weird that Mike re recorded TB1 in 2003 because he didnt own the original and now he dosnt own the re recorded version !

I thought the reason was he couldn't live with the impefections in the original recording any more? (Later on, said he re-realized the beauty of imperfections. And then we got MOTR with in my opinion the wrong kinds of imperfections/spontaneity at his level.)
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2014, 16:07

As I understand it, the thinking behind TB2003 was that Mike was signed to Warners, yet his most famous composition, Tubular Bells, was still a Virgin property.

Any time TB was used in an advertisement, or a TV show, or even on the radio, Warner never saw any of the cash because the rights to the recording were owned by Virgin.

Wanting a slice of the pie, Warners persuaded Mike to re-record the thing, and make a Tubular Bells that Warners could exploit.

And exploit it they did, releasing a Tubular Bells 1-3 box set (with the 2003 version replacing the original), and asking that programme-makers and broadcasters use 'their' version (which the layman wouldn't be able to discern from the original anyway).

That way, Warners had both the man AND a version of his most famous work under wraps.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2014, 11:33

Warners havnt got a new date for this release yet .
Manufacturing difficulties , so they say ?
Profile PM 
GrassySound Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2015, 09:11

I received this set yesterday.  While the price can't be beat (essentially $4.50 a disc), there are no liner notes for the discs.  Each is in a cardboard sleeve, with just the front and back covers on the sleeves.  This really bothers me, because I'm very keen on knowing the musicians who participated, additional artwork, etc.
Profile PM 
6 replies since Aug. 15 2014, 06:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net