Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Deluxe Editions coming July 2011< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 05:09

Quote (Tales of Zelos @ Mar. 10 2011, 10:05)
Quote (Matt @ Mar. 10 2011, 04:16)
PLEASE get back on topic: Incantations.

...and Exposed. Poor defenseless Exposed. Don't make me start another thread  :)

:D fair point. Just what will be in "the next wave".....

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 06:43

Quote (Tales of Zelos @ Mar. 10 2011, 05:05)

...and Exposed. Poor defenseless Exposed. Don't make me start another thread  :)

Oho! Tales of Zelos is really Matt under another name! Must be something to do with Cav LV's birthday bash  :laugh:

Back on topic: will there be an "incident" in Incantations?
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 08:32

Ha....dunno but I am sooooo looking forward to an Incanted July that my normal amount patience is taxed. BTW--I happen to love the Exposed version even if it is missing one of my all-time favorite MO riffs that occurs in part IV--in Exp pt. 1 it's about the piano at the end of part I and when Maddy P's voice comes in during pt.2--get chills even when dancing to it in the depths and heat of summer. The other day while riding the bus and listening to pt. IV, I realised I could be working on the bass section. The bass line seems pretty straightfoward (fatal last words! ), though the timing will complicate it (even if I dance to that same bass line) ! Now my fingers just have to dance the bass. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 08:37

Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 10 2011, 08:32)
Ha....dunno but I am sooooo looking forward to an Incanted July that my normal amount patience is taxed. BTW--I happen to love the Exposed version even if it is missing one of my all-time favorite MO riffs that occurs in part IV--in Exp pt. 1 it's about the piano at the end of part I and when Maddy P's voice comes in during pt.2--get chills even when dancing to it in the depths and heat of summer. The other day while riding the bus and listening to pt. IV, I realised I could be working on the bass section. The bass line seems pretty straightfoward (fatal last words! ), though the timing will complicate it (even if I dance to that same bass line) ! Now my fingers just have to dance the bass. :)

You will have to change your name to Inkanta (Next Wave)  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 15:41

I'm wondering how much Incantations has been 'treated' by Mike.

It has always been one of my favorite albums, and it was mixed quite well (but maybe that's just my taste with the analogue mixes).

I really hope he hasn't altered much, and just added more clarity and some extra low-end to the new mix.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 15:49

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Mar. 10 2011, 20:41)
I really hope he hasn't altered much, and just added more clarity and some extra low-end to the new mix.

A la Tubular Bells 2009 mix.
I personally dislike this penchant for new mixes. Remaster the originals to state of the art, and include as much unissued or rare material as possible.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 15:50

The monthly magazine of Norwich's daily morning paper, the Eastern Daily Press, has Emma Freud on the cover regarding her Comic Relief and Norfolk connections.  The article acknowledges that her first job was as a musician on Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells tour.

This is the first profile/interview of her that I've seen that has at least mentioned the crucial link, so has anyone actually ever tackled her about her experiences on the Exposed Tour?  Or is it something she carefully avoids!

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 15:54

OW! And something really important!

Add 'Pipe Tune' to the album Universal!!! It has never been released on cd before, and it's one of my favorite singles!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2011, 17:09

Noting that HR had a new cover..... for the new cover for Incantations Mike should go back to Cala Pregonda in Menorca and take some great pictures of his Jake and Eugene emjoying the beach - here is some inspiration for Mike featuring my own kids!

Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2011, 05:13

Re-release on 4th April according to Amazon UK :-

The Collection 1974 - 1983

:cool:
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2011, 07:24

Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 12 2011, 05:13)
Re-release on 4th April according to Amazon UK :-

The Collection 1974 - 1983

:cool:

Someone has the dates wrong. Tracks listed are from 75-83, not 1974!

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2011, 10:57

@captain--that's just too cute. :)

BTW for a variation, for years I have dreamt about how Part II's lyrics could be replaced by a poem sung in Anishinaabemowin (the language of the people from which Longfellow appropriated the Song of Hiawatha, though Hiawatha was the amalgemation of the Ojibwe/Annisinaabe culture hero and the real Iroquois/Haudenosaunne leader, Iionwatha).

OK...back to reality. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2011, 16:13

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Mar. 10 2011, 20:50)
This is the first profile/interview of her that I've seen that has at least mentioned the crucial link ...

It's the first mention of Ms. Freud's invovment I've heard of in print or anywhere :-)
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2011, 16:16

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Mar. 10 2011, 20:54)
Add 'Pipe Tune' to the album Universal!!! It has never been released on cd before, and it's one of my favorite singles!

Mine too. The excerpt from Incantations at the end is a treat.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2011, 21:49

Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 12 2011, 10:57)
@captain--that's just too cute. :)

BTW for a variation, for years I have dreamt about how Part II's lyrics could be replaced by a poem sung in Anishinaabemowin (the language of the people from which Longfellow appropriated the Song of Hiawatha, though Hiawatha was the amalgemation of the Ojibwe/Annisinaabe culture hero and the real Iroquois/Haudenosaunne leader, Iionwatha).

OK...back to reality. :)

Minnehaha gets a mention in the next song on the C and W  thread, Inkanta  :)
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2011, 13:37

Quote (Tales of Zelos @ Mar. 10 2011, 05:05)

Exposed, exposed, exposed, jehova, jehova, jehova... *boing*
Who threw that rock? Who threw that?
She! she! sh... He! He! He! He!

*random application of Monty Python scene*

I am really interested what will the content be. I hope it will be worth it otherwise I'm buying just the CD. I have enough LPs already. :)
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2011, 14:52

Quote (Hastengas @ Feb. 18 2011, 03:23)
Underwhelmed downunder here.......the cynical me I guess, but this re-issue thing has been done to death and it prays financially on us Oldfield fools who keep on buying. Give us something NEW Mr O.....its overdue.

Two points....

1) These old Virgin albums have been deleted, and are no longer being produced. These albums are amazing, and they deserved to be put out there, on the market, for everyone to enjoy. It's not just about scourging the fans for money, it's about making this brilliant music available again. And thankfully, while they're going about re-releasing them, they're putting all this bonus material on there as well!

2) No-one has a gun to your head forcing you to buy this stuff. If you are happy with your current copy of the albums, you are under no obligation to buy the new versions. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet and boycott the new editions!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 07:41

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Mar. 10 2011, 15:50)
This is the first profile/interview of her that I've seen that has at least mentioned the crucial link, so has anyone actually ever tackled her about her experiences on the Exposed Tour?  Or is it something she carefully avoids!

I've heard it mentioned at least a couple of times in articles about her. The only time I've actually heard her speak about it was in a radio interview which I think may have been round about the time of TB2's release, though it might have been a bit more recent than that. All she spoke about was what an experience it was being part of such a big production and how strange Mike's behaviour was owing to the Exegesis training he was going through.
Profile PM 
Hastengas Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 09:56

Quote (starfish @ Mar. 14 2011, 19:52)
Quote (Hastengas @ Feb. 18 2011, 03:23)
Underwhelmed downunder here.......the cynical me I guess, but this re-issue thing has been done to death and it prays financially on us Oldfield fools who keep on buying. Give us something NEW Mr O.....its overdue.

Two points....

1) These old Virgin albums have been deleted, and are no longer being produced. These albums are amazing, and they deserved to be put out there, on the market, for everyone to enjoy. It's not just about scourging the fans for money, it's about making this brilliant music available again. And thankfully, while they're going about re-releasing them, they're putting all this bonus material on there as well!

2) No-one has a gun to your head forcing you to buy this stuff. If you are happy with your current copy of the albums, you are under no obligation to buy the new versions. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet and boycott the new editions!

There are countless versions of versions out there in the market, and I like many others have quite a collection and will probably continue to do so as long as there is something a little different. My point which you entirely overlooked is that I and I think many others would actually like something new....we have had "new" Versions of the classics with TB/HG and Ommadawn recently.....and it would have been nice if it was interspersed with something entirely new.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2011, 17:53

Quote (Hastengas @ Mar. 15 2011, 09:56)
My point which you entirely overlooked is that I and I think many others would actually like something new....we have had "new" Versions of the classics with TB/HG and Ommadawn recently.....and it would have been nice if it was interspersed with something entirely new.

Don't worry, I've got something entirely new up my sleeve which I can't wait for you all to hear;)

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
139 replies since Feb. 15 2011, 19:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net