Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Cover for Deluxe Edition?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
starfish Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 18 2010, 08:11

I notice on the official store that mp3s for Five Miles Out, Platinum and QE2 are available to download.

There's no new material here (they use the 2000 Virgin HDCD masters), but interestingly the cover art for Platinum seems to have been tweaked slightly from the old CD version.

The cover now has a swish new font for the title and artist credit.

Could this be the new cover for the forthcoming Deluxe re-issue, perhaps?

New Platinum cover
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 18 2010, 12:23

The cover did need a bit of tweaking. The font and lettering looked slightly awkward on the original sleeve.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Spinne Offline

Posted: May 18 2010, 17:40

Quote (starfish @ May 18 2010, 14:11)
There's no new material here (they use the 2000 Virgin HDCD masters), but interestingly the cover art for Platinum seems to have been tweaked slightly from the old CD version.

New Platinum cover

This is the original artwork and font. The font on CDs (such as HDCD version) is the "new" one.

Seeing that the new edition of Ommadawn from Universal rescues the original font of the album, it's probably that, yes, this would be the artwork featured when Platinum would be released under Universal label.
Profile PM 
starfish Offline

Posted: May 21 2010, 18:10

Quote (Spinne @ May 18 2010, 17:40)
Quote (starfish @ May 18 2010, 14:11)

New Platinum cover

This is the original artwork and font. The font on CDs (such as HDCD version) is the "new" one.

Seeing that the new edition of Ommadawn from Universal rescues the original font of the album, it's probably that, yes, this would be the artwork featured when Platinum would be released under Universal label.

Interesting.

I'm assuming, then, that when the original vinyl 12" artwork was shrunk down to the size of a CD jewel case, the typography didn't really stand out too well on some of the albums, hence the alteration to a nice, legible, blocky font for the CD releases.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: May 22 2010, 16:17

I think that in Platinum it wasn't necessary to change it. The font on Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, Incantations and Platinum covers were changed in the CD artwork, but others such as Five Miles Out (which font on CD is very very little) was not changed.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2011, 03:52

Not much liking the idea of changing the covers like on 'Hergest irdge' and 'Incantations'. I would rather prefer the original reprint like was on the 'Ommadawn' album.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2011, 10:31

Maybe Mike doesn't like the old covers anymore, who knows? :D

Apart from that, I think that Universal's policy of reverting to the original fonts for the covers stems from their usual practice of issuing Deluxe Editions of old albums whose covers have been recreated to look like the sleeves of the original vinyl LPs in every detail, including the fonts. The sleeve of the Five Miles Out album, of which I've got a Virgin Italy vinyl print, looks exactly like the image on the Universal website. Yes, the font is small, but it was also small on the original release. I guess Mike wanted to give more importance to the painting than to his name. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2011, 11:06

Agree with the fonts on Five Miles Out (i have the Japanese mini lp version of it) wchich are small. The same with Exposed (also have it on mini lp release), where the fonts are extremely small. But i like it the way it is - just a replica of the original LP.
Profile PM 
7 replies since May 18 2010, 08:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net