Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New compilation and 6 album set< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 22 2012, 17:23

I see TMB as some sort of akward compilation (perhaps more generally of music history than his own career) already, so it kind of makes sense for me to give it a lot of importance in a compilation, on an artistic point of view. Not sure it would work commercially though.

also, TMB is a compilation of itself in the last track. :) it's the black hole of his career
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 22 2012, 17:35

Quote (Olivier @ June 22 2012, 22:23)
TMB is a compilation of itself in the last track. :) it's the black hole of his career

No, that would be Tres Lunas - or maybe parts of Light & Shade :)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 23 2012, 05:03

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ June 22 2012, 17:35)
Quote (Olivier @ June 22 2012, 22:23)
TMB is a compilation of itself in the last track. :) it's the black hole of his career

No, that would be Tres Lunas - or maybe parts of Light & Shade :)

To be honest, i must say that i just can't stand the Millenium Bell track (even when the rest of TMB album is quite good and like to listen to it) and i was negatively surprised when i first heard it. I know, that this album was "something special thing" to celebrate the 2k year and was made also for the millenium show purposes as well, so i gave to that track a slightly excuse.

However, when i heard it for the first time, i was sure, that Mike will be playing techno (Mike went into techno path on the TB3 album already, but then it was just faint beginnings, and IMHO we can't count TSODE as a techno) in the future albums, what made me sad... But when he released Tres Lunas I breathed a sigh of relief... and then came TB2003... :)
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: June 23 2012, 05:30

Well, I can relate to the choices Mike has made. I personally would have made some space for Mont St. Michel instead of some pieces of TMB, but who am I to challenge the master's choice....  But my  conclusion is that this compilation is quite good. Especially when I try to imagine what would be the best tracks to give people who don't know his work very well, or not at all, an introduction into the wonderful music of Mike Oldfield. Having done that, I think this is a nice tracklist for sure.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 23 2012, 05:56

No "Wind Chimes"? A bit surprising, but it seems that Mike (just like me) thinks that it was a bit of a failure compared to what came before (The Lake) and after (Amarok).

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 23 2012, 07:11

Quote (Reena @ June 23 2012, 05:30)
Well, I can relate to the choices Mike has made. I personally would have made some space for Mont St. Michel instead of some pieces of TMB, but who am I to challenge the master's choice....  But my  conclusion is that this compilation is quite good. Especially when I try to imagine what would be the best tracks to give people who don't know his work very well, or not at all, an introduction into the wonderful music of Mike Oldfield. Having done that, I think this is a nice tracklist for sure.

Mont St. Michel is actually much better work than all TMB album. It's a beautiful short suite. Great track!
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: June 23 2012, 07:34

Quote (equinoxe @ June 23 2012, 13:11)
Quote (Reena @ June 23 2012, 05:30)

Mont St. Michel is actually much better work than all TMB album. It's a beautiful short suite. Great track!

I certainly agree on that... But Mike feels better about TMB I guess.... Too bad for the fans who think otherwise, but I'm willing to accept that fact... ;-)
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 23 2012, 07:40

The Millennium Bell track has a full blown, faster-than-light, anti-gravity escape route out of the black hole for the sublime moment where Sunlight... and Lake Constance collpase in on one another :)  :)  :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 23 2012, 10:45

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ June 23 2012, 07:40)
The Millennium Bell track has a full blown, faster-than-light, anti-gravity escape route out of the black hole for the sublime moment where Sunlight... and Lake Constance collpase in on one another :)  :)  :)

Thanks for reminding me. We don't study enough his transitions. In Incantations in particular, I almost like the more the silent but meaningful musical universe in between the notes we hear than the notes themselves.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 23 2012, 20:59

Quote (Olivier @ June 23 2012, 10:45)

Thanks for reminding me. We don't study enough his transitions. In Incantations in particular, I almost like the more the silent but meaningful musical universe in between the notes we hear than the notes themselves.

yes and there isn't any Incantations in the "two sides" at all.  Maybe he'd had enough of it after last year.  For me it was the high point of his career.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 24 2012, 01:28

Quote (captainjjb @ June 24 2012, 12:59)

yes and there isn't any Incantations in the "two sides" at all.  Maybe he'd had enough of it after last year.  For me it was the high point of his career.

A high point yes (And a favourite of mine too)..But for the non fan not really instantly accessible.....
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: June 24 2012, 04:17

Quote (Milamber @ June 24 2012, 07:28)

A high point yes (And a favourite of mine too)..But for the non fan not really instantly accessible.....

Well, it depends on which excerpts are chosen, but in my opinion Amarok is even less accessible than Incantations for the non-fans. Mike is probably only human... When he chose the tracks for this compilation he was probably a little fed up with Incantations. When I have listened to an album several times in a row, I also turn to something else.... Right now I'm rediscovering Discovery.... ;-)
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: June 24 2012, 04:48

Good point  :)

Discovery..Be sure to take the Viareggio 84 Bootleg for a spin too...
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 24 2012, 05:18

Quote (Reena @ June 24 2012, 04:17)
Quote (Milamber @ June 24 2012, 07:28)
The Millennium Bell track has a full blown, faster-than-light, anti-gravity escape route out of the black hole for the sublime moment where Sunlight... and Lake Constance collpase in on one another :) :)  :)

Well, it depends on which excerpts are chosen, but in my opinion Amarok is even less accessible than Incantations for the non-fans. Mike is probably only human... When he chose the tracks for this compilation he was probably a little fed up with Incantations. When I have listened to an album several times in a row, I also turn to something else.... Right now I'm rediscovering Discovery.... ;-)

Maybe Amarok is less acceptable from all his albums but for me is just #1 in his discography - a timeless masterpiece :) Hmm... Incantations is the album that i listen to very uncommonly. Maybe this is because of this all orchestral arrangement. Many vocalizations, many orchestral sounds, but a little of Oldfield playing in it (please, don't scream at me now!! It's only my feelings). Part 2 is just boring, the same with part 4... Part 1 and 3 are better but overall i just don't like this album much...  I like even The Killing Fields soundtrack more than Incantations... Maybe i just don't like the guitar playing style on this album. In Amarok guitars are very agressive, massive and sudden (the same as in Ommadawn or Taurus 2 but even more! ). Maybe this is the best thing i like in Oldfield music - screaming and aggressive guitars (and not exactly speed playing, because i feel the same with Oceania track which i can express as "romantic aggressiveness" type of guitar playing :) ) because this associate me with Mike exposing his deepest musical emotions by playing like that.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 24 2012, 07:54

Quote (Reena @ June 24 2012, 04:17)
but in my opinion Amarok is even less accessible than Incantations for the non-fans.

The only thing that makes Amarok not too easily accessible is the fact that its an hour long and only one track. Other than that I'd say its actually his most easily admired albums. Its the first album I point people in the direction of when introducing his music. It pretty much sums up everything which is great about his  music in one huge hour long chunk of genius.
Its interesting if you read the comments underneath one of the  the youtube entries for Amarok. It was a featured album on the Cracked website so lots of people recently discovered it having never heard it before and its great reading how blown away they are by it. Its like they're now new followers to the religious experience that is Amarok lol. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjGTxoXtSI

728 likes versus 9 dislikes. But as someone else commented the 9 dislikes were all posted by Richard Branson.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 24 2012, 08:53

Quote (TOBY @ June 24 2012, 07:54)
The only thing that makes Amarok not too easily accessible is the fact that its an hour long and only one track.

Agree. But Amarok actually is a massive compliation of a short themes connected through all the long track, and some of these themes are very nice melodies, some are more aggressive parts and some are totally music collages. Everyone can find on this album something he likes :) BTW i always treated Amarok like one long instrumental track - not a separate themes.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 24 2012, 09:00

Quote (TOBY @ June 24 2012, 07:54)
728 likes versus 9 dislikes. But as someone else commented the 9 dislikes were all posted by Richard Branson.

Doesn't Mike reconciled with Branson sometime around 1998? Branson was even on the Tubular Bells 3 premiere show...
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 24 2012, 15:20

Funny, I love and admire Incantations over all his work, but I think Amarok is awful.  Proof indeed that you can't please everyone, especially his fans.
Profile PM 
nickko Offline

Posted: June 25 2012, 04:27

Amarok is a masterpiece, total music, without compromise, without any justification. It is also a caricature of the music according Oldfield, the climax, unexpected words, and so on... Personally this is not the album I use to explain why I love his music, yet it's among my three favorite in his discography.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Posted: June 25 2012, 05:09

What album do you use to demonstrate your Love of his music..?

"The Complete"????
Profile PM 
125 replies since June 22 2012, 06:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net