Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New compilation and 6 album set< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 22 2012, 06:08

Mercury/Universal have now officially announced the new 2 CD compilation Two Sides and the 6 CD 'Classic Album Selection' set.

They tell us that what makes Two Sides unique is that every aspect - from the choice and order of tracks, to the cover artwork - has been overseen by Mike himself.

The track listing for Two Sides is:

Tubular Bells (excerpt)
Ommadawn (excerpt)
Crises (excerpt)
The Lake (excerpt)
Amarok (excerpt 1)
Amarok (excerpt 2)
Sentinel
Supernova
Ascension
The Tempest

Guilty (7" version)
Family Man
Five Miles Out
Moonlight Shadow
Shadow on the Wall
To France
Etude
Magic Touch
Islands
Heaven's Open
Tattoo
The Song of the Sun
Summit Day
Lake Constance
Broad Sunlit Uplands
The Doges' Palace
Amber Light
Angelique
On My Heart

The Classic Album Selection features Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, Incantations, Platinum and QE2, presented in cardboard 'mini LP' sleeves.

Both are to be released on July 23rd.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 06:26

The press release, for those interested!

------

Pioneering musician Mike Oldfield releases self-compiled 'career retrospective'
+ Classic Album Selection
23rd July 2012

The music of Mike Oldfield is some of the most spiritual, ethereal, reflective and sensual in rock - and above all, incomparable,… it's no wonder he is true British icon. 'Two Sides', to be released on July 23rd, is a career retrospective, personally compiled and sequenced by Mike himself.

One of the most successful artists of all time, since the release of his seminal album Tubular Bells - which kick-started the Virgin Records label and Richard Branson's fledgling business empire in 1973, selling some 17m copies - the award-winning producer/musician has continued to break new ground with each fresh body of work; other landmarks in Oldfield’s career include eight Top 10 UK Albums, including two further Number 1s, 'Hergest Ridge' and 'Tubular Bells II', plus a string of classic singles including 'Moonlight Shadow' and 'Family Man'.

Moreover, Oldfield is one of those rare breeds of composer whose music continues to be re-evaluated and re-appreciated to this very day,… which is why this 2-CD/download career retrospective will be warmly welcomed by fans old and new.

The self-taught multi-instrumentalist, producer and composer has worked throughout his career across a staggering variety of music styles – from folk and progressive rock to jazz, electronic, ambient, new age, world, pop and even disco.  So it is fitting that a broad palette of his work is reflected here, with disc one he takes us on a musical journey through his more esoteric, experimental side and disc two contains his best loved tracks and hit singles.

Oldfield says, "This collection is my own personal choice of what I consider to be my best instrumental and songwriting works to date. These tracks may, or may not have been my most critically or commercially successful at the time but in my heart of hearts and in my judgement they represent the closest I have come to my best creativity."

It has also been announced that Oldfield is to release 'Mike Oldfield: Classic Album Selection (Six Albums 1973-1980)' on the same day as 'Two Sides'. Presented as mini-LPs housed in an attractive slipcase, 'Classic Album Selections (Six Albums 1973-1980)' is a 6 CD limited edition album mini box set that provides the perfect period - overview of Mike Oldfield's amazing Career. It includes the legendary albums Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn, Incantations, Platinum and QE2.

Two Sides is nothing short of a 'must buy' for any music aficionado.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 22 2012, 06:34

It's always nice to see an excerpt from Amarok on the compilation :) I'am curious about what fragments they have choosen...

Another curious thing is that 6-albums pack released as a mini lp's, because I already have all Virgin era albums collection released as a mini lp's in Japan (the first series from 2007), so will be able to compare those with the new ones...
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 22 2012, 06:50

So… is that the project of a lifetime then?
Profile PM 
sverm Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 06:51

The Lake!  That is the first time I've seen this considered anywhere on a compilation!  Truly one of my favorites!
Profile PM 
Dunebasher Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 06:54

Sorry, I don't see why I should be in any way excited about this. I've got all those tracks already, in some cases I have them more than once. Why should I buy them again?
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 07:04

Thank you, Korgscrew!  I was about to ask for a division of topics; losing count of how many times the tracklisting questions were answered. ;)

I like enough of what I see in the compilation to despair at how I'll need to re-budget July again. :/   Which bits of which, we shall debate and eventually find out, but at first glances it's been the out of sequence Millennium Bell tracks that have intrigued.  They may sound strange by themselves but I'll be fairly keen to see how they begin and end.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 22 2012, 07:15

Quote (equinoxe @ June 22 2012, 12:34)
It's always nice to see an excerpt from Amarok on the compilation :) I'am curious about what fragments they have choosen...

im very curious on these too...
I think this compilation looks great.. finally some new works is added.. Like "the Lake" and Ascension.. for Ascension and supernova i wonder if these tracks are cross faded???

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
kcarr292 Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 11:11

I hope this isn't classed as the "project of a lifetime". As other users are pointing out I have all this stuff already. What we really need is some new music from Mike, not re-releases of old material in a new cover. I welcomed the deluxe editions of the first few albums, where there was something different added (eg "lost" Ommadawn) but we all desperately want to hear something new. Or has the creative well dried up?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 11:42

I agree kcarr292 .... I was hoping the "project of a lifetime" was a hint at a major new music release rather than the Olympic ceremony TB thing as stated on DARK STAR's website.   :(
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 11:51

Quote (kcarr292 @ June 22 2012, 15:11)
I hope this isn't classed as the "project of a lifetime".

No, it's not. What is classed as the 'project of a lifetime' is another matter, but it's not this!

Compilations like this are never aimed at the hard-core fans. I think it's an interesting concept and certainly a slightly more unusual selection the 'average' Mike Oldfield compilation.

Compilations are just a fact of music industry life - record companies (rightly or wrongly) feel that they're necessary for the casual buyer, and the person looking for an introduction into an artist's work.

With Mike having moved his back catalogue to Mercury, all these new releases are necessary, as his Virgin-era albums are all out of print. I'm sure that Mercury/Universal are very much aware that there's a large number of people who have the material already, but they're also hoping to attract a new generation of buyers to Mike's music, and working on making sure that his albums continue to be available for sale. That's going to necessarily involve issuing all the old stuff again - and I suspect there'd have been just as much, if not more, complaint if they'd basically repackaged the old 2000 remasters and released those.

I can see how the involvement of Mike and the choices he's made are proving controversial, but then it is his music. Not that we shouldn't necessarily try to suggest that there might be other viewpoints on some of his material and that those choices maybe ought to be reconsidered at some point (and certainly not to say that it isn't worthy of debate), but I think to an extent, we'll just have to live with his choices and decide whether we want to buy the products or not. Ultimately, if they don't sell any, they'll probably reassess their strategy.

There's been enough talk, in various contexts, of Mike working on new material, so I don't think there's any need to give up hope there. He'll work on it at his own pace and announcements will be made when the time is right, and I don't think that any of these back catalogue releases should be seen as something that's taking the place of him doing that. Rather, they're a sign of his choice of approach, that he also wants to take some time to look over his past and take stock a little.

Nobody's saying any of us should be excited (apart from the tone of some of the press releases, but they're always like that!) about the back catalogue releases - I can say that I'm not. Interested, yes, but not excited. We put this news up here because we know people want to hear it (it's been doing the rounds in various parts of the forum and elsewhere, during the time we were waiting for official confirmation!). Once there's confirmed news of new projects, we'll make sure everyone gets to see that too.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 11:57

Some very sentient and well made points there Korgscrew, thanks:)

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 11:58

Quote (HuanCry @ June 22 2012, 15:42)
I was hoping the "project of a lifetime" was a hint at a major new music release rather than the Olympic ceremony TB thing as stated on DARK STAR's website.   :(

That may or may not have been what it actually was referring to.

Merely including Tubular Bells and In Dulci Jubilo in the Olympic opening ceremony wouldn't require Mike to buy new speakers, I'd say (unless he's hoping to blast it all the way over to London from the Bahamas, perhaps...).

I think it's best we don't jump to any conclusions until the full news is out there - though of course it's perhaps best in these cases to assume the most boring outcome possible then be pleasantly surprised, rather than disappointed!
Profile PM 
amazen Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 13:46

I will certainly buy this compilation, because I like very much, particularly, the first CD, with some of my best favorites Oldfield tracks (Amarok, The Lake, Ascension, Crises...). Very good choice for me, not only personally, but I found it very attractive and representative for new listeners. If I had tried to make my own compilation for a friend to make him discover Oldfield's music, it would not have been very far from that.

The 2nd CD is less attractive for me, as I prefer long instrumentals to songs, but hits like Moonlight Shadow or To France are indispensable in an Oldfield's compilation. And it's  cool to have "unusual" tracks like Summit Day that I adore. Except for "The Doge's palace" :zzz:  and 4 tracks for the only Millenium Bell CD (even if classical-like Lake Constance and Broad Sunlit Uplands are so beautiful songs), I am pretty pleased for the choice.

So it will be a good gift for me... and for friends !  :)
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 22 2012, 14:14

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 22 2012, 17:51)
Quote (kcarr292 @ June 22 2012, 15:11)
I hope this isn't classed as the "project of a lifetime".

No, it's not. What is classed as the 'project of a lifetime' is another matter, but it's not this!

Compilations like this are never aimed at the hard-core fans. I think it's an interesting concept and certainly a slightly more unusual selection the 'average' Mike Oldfield compilation.

Compilations are just a fact of music industry life - record companies (rightly or wrongly) feel that they're necessary for the casual buyer, and the person looking for an introduction into an artist's work.

With Mike having moved his back catalogue to Mercury, all these new releases are necessary, as his Virgin-era albums are all out of print. I'm sure that Mercury/Universal are very much aware that there's a large number of people who have the material already, but they're also hoping to attract a new generation of buyers to Mike's music, and working on making sure that his albums continue to be available for sale. That's going to necessarily involve issuing all the old stuff again - and I suspect there'd have been just as much, if not more, complaint if they'd basically repackaged the old 2000 remasters and released those.

I can see how the involvement of Mike and the choices he's made are proving controversial, but then it is his music. Not that we shouldn't necessarily try to suggest that there might be other viewpoints on some of his material and that those choices maybe ought to be reconsidered at some point (and certainly not to say that it isn't worthy of debate), but I think to an extent, we'll just have to live with his choices and decide whether we want to buy the products or not. Ultimately, if they don't sell any, they'll probably reassess their strategy.

There's been enough talk, in various contexts, of Mike working on new material, so I don't think there's any need to give up hope there. He'll work on it at his own pace and announcements will be made when the time is right, and I don't think that any of these back catalogue releases should be seen as something that's taking the place of him doing that. Rather, they're a sign of his choice of approach, that he also wants to take some time to look over his past and take stock a little.

Nobody's saying any of us should be excited (apart from the tone of some of the press releases, but they're always like that!;) about the back catalogue releases - I can say that I'm not. Interested, yes, but not excited. We put this news up here because we know people want to hear it (it's been doing the rounds in various parts of the forum and elsewhere, during the time we were waiting for official confirmation!;). Once there's confirmed news of new projects, we'll make sure everyone gets to see that too.

Very well said, Korgscrew!

:)

But I have to admit that I tend to get excited once in a while when a new remastered edition is being published. This includes Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge with the first mix, the Lost Version of Ommadawn and Piano Improvisations on Incantations.

I have been pestering Mike in the past through all available channels to release the demos of Tubular Bells (which he has done on the DVD collection) as well as the first recording of Ommadawn (being the Lost Version).

So therefore I am very grateful to him for having those issued on the recent releases.

(By incident there´s Shadow On The Wall being played right now on the local radio station)

:)

Anyway I am still a tiny bit disappointed that a couple of tracks didn´t get a chance to be released (Froggy, Sally and Alright Now, just to mention a few).

I can understand that Mike might not be very fond of them, but hey, they were already available. So why not stick to your musical past, mate? Give it a go and we´re also looking to anything new, that you will record.

To that we can look forward. This we already have.

;)
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 14:15

Sorry, I don't see why I should be in any way excited about this. I've got all those tracks already, in some cases I have them more than once. Why should I buy them again?

I am also totally underwelmed by this. If I'm going to spend my hard earned cash on a Mike Oldfield album, then I want some new music. I don't want another compilation! :(

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 14:49

Quote (Bradnorman @ June 22 2012, 14:15)

I am also totally underwelmed by this. If I'm going to spend my hard earned cash on a Mike Oldfield album, then I want some new music. I don't want another compilation! :(

For me the more interesting thing is that pack with 6cd's released in cardboard mini lp sleeves. I like stuff like that! :)
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 15:35

Quote (Bradnorman @ June 22 2012, 14:15)

Ok, but obviously a compilation is a perfect medium to make money with little investment. It's even clear for me.
And in contrast to deluxe editions expectations are quite low regarding unreleased or new recordings.

As I've already mentioned in the Platinum/QE2 deluxe threat I respect MO's artistic freedom to compile stuff he likes.

But on the other hand the record label has to give advise if the concept is coherent or not. In my opinion the content of a compilation has to be designed for continuously listening. That's why I always hated fan's rarest stuff bootlegs where e.g. Don Alfonso is followed by Earth Moving Club Mix - if you know what I mean.
If MO and Universal call this compilation "Two Sides"  you expect a concept: 1th side  e.g. suitable instrumental works - 2nd side e.g. vocal tracks (Good examples for  perfect, coherent compilation are The Complete or The [Danish] Collection).
But on the new one Ommadawn is followed by Crises, Sentinel is on the 1th side, Tattoo on the 2nd, 20% of the 2nd side consists of Millennium Bell tracks.... for me this is quite strange and I'm not interested in such a combination of tracks.
Finally the cover art work looks embarrassingly homemade. I ask myself if there aren't any young an talented people at Universal who could present MO's work in a contemporarily, appropriately and worthily way.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 16:02

Its a fairly erratic compilation made all the worse by a bonkers running order. MO compilations over the years have always been faced with the dilemma of how you celebrate the diversity of his career without getting caught up in how erratic its been. The Complete MO collection is still by far the best in my opinion. With each side devoted to a certain element of his output. The Elements box set made the mistake of putting everything in chronological order which just didn't work as well.

Its good to see The Lake on there. Superb piece. Weird that he hasn't chosen the Maddy Prior bit from Incantations part 4. I thought that would have been a no brainer.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 16:54

Quote (TOBY @ June 22 2012, 16:02)
Weird that he hasn't chosen the Maddy Prior bit from Incantations part 4. I thought that would have been a no brainer.

Not just weird.  A compilation without Cynthia?  It's against the law!!! :D

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
125 replies since June 22 2012, 06:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net