Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New compilation and 6 album set< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
neil-h Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2012, 08:31

Now that I've got the Two Sides compilation, I've tried comparing it to the Islands HDCD version that I have and I can't really tell the difference. Does the HDCD version from 2000 contain the Jim Price version (as credited in the Islands booklet) or the Max Bacon version? Is there just a subtle difference in their vocals?

And having searched the web, I've read that Max Bacon sings the bridge/chorus on both versions? They do both sound pretty much the same to me. Mike does write in the sleeve notes to "Two Sides" that the vocals are by Max Bacon.
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 10:30

Compare the "once in a lifetime" bit at the start of the vocal. Price's one seems a little more wild (you may have to click through to YouTube on these, they don't seem to like playing in embedded form):

Jim Price vocals
Jim Price vocals

Despite what the info says if you were to watch this on YouTube, this is Max Bacon
Despite what the info says if you were to watch this on YouTube, this is Max Bacon

Now I put them together, Price's version isn't all that bad after all, but Bacon seems to have far greater control of his voice - at least on this track.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Nacho Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 10:55

Quote (olracUK @ July 30 2012, 22:25)
I war amazed to see 2 Sides being promoted in Sainsbury's and now just seem an Ad on TV. His record company finally putting some money and effort into promotion.

And I was amazed to see an Andy Carlo as "memorabilia supplier" in QE2 edition (maybe a shot with Mike on the stage, from a Tour Booklet)  :)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 11:51

Here is an unboxing video of the 6 cd boxset for those interested :-

New 6 CD Boxset

Thanks Hairy Old Hippy ... Not badd for £12 !

:)
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 12:08

Hang on, is Hairy Old Hippy also the Prog On! guy?

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
neil-h Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 12:32

Quote (CJJC @ July 31 2012, 15:30)
Compare the "once in a lifetime" bit at the start of the vocal. Price's one seems a little more wild (you may have to click through to YouTube on these, they don't seem to like playing in embedded form):

Jim Price vocals
Jim Price vocals

Now I put them together, Price's version isn't all that bad after all, but Bacon seems to have far greater control of his voice - at least on this track.

Thanks for the links. Judging by the comments on YouTube, other people seem to get confused about these too!
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 15:06

Quote (HuanCry @ July 31 2012, 11:51)
Here is an unboxing video of the 6 cd boxset for those interested :-

New 6 CD Boxset

Thanks Hairy Old Hippy ... Not badd for £12 !

:)

This is very cheap as for 6 albums, indeed! I think, i will get it!
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:20

Just spotted this on Amazon's site Mike Oldfield's Icon album iknc cover artwork
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Icon-Mi...._m_h__5
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 01:09

This is a Two Sides tv commercial (Germany):

Two Sides Commercial

By the way: What about the includes media link ? What do I get - is it worth to buy the album ?
Profile PM 
Oceano Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 06:48

My CD Just arrived. If someone is interested how it looks like here are two photos:

btw. there is ritten that bonus content is a free download, but when I went to bonus page there is only the streaming video. This I missed something?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 07:05

Would you descibe the booklet content Oceano please ... I purchased the download itunes version so no booklet  :)
Profile PM 
Oceano Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 07:09

there are only two Mike Oldfield photos (one you can see on picture), album credits and Track by track album comments by Mike  :) There is also addition front page artwork with link to bonus web.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 07:15

Quote (Oceano @ Aug. 01 2012, 12:09)
there are only two Mike Oldfield photos (one you can see on picture), album credits and Track by track album comments by Mike  :) There is also addition front page artwork with link to bonus web.

Scans for the booklet would be much appreciated (especially Mike's notes about the chosen tracks).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 07:16

Cheers Oceano .... that was quick .... So I'm not missing much .... My itunes version included the bonus video interview thankfully. Thanks Oceano  :)
Profile PM 
Oceano Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 07:19

Yes i know about the video but while I have CD it have no sense for me to download full album again on iTunes only to have a video :( I think its the same video that we can watch on bonus page. Am I wrong?  :D

btw there are 3 pictures of mike in the booklet. One is the same as official website have in a background (Mike with umbrella)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 07:52

As far as I know the videos are the same .. I tried accessing the bonus vid on the official site but it wouldn't verify my itunes version sadly !
Profile PM 
Oceano Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 08:26

insted of streaming they could give for download this video for people who have CD...
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 17:12

Can you tell me what the medialink includes and it is worth buying the CD ?
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 11:13

My disc 1 has reached its first computer;  it started with the first Amarok excerpt ( yay !;), as shuffle was on; but the official site's bonus section has requested Java 1.6.0+, which is beyond my responsibilty for now.  The quest will continue...

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 17:21

Definitely, although Mike talks about Max Bacon in the booklet, the version included in Two Sides is the Jim Price version, from the european edition of Islands.
Profile PM 
125 replies since June 22 2012, 06:08 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net