Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New Amarok book, Would you buy this book?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 02 2020, 15:24

Hi,

Some ten years ago I transcribed the entire Amarok album note for note.

It was a massive undertaking and one I am very proud to have achieved.

I am looking at writing a new book retrospectively talking about the how and why.  Alongside this I would be providing a step by step companion guide to the album analysing it’s structure whilst highlighting the key themes and deconstructing it. It would be written in a way that could be enjoyed by musicians and non musicians.

I would also be looking at getting some additional information from key figures involved in the album.

Would this be of interested, ie, would you genuinely buy a copy if it was made?

Thanks

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2020, 02:08

Ryan, I think this is a great idea, I watched your videos about your transcription when you were doing it, and the finished book was huge, if you do write this new book, it would be great to maybe to some YouTube video's to accompany it, maybe even with the links to them in the book? I am not talking about a video diary, I mean you could show on piano exactly how a musical phrase or passage is played etc.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2020, 02:33

Yes that’s a good idea. Perhaps a private YouTube link included in the book for accompanying audio examples.

I will consider that!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2020, 20:01

Good idea but commercial suicide. Not one of Mike's best sellers by a long shot. Take 1 per cent of them and 1 per cent of the latter who are musicians leaves...?
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2020, 02:37

Sounds good Ryan. Amarok might not be one of Mike's biggest sellers, but it has a huge reputation, if Mike ever considers continuing with the re-issue series, Amarok would get a huge new boost, media coverage would open up the album as never before, and it should be amazing in surround sound.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2020, 07:34

Exactly. Tubular bells has been talked about too much in my opinion.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2020, 02:12

I agree Ryan, I have watched reaction videos on YouTube listening to Mike for the first time, and they all start with Tubular Bells, but I don't think that is the best album to start with, there is to much going on, and as it sounds rough and ready it could put people off Mike, as they might think all his work sounds like that, but as time went on he turned into a better player, producer, engineer, so Tubular Bells is not the album to start with, I would say Ommadawn would be a better place to start.
Profile PM 
bluemlein Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2020, 15:14

ryan - go for it -= but keep in mind people's shortened attention spans these days.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2020, 07:12

Here is a little promo spot for the new book.

https://youtu.be/3dcLzfXGXOM

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2020, 18:49

Quote (bluemlein @ Oct. 11 2020, 15:14)
ryan - go for it -= but keep in mind people's shortened attention spans these days.

Sorry, I don't have time to read this
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 21 2020, 18:50

I know I mentioned this in the past, but have you definitely got the blessing of Mike's publishing company to sell this? This is literally what publishing companies were originally set up for, and Mike would be owed a royalty from sales as the composer.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2020, 10:59

Maybe, if Mike ever gets around to a deluxe re-release of Amarok, he could include this book too :)
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2020, 06:52

Thea...you don’t need to pay royalties to an artist when the book is about them. I think you have mistaken this book as a score/sheet music of Amarok which it isn’t.
Whilst there is an analysis of the album it is primarily a book about Amarok placing it in context, looking at its importance etc whilst also looking at the journey I went on to transcribe the album. Mike knows about that as he has a personal copy I sent him.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 25 2020, 08:59

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2020, 11:57

It definitely got to him but alas I didn’t get any feedback. Hopefully he liked it. There will be very short isolated examples in the analysis section but only for illustration purposes. The full score probably won’t get officially published.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 25 2020, 17:21

Quote (ThisName @ Oct. 25 2020, 11:52)
Thea...you don’t need to pay royalties to an artist when the book is about them. I think you have mistaken this book as a score/sheet music of Amarok which it isn’t.

That makes sense - sorry, I'd (mis)read the description as you selling the your transcription with accompanying notes and analysis.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2020, 19:52

Quote (ThisName @ Oct. 25 2020, 11:57)
It definitely got to him but alas I didn’t get any feedback. Hopefully he liked it. There will be very short isolated examples in the analysis section but only for illustration purposes. The full score probably won’t get officially published.

Yes, it would be very silly to have on a music score "shout here" or "rev motorcycle" there or "do silly impression of Margaret Thatcher" at the end.
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2020, 11:17

The score has all of those details

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 26 2020, 14:02

~ Message deleted at the request of the author ~
ThisName Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2020, 14:04

Just to confirm that the green light has been given for the book!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
23 replies since Oct. 02 2020, 15:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net