Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New album: Man On The Rocks - January 27, 2014< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ian Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 07 2013, 10:30

Quote (HuanCry @ Nov. 05 2013, 04:02)
That track shouldn't Ian. The rest are 'quite miserable yet very powerful' to quote Mike from the Innerviews  interview done recently.

Well I can assure you to me it does. I am not a fan of his song period of the later half of the 80's onwards so perhaps I am the wrong person to ask but the fact that it's done by other musicians the other side of the world doesn't endear me either. An Amarok type album would please me though .........
Profile PM WEB 
falk Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2013, 14:51

haven´t (and won´t) hear it until it comes out, except that bit, that reminded me of toto. That is NOT the sound of Earth Moving, and i most surely hope, the rest of the album wont sound like that either. Maybe not the best title, maybe not the best cover, but hey, this is not a remake. It is a brand new album from an almost retired favorite of mine. I for one am exited. I´ll get back when i get the album and have heard it
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 12 2013, 14:56

Short sample, but my 1st impression is Discovery with the sound of TB2. Not hating it so far...
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 13 2013, 07:49

Quote (Olivier @ Nov. 12 2013, 14:56)
Short sample, but my 1st impression is Discovery with the sound of TB2. Not hating it so far...

Hating it just from that description!  :laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2013, 10:52

I have just read that "The demos of all the tracks will be released on a " Special " edition."

People are very enthusiastic about this. It will be interesting to compare the album with the demos, but demos are demos, and there's a reason for that. Mike's voice probably isn't like it was 20 years ago, and as far as I know he doesn't play the drum set. So what we'll get to hear is going to be interesting, but, unlike many fans, I see no reason to expect something better than the actual album. Good news anyways.  :)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2013, 06:40

From the clip I've heard (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCifACrJX6Y) it doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all (it's AOR for god's sake), but the guitars in that track sent shivers down the spine. Echoes of Discovery-era Oldfield for sure.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2013, 14:57

I'm very enthusiast about this album.

The fact that he decided to live in the Bahamas kind of make me dream, I imagine the beautiful days with gentle wind, I imagine how well he must feel there.

And this new album seems to reflect his life there, the cover even confirming this. So for me this album is the sum of his life in the Bahamas. And after hearing the sample on the radio broadcast, I got this smile in my face confirming that this album looks great.

Can't wait to hear that, and it will make a contrast with Music of the Spheres.

I hope to hear upbeat, sunny and "Mike sailing in the Bahamas"-inspired music!
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2013, 19:58

Drealm .... From what Mike has stated already you may be in for a shock. The sailing track sample you've heard is somewhat atypical according to what he stated in a recent interview. He's stated that most of the other tracks are 'miserable yet very powerful' and it's the sort of album to drown your sorrows over a bottle of vodka(?) ... totally contrary to how he's currently feeling (notwithstanding his recent divorce ! ). It's a very personal album recalling some dark episodes in his life. Interesting though that the Sailing song is the first track of the album. Maybe the rest of the album is something of a flashback of sorts whilst Sailing does represent as you stated his current upbeat feelings about life.  :)
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2013, 05:17

I already read the recent interview...

You know, I think sometimes artists just talk about heir work in a bizarre way. When I take into account my experience with Mike Oldfield music, it's always great (to me anyway). How can he work on an album and thinking most songs are miserable...I can tell you this has not changed my enthusiasm about the album. Maybe he's too modest about it; I will not believe the album is miserable until I actually hear it.

Maybe his Bahamas phase had darker moments, but I think it has good moments too.

Seriously, just can't wait to hear this album.

I'm still waiting for this disappointing Mike album, the one that I will never really like, even after multiple listens. I know it happened to some people here a long time ago or just recently; for me this experience is yet to come. Maybe at some point, Mike will be too old to do good music; I imagine him making an album at 85, it would probably sound somewhat strange, repetitive of his older work or just dull; or maybe surprise everyone and still make great new music? Sure I would like to hear that.

Maybe MOTR will be my breaking point, who knows? The next year will answer that.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2013, 07:18

Quote (Drealm @ Nov. 23 2013, 11:17)
You know, I think sometimes artists just talk about heir work in a bizarre way. When I take into account my experience with Mike Oldfield music, it's always great (to me anyway). How can he work on an album and thinking most songs are miserable...I can tell you this has not changed my enthusiasm about the album. Maybe he's too modest about it; I will not believe the album is miserable until I actually hear it.

It seems there might be a misunderstanding here. I know "miserable" can be taken to mean "really bad" (certainly that is its meaning in German, but I see you're from Québec - not sure about the French meaning), but I'm pretty sure he meant it in the sense of "very unhappy", which is, I think, the foremost meaning in English.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2013, 07:31

I'm definitely looking forward to the new album even though I prefer Mike's instrumental works. Mike stated the new album is one of his favourites so I'm sure parts of the album will blow my mind and most other fans ! :)

The Sailing track and the one about the hurricane are linked to his Bahamas period but I believe most of the other tracks are to do with darker moments further back in his past pre. Bahamas.

When Mike states miserable I take that to mean more minor than major chords = moving and emotional as well as powerful ! :) which I tend to like from Mike. He describes it as  rock album for all the varied eclectic influences involved so I'm hoping for some hard rock tracks ... I still revere Mike's hard rock period (concert wise esp. ) from the early 80s ... FANTASTIC CONCERTS !
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2013, 07:38

I agree Holger .. When Mike states miserable he doesn't mean bad .. he means sad or sorrowful .. possibly even anger mixed in as well ... hence the 'rock album' label maybe ?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2013, 07:07

Quote (HuanCry @ Nov. 23 2013, 07:38)
I agree Holger .. When Mike states miserable he doesn't mean bad .. he means sad or sorrowful .. possibly even anger mixed in as well ... hence the 'rock album' label maybe ?

I can't for my life imagine this sad/angry style of rock music being anything more radical than tracks like Shadow on the Wall, the title track from Discovery or See the Light.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2013, 07:44

'More radical' ? ... maybe not for Mike. You never know but I'm hoping for something innovative and fresh considering it's done with a top quality band (as with Platinum which was very surprising at the time considering what had gone before).

It will be good to compare the finished album with the demos which will be released on the special edition to deduce the reasons for Mike using the band of top American session players.

From what the release statement, Mike and one of the session players has stated it will include Folk rock, Prog rock, pop (Sailing ?) , Gospel and I'm hoping for heavy rock as well ..... When Mike states he's reproducing the guitar sound from the end of part one of Ommadawn I get very excited !! :)
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Nov. 26 2013, 17:25

Quote (Holger @ Nov. 23 2013, 07:18)
Quote (Drealm @ Nov. 23 2013, 11:17)

It seems there might be a misunderstanding here. I know "miserable" can be taken to mean "really bad" (certainly that is its meaning in German, but I see you're from Québec - not sure about the French meaning), but I'm pretty sure he meant it in the sense of "very unhappy", which is, I think, the foremost meaning in English.

Yes, I really think you're right! By miserable I was thinking bad music, which is why I was all mixed up, because I could not understand an artist like Mike saying that most songs are "not good".

How can you compose a song and do it bad on purpose...for a "bad song" contest maybe...!

Of course if it means the songs are "unhappy" in their mood, it's completely different. Very good music may come from a bad mood.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2013, 03:10

Having heard the snippet more I just find it pretty awful to be honest. Even my wife who loves his early work said it was bad. Comparing to Discovery and Tub Bells 2 ? I can't see it. Discovery (even 30 years old) sounds far better. How did we get from the instrumental genius of a composer who created works like Ommadawn, Hergest, Amarok to this ? It's a universe apart from what he is doing today. Sadly, MO has massive fan worship status, some even copying his every move, hairstyle (just look on Youtube) etc which is harmless enough but it doesn't matter what he does a lot of "fans" will always rate it.

Divorce ? Did I miss something ?
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2013, 08:45

'Divorce ? Did I miss something ?'

Obviously yes Ian ... The news was released recently on Mike's FB group by Caroline. A quote in a newspaper stated they just grew apart.

I do find it amazing that anyone can form an opinion on the forthcoming album on such a short sample of one (apparently atypical at that ! ) track. The sample is not bad though obviously it may not be to everyone's taste. Quotes from the producer and two of the top session men involved state great things about there experience and the great tracks on the album. I am definitely looking forward to it almost as much as the TB prequel !! :)
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2013, 02:51

Quote (HuanCry @ Nov. 29 2013, 08:45)
I do find it amazing that anyone can form an opinion on the forthcoming album on such a short sample.

I think I am going to have trouble getting used to the singer but I'll give it a chance, like I always do, hoping each time that this will be the one that blows my hair back.  :D
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2013, 04:55

In the last 20 odd years, Mike has produced 3 classics, TB2, TB3 and Music of the Spheres, so i have hope that this will be a classic too.

I'll wait to pass judgment until I here a full song.

Does anyone know if there will be a single released from the album beforehand?
Profile PM 
Bradnorman Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2013, 13:31

Quote (ian @ Nov. 29 2013, 08:10)
Divorce ? Did I miss something ?

I'm probably going off topic here, but it was news to me as well! Which Facebook page did Caroline make the announcement on?

--------------
‘Is my team ploughing,  
 'That I was used to drive  
And hear the harness jingle  
 When I was man alive?'

Life is arbitrary
Profile PM 
79 replies since Oct. 11 2013, 10:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net