Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New album: Man On The Rocks - January 27, 2014< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 30 2013, 15:37

Quote (Chrissy @ Nov. 30 2013, 04:55)
In the last 20 odd years, Mike has produced 3 classics, TB2, TB3 and Music of the Spheres, so i have hope that this will be a classic too.

I'll wait to pass judgment until I here a full song.

Does anyone know if there will be a single released from the album beforehand?

Not to be grumpy old f*ck, but...
Of course there is a subjective aspect of what constitutes a "classic", the term is not entirely subjective.
Even among diehard fans your view of what MO albums are to be viewed as "classics" would propably be challenged. Some people hold Song of Distant Earth in very high regard (belive it or not).

I personally don't think any of the albums you mention are classic Oldfield albums. I think they're all sub-par except for perhaps Music of the Sphere which is OK at best.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2013, 19:31

Larstangmark you said "I personally don't think any of the albums you mention are classic Oldfield albums"

Yes I agree if we are talking real classics - they are TB, HR, Ommadawn, Incantations and Amarok and are way above everything things else he has done.

But it just really annoys me when people say that Mike has not done much of any worth in the last 20 years. In that time period he has made some great music and the 3 albums that I mentioned (TB2, TB3 & Music of the Spheres) are all outstanding in their own right.
Profile PM 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2013, 19:39

How anyone can say TB2 & TB3 are 'sub par' is beyond me. I am new to this forum and have learnt an awful lot from reading many informed posts.

But what astounds me, is that I have never come across a fan based music forum where people at times, are so dismissing and critical of the artists work.

Give Mike a break.... the guy's a genius

:)
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2013, 00:38

@Bradnorman
the Mike Oldfield Personals page...basically the only Oldfield page on facebook that actually has any activity

@Chrissy
Hmmm, nearly all music forums I have visited are similar to this one in terms of being simultaneously critical/praising of an artist's work. We as fans have a right to our own views and I simply refuse to blindly worship every note of music Oldfield puts out JUST because he's Oldfield and "a genius".
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2013, 16:35

Quote (Chrissy @ Nov. 30 2013, 19:39)
How anyone can say TB2 & TB3 are 'sub par' is beyond me. I am new to this forum and have learnt an awful lot from reading many informed posts.

But what astounds me, is that I have never come across a fan based music forum where people at times, are so dismissing and critical of the artists work.

Give Mike a break.... the guy's a genius

:)

This is nothing unique for Mike Oldfield fans. Just a couple of examples: a fair share of Black Sabbath fans accept only ozzy-era material and still hang out fan forums. How many Tangering Dream fans still love the stuff Edgar Froese puts out today? (or even the music TD put out after the mid 80s?) The list goes on. Any artist that has a lengthy career is likely to have their fans divided into those who think the artist has "jumped the shark" and those who think the artist is still up to it.

I think TB2 is a mess. Too much programming, too little excentricities. Everything is amplified, compressed and in your face. Techinically I suppose it's OK, but artistically I see it as a huge failure. It sounds like a demo for a workstation synth.
TB 3 is a bit better, but the synth production is sloppy IMO. And by this point Mike it seems to me Mike had started to put less effort into composition as song structures were simpler and more predictable.

BTW:

Welcome to the board! There's room for all of us here. Both the ones who think new Mike is crap and those who like his new stuff. :)

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2013, 13:35

Larstangmark.... I take your point about other bands, you mention Black sabbath, I have never looked at their forum  but know that there is a lot of debate about Ozzy and Dio... who was the best singer? I was simply trying to defend some of Mike's musical output post Amarok... maybe I should never have used the word, 'classics' in relation to the second half of his career. And thanks for the welcome to the forum.  :)

GusFogle. Of course everyone is entitled to their viewpoint, it would be a pretty boring forum if it was not! Even though I think Mike Oldfield is a genius, I certainly don't think every note he has written is perfect.

What do people think of the cover to Man on the Rocks? I like it as it's colourful and different. It is certainly eyecatching. As for the title, I'm less convinced about it as a great title.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2013, 13:45

Quote (Chrissy @ Dec. 02 2013, 13:35)
What do people think of the cover to Man on the Rocks? I like it as it's colourful and different. It is certainly eyecatching.

I wonder if it's inspired by the Hercules Cave near Tanger, Morroco? Do a google image search for "Hercules Cave" and compare for yourself.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Chrissy Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2013, 14:22

A striking resemblance in the photos between that cave and the cover of the new album. The outline of the rocks are very similar shape indeed.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2013, 15:04

I think we as listeners who have invested time (32 years and 6 concerts for me) and money with an artist definitely have the right to say if we think MO's music is below par when he has set a higher bar in the past. I used to love SOTDE and Tub 2 but just can't listen to them now. Why ? Because my tastes have changed with age. I love Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk's earliest works before they because more polished when in fact I used to dislike them in my teens.(For the record I feel that TD haven't made any decent music since Chris Franke left) Saw them in 1986 and it was a spiritual experience. Saw them again in 1990 and it was saxaphones, cheesy electric guitars and a band I no longer recognized. Same with Jarre's later albums.

I think Tom Newman is to be credited for the organic sound of MO albums and it's a shame he didn't produce this new one. I listened to Tom's 'The Secret life of Angels' album and it is far more exciting, interesting than anything MO has done for a while.
Profile PM WEB 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Dec. 06 2013, 15:36

Quote (larstangmark @ Dec. 01 2013, 21:35)
I think TB2 is a mess. It sounds like a demo for a workstation synth.

Brilliant! That is *exactly* how TB2 sounds (or at least my memory of listening to it 2 or 3 times when it first came out and never since...)

Otherwise..."Oldfield, genius or not" thread...I'll get my popcorn!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Dec. 10 2013, 16:50

Cast lines away
from the dock at the harbour bay

There's no cares
no worries
no woes

And the wind is blowing our way

Let's go
Saaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiliiiiiiillling!

Lyrics, people? Sounds good to me!
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2013, 05:57

Quote (Harmono @ Dec. 10 2013, 16:50)
Cast lines away
from the dock at the harbour bay

There's no cares
no worries
no woes

And the wind is blowing our way

Let's go
Saaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiliiiiiiillling!

Lyrics, people? Sounds good to me!

Sounds very cheesy to me. Cliche.
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2013, 08:14

Cheesy is good. I like it cheesy with screaming guitar.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Dec. 11 2013, 15:15

Quote (Harmono @ Dec. 11 2013, 08:14)
Cheesy is good. I like it cheesy with screaming guitar.

Better than screamy with cheesy guitar.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
falk Offline

Posted: Dec. 12 2013, 14:12

i think mr. Oldfield went wrong passing year 2000 (with tb 2003 as the one standing out). I actually liked  what oldfield had done leaving virgin records. In my Humble view the 70´s and the 90´s was the best times for mike, and i think he is taking a big chancee going on reecord aagain. I have still not heard any of the music, but for the recordd, i paid it ttoday and i am looking forward tot it. I am also looking forwaard tot the NeXT springsteen record, whwich i also paid today, and the goodold guyss MUST be ebeetter than a lot of the crap coming out these days. divorce or not. whatever kind of rock, i paaid the recordd, and i am still excited
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2013, 06:15

For me, the last amazingly off the wall, creative music he made was Amarok. No contest.
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2013, 17:23

Man On The Rocks to my ears still comes out as

http://youtu.be/UbvxP08FlMs

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
falk Offline

Posted: Dec. 20 2013, 05:36

just got THE oldfieldrecord of the 80´s, Five miles out Deluxe. Long time waiting, but i think it was worth it. To me TB2003 is a very good record, better than TB2 and TB3, but i think the last real good "original" piece of music put out is Voyager. Like that instrumental celtic music so much, and being a writer that record puts me in a good mood. The milenium bell is alright, but records like Tres Luna i dare say never should have been released. Anyway thats my opinion, but i hope this new one will blow me away. I don´t think it will, because that hasn´t happened for a long time with a new reecord, but hey, i just got fmo deluxe
Profile PM 
neil-h Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2013, 11:07

Looks like the Deluxe 2CD Edition of MOTR isn't released until March.

I've just spotted it on jpc.de http://www.jpc.de/jpcng....3947684

This is a bit annoying as I don't want to buy the album twice (the standard version in January so I can hear it and then the Deluxe one in March).
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2013, 03:35

Thats how the Biz Works    .. Make the Album then flog it in as many Forms and Re releases u can with Staggered dates   ..   :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
79 replies since Oct. 11 2013, 10:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net