Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New album: Man On The Rocks - January 27, 2014< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 10:40

Mike's new album is called Man On The Rocks and will be released on January 27, 2014 Update January 10th: the revised release date is March 3rd. You can preorder a colored double LP vinyl at Universal Music and the CD at Amazon.co.uk.

The album is produced by Stephen Lipson (Jeff Beck, Paul McCartney, Annie Lennox) and features bassist Leland Sklar (Phil Collins, Crosby, Stills & Nash, James Taylor), drummer John Robinson (Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton, Daft Punk) and vocalist Luke Spiller from the Struts.

Tracklisting:
Side One
Sailing
Moonshine

Side Two
Man On The Rocks
Castaway
Minutes

Side Three
Dreaming In The Wind
Nuclear
Chariots

Side Four
Following The Angels
Irene
I Give Myself Away

Read more on Mike's Facebook page.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 11:30

Very Excited!!!!  Christmas came early :)
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 11:36

Quote (christopher @ Oct. 11 2013, 08:30)
Very Excited!!!!  Christmas came early :)

You mean Christmas 2014 comes 11 months ahead of time?
Profile PM 
womega Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 12:11

Hi to everyone and greetings from Finland! I have already ordered 2 copies of colored double vinyl.  :)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 12:41

How long are these tracks !! I need to know asap ! :)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 13:49

I open up my Facebook and bump straight into that news. Almost fell off my chair. Want so much.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 14:30

I can't wait to see what lyrics he's come up with for Moonshine :laugh:  New tracks or old, I will learn all in January and am looking forward to it. :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 14:46

Sorry but I can't get excited about this. Now if Tom Newman was producing and it was instrumental...........
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 15:07

I too would like Tom Newman and an instrumental (maybe one day)

but

Oh Happy Days!!!!

I have just got back from a wonderful trip to London with a friend to see the Facing the Modern: The Portrait in Vienna 1900 exhibition at the National Gallery - it was fabulous...go if you are remotely interested...

then I read details about the new album....really cannot wait for this! ....and tonight there's a documentary about the most profound piece of music ever written!  

I really am as happy as can be! And have you seen the cover! It's brilliant :)

I don't like wishing time away, but 2014 needs to get here quickly!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 19:45

Looking forward to the album, but I'm not keeping my hopes up high. Mike hasn't released a really good album since TSODE 19 years ago.

However, the pre-order statement from Universal made me laugh out loud. Like I'll ever order anything from Universal again.

Two months ago, I wrote the following on the Amarok mailing list:

'I just don't believe it. You'd think a record company would be able to run an online record store. But now.

For the fifth year in a row Universal manages to fuck it all up, as per usual. This is the last time I do any shopping there.

After receiving the FMO and Crises LPs last week I started to wonder where the DVD-box and FMO CD was. So I emailed them today and asked. Here's the answer:

"After speaking to our delivery company, DPD, I have been advised that your shipment which included the 'Mike Oldfield / Crises CD & DVD Box Set 2013' and the 'Mike Oldfield / Five Miles Out Deluxe Edition CD 2013' has been sent minus its invoice and as a result, was returned to us.

Hogne, please allow me to take this opportunity to apologise profusely for the inconvenience this will cause.

Moving forward, I am happy to confirm that at the time of writing, the 'Mike Oldfield / Five Miles Out Deluxe Edition CD 2013' is available and you now have the option to proceed with a free replacement or a complete refund of this item. In addition, I have been assured by our warehouse that this issue will not be repeated.

The 'Mike Oldfield / Crises CD & DVD Box Set 2013' is now out of stock and the parcel that was sent to you has since been damaged in transit and is now unsellable and so a refund of £60.98 will be credited back to you as a matter of urgency within the next 1-2 working days."

I sent them an all over not too polite reply telling them to refund FMO as well, and that they shouldn't bother with any replacement as I from now on would take my business elsewhere. '

A couple of days after this email, Universal gave me a refund. However, over a month ago, this happened:

'Three weeks later and I'm still fighting with Universal, and DHL. Universal did reimburse the money for Five Miles Out and Crises boxes, but then a letter from DHL arrived asking me to pay toll and sales taxes for both the LPs AND the items I never received. Here's a copy of an email I sent Universal today after being the middle man between DHL and them for two weeks now:

I've now been emailing between Universal Music's support and DHL for over 2 weeks. I've calculated that I've spent in total an entire work day on communications with both parties. And I've had it.

Not only does Universal Music mess up my order and then tell me that they can't deliver my whole order because it's out of stock (a bit strange since I've since ordered this item elsewhere). Then I'm billed by DHL for taxes and VAT for items I've never received from you.

This is what has happened:

- The second package I received from you only included only the Five Miles Out LP
- The package was also supposed to contain the Five Miles Out CD box and the Crises DVD box
- For some reason these two items were not in the package
- It seems that these two items had been sent in a separate package by DPD (which Universal have confirmed in my previous correspondence with them)
- However, the freight letter with the original shipment claimed that the missing items were inside that box, and their value was stated in the freight letter
- Because of this, DHL paid the Norwegian toll authorities the VAT for that value
- DHL cannot be reimbursed from the authorities for this and therefore demand that I pay them by October 7th

DHL is not at fault here. They have to trust the freight papers that you send and have just simply done their job. They are not at liberty to open all packages to check that the sender has indeed packed what's stated in the freight documents

As I said above, I'm now sick and tired of this case, and Universal Music (check out my history with you and it's a history with mistakes in the years I've been shopping with you)

I therefore demand that YOU pay me the amount I have to pay DHL. The time you've spent communicating with me must surely has cost you more than this amount already.

This is your mistake, not mine and certainly not DHL's. But I'm the one sitting without the items I originally ordered, and being stuck with the bill. All the while being told by Universal that I should just refuse to pay DHL. This is appallingly bad customer service.

Please step up and fix this by Monday afternoon!

DHL sent the a copy of the freight document, where you can clearly see that it's stated that the original package included the items I never received. I've included them here in this email.

=========

I'm at loss for words on how much Universal sucks. This is... incredible.'

It's now been almost a month, and Universal still haven't resolved this. They can sod off!
Profile PM 
MasterGeek.MX Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2013, 22:40

Release on January 27th? Here in Mexico will need to wait until august. They take ver much time to import it. For example, Tubular Beats was released in February 1st, and I saw it in the store until June.

I just hope 2 things: See it here more near of the release date and at least onelong instrumental track.

--------------
Hailings from a Mexican Mike Oldfield's fan.

Y chingue su madre el que no le guste Campanas Tubulares!
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2013, 02:34

Quote (MasterGeek.MX @ Oct. 11 2013, 22:40)
Release on January 27th? Here in Mexico will need to wait until august. They take ver much time to import it. For example, Tubular Beats was released in February 1st, and I saw it in the store until June.

I just hope 2 things: See it here more near of the release date and at least onelong instrumental track.

Why wait for local distributor if you can buy it from amazon, ebay or other online stores on the release date?
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 12 2013, 04:52

Great news! Can't wait  :D

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2013, 07:19

Any new album of Mike's original music I get excited about :) I'm not worried if it's instrumental or not, the fact is it's different from the previous album, that being MOTS, and it's sounds like this is going to be different from that, so I welcome it. Mike has in the past always played some great guitar solo's in his songs, I'm thinking Heaven's Open, Magic Touch, Shine, Moonlight Shadow, Trick of the Light, to name a few.
Profile PM 
gths Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2013, 11:10

Quote (bee @ Oct. 11 2013, 15:07)
Then I read details about the new album....really cannot wait for this! ....and tonight there's a documentary about the most profound piece of music ever written!

There's a documentary about Amarok??? Cool! I know what you mean, but I'm kind of bored with the whole "Tubular Bells was important because it bankrolled Richard Branson" angle. Anil Prasad's recent interview was great because they actually discussed the other albums.

Anyway, since he'd pretty much retired from new music (at over 5 years it's been his longest gap between albums) and it took the Olympics to get him inspired again, let's take what we can get.

From the sounds of it he's put a fair bit of effort into it from being fresh and enthusiastic so it's not just going to be some lazy knock-off like Earthmoving.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 13 2013, 18:06

Quote (Elf @ Oct. 11 2013, 19:45)
Looking forward to the album, but I'm not keeping my hopes up high. Mike hasn't released a really good album since TSODE 19 years ago.

I'd go back further than that. :p I got excited for a minute, only two songs on side 1; is there a rock opus here? Nah, there won't be. I guess the double vinyl is just for the sake of audio quality.
Profile PM 
sagan2 Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2013, 08:12

Argh, who is going to wait until next year??? Is there a sneak preview perhaps?? :)
It looks really promising, Luke Spiller obviuously likes to sing in "70ies/80oes" fashion and has a really strong and positive energy and approach. Besides that, it seems to me that he sounds just like Mike always wanted to sound singing his own songs (if he knew how to sing, of course LOL)...Other muscians are crème de la crème, especially most important bass/drum section...Looking forward to it definitely...

--------------
www.soundcloud.com/sagan2-1
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2013, 06:53

I'm really looking forward to this one - it has been ages since it was first rumoured.

Totally disagree with the Elf.

It's been a nice time for new albums from my ageing group of favourite artists (which includes Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam and Paul McCartney).
Profile PM 
Gunz412 Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2013, 04:05

Interesting album title. What could it mean?
Mikes mental state, a reference to drugs perhaps. Or is Mike comparing himself to a fine bottle of single malt whiskey.
Or is he having another dig at Richard Branson.
Either way, the artwork is good.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2013, 05:34

Quote (Gunz412 @ Oct. 16 2013, 04:05)
Interesting album title. What could it mean?
Mikes mental state, a reference to drugs perhaps. Or is Mike comparing himself to a fine bottle of single malt whiskey.
Or is he having another dig at Richard Branson.
Either way, the artwork is good.

Ha! I was thinking today about the title meaning too :) I imagine "Man On The Rocks" as the Man (wchich is Mike :) ) staying on a fine, solid ground with his life recently, so he wanted to share his feelings and fun with the new album. Also the "Rocks" word could releate to the musical style, as the album will be a rock album.
Profile PM 
79 replies since Oct. 11 2013, 10:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net