Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: New album: Man On The Rocks - January 27, 2014< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
clac Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 16 2013, 09:33

After watching the BBC documentary, it's funny to see that Mike wanted "Tubular Bells" to be bigger than his name on the album. It's the opposite on Man on the rocks :)

And the title make me think of "Amarok". Read somewhere it could be interpreted as "i'm a rock".
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 17 2013, 10:23

Luke Spiller has just commented on a post in the Facebook group Mike Oldfield Personal: "thank you everyone just thought i'd let you know while recording this album I used my voice in ways I would have never imagined before.Thanks to Stephen and Mike of course. I really think this album is a truly special one. I hope you all love it as much as I do and that my performance meets your expectations as fans of this brilliant artist. x"

:cool:
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2013, 14:28

Hi guys, long time no post,
I'm a little bit disappointed with the title, don't much care about artwork which is bad too imho.
First of all - If the title has a deeper meaning with these hypothesis (stability in life, rock as a genre) it makes a big cliche of the whole thing. Things that are meant to be hidden are much more interesting when not supposed to be resolved that fast. I had thought about this title before It was louched. Too bad let's say - no surprise and as I said - too easy and stays much too close to Mike's previous Man in the Rain or him standing on the shore (Incantations) or him standing and looking at the tower (Crises). Boooring a little bit. I wish he picked up a totally different title (imo nothing fits as a title track on this particular).
Cover - garish colour, HDR technique or photoshopped cave. Lazurous sea.... because he loves the climate of in the Bahamas? -__- please...   Could be something rough, minimalistic or any kind of artistic attempt from the creator of this... They gave us a postcard from the Bahamas! yuk!

And what's the most importana - how the music will sound like?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCifACrJX6Y - as for now we have this. To my ears - nice tune. But 11 poprock songs... I though it will be a rock from 80s, 70s... This snippet sounds a bit trivial although there is Mike's style. I hope we will get more garage sounds, he owns a Telecaster - would be great to hear vintage tones, hi gain trashy sounds he used to play with in TB.

Haha, sory for my moan & groan
I'm excited too lol, I can not stop thinking about it.
I'm happy to hear that J. Robinson does the drum section - lovely thing to have them real, not sampled. And the guy knows probably a lot of how to make it sound interesting. Eg. compare drums on Crises with drums on Earth Moving
Too bad Mike didn't record any instrumental here.. could be even 10 mins of prog rock, in order to make us feeling better. ;)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2013, 16:18

Well, I'm optimistic, as every time. :) Hard to say anything for sure from that little info (I haven't listened to the youtube bit, don't like listening to snippets in advance, I prefer to have the whole, fresh new experience). In any case, it's good to see he's collaborating with competent - more than competent, actually - people.

Cover is fine by me, quite typically Mike-ish actually. Album title, well, can't really say much about that. It's simple but OK. Some of the song titles seem a bit cheesy, but that's not a big deal either.

Why, BTW, should he be doing 70s or 80s stuff? Just because he's old? ;) He's living in the 10s just as much as are all of us at the moment. Fine by me if it sounds like the 10s. Heh, actually that sounds a bit weird, the 10s. Don't think I've heard or read that anywhere, come to think of it. But hey, next come the roaring 20s! :D

Looking forward to it and I'm sure I'll like at least some of it, as always.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2013, 16:40

Quote (Holger @ Oct. 23 2013, 16:18)
Fine by me if it sounds like the 10s. Heh, actually that sounds a bit weird, the 10s. Don't think I've heard or read that anywhere, come to think of it.

Looking forward to it and I'm sure I'll like at least some of it, as always.

I used to like that we were living in the 'noughties' (2000-2009)
;)

I just can't wait...but I will...when January appears and everything seems a bit flat and dull after Christmas it'll be great to look forward to something with some real energy (by the sounds of things!! ) A new chapter maybe?

I love that first play of a new album...nothing like it...the anticipation is sweet

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2013, 17:14

Quote (bee @ Oct. 23 2013, 22:40)
I used to like that we were living in the 'noughties' (2000-2009)
;)

He's not the messiah, he's a very noughty boy. :)
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2013, 17:34

I'd rather him recorded an album with vintage sounds because this makes you to play in different style, in this case - not Earth Moving II which I'm affraid of so much.    :/
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2013, 18:13

I really don't see any reason to be worried he'll try to recreate an album from 24 years ago that was very much a product of its time and not even particularly successful... honestly my guess is that Earth Moving is the last thing on his mind right now.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2013, 22:38

i just hope there wont be any bells at all :O

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2013, 09:44

Quote (lukaszswietek @ Oct. 23 2013, 23:34)
I'd rather him recorded an album with vintage sounds because this makes you to play in different style, in this case - not Earth Moving II which I'm affraid of so much.    :/

He has said that there's this one song that is quite different:

"So, I wrote a song about sailing. It’s not like Rod Stewart’s “Sailing.” It’s more of a tongue-in-cheek, shake off the shackles of the modern world and get out on the ocean song. It’s quite funny. It’s a bit Pirates of the Caribbean. I can see Johnny Depp on the front of the boat singing it on the pirate ship. It’s a happy song. But the rest of the album is quite miserable, yet very powerful."

It seems pretty clear to me that the YouTube clip is "Sailing".

Another clue is this:

"Its working title, 'Rock' emphasises the album's directness, heard especially on the guitar-driven 'Irene', inspired by the category 3 hurricane that hit the Bahamas in 2011. However, it is – as you would expect from the man who gave the world Tubular Bells and so much more besides – an album of great variance and contrast; from the commercial punch of opening track, ‘Sailing’, to the beautiful folk-influenced ‘Dreaming In The Wind’ to the emotional gravitas of its closer, a cover of William McDowell’s gospel song, ‘I Give Myself Away’."

So, I guess it begins with the commercial punch, and then the rest is something else.

By the way, I don't think that short clip sounds anything like Earth Moving.   :)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2013, 11:59

Harmono  ... I couldn't have put it better myself. Also Mike is bringing back his screaming guitar sound from the 'end of Ommadawn part one' :)... Even though its song-based (I prefer his instrumentals more so) I'm so looking forward to this album.

And Luke Spiller's voice is fantastic !  .. very Freddie Mercury sounding !
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2013, 07:10

Another thought. Are there only 4 people on the album? Mike, Luke, Leland and John!! Is this really going to be just a guitar, bass, drums and vocals album? that would be unusual for Mike.

Also, what are the chances of some singles from the album? maybe even new videos?
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2013, 07:43

Quote (qjamesfloyd @ Oct. 25 2013, 13:10)
Another thought. Are there only 4 people on the album? Mike, Luke, Leland and John!! Is this really going to be just a guitar, bass, drums and vocals album? that would be unusual for Mike.

As this blog entry reveals, it will also feature Matt Rollings on keyboards, Michael Thompson on guitar and a gospel choir.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2013, 09:01

Thanks for that link EaToN. That's great about Matt Rollings on keyboard, he has played a lot live and in studio for Mark Knopfler. And another Oldfield & Knopfler link is, Mark has Ian Thomas playing drums on his current tour, Ian played drums at the Tubular Bells 2 live at Edinburgh show.
Profile PM 
TubularUSA Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2013, 07:28

Does anyone know why on Amazon UK site the description for the so called new album is listed as "Man On The Rocks [Single]"  I'm afraid to pre-order if this is just a single.  They don't have the complete track listing featured on this site.  Can anyone clarify this.  ASIN: B00FR0WL46
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Oct. 30 2013, 08:15

I've asked them to drop the 'SINGLE' or clarify ... I'm almost certain it's there to indicate the single disc version and not the deluxe two (or more maybe ?) disc version planned for later.
Profile PM 
originalbob Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2013, 02:20

Lots of speculation but not a lot of hard information at this point.I think I'll reserve judgement until the album's actually released.
I was more intrigued to hear that the announcement came from Virgin EMI- has MO resolved his rift with them at last?
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2013, 05:37

Virgin EMI are now part of Universal. I believe during the takeover of EMI there was talk of selling off Virgin to help secure the EMI takeover but this obviously didn't happen.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2013, 03:36

After hearing a good snatch of "Sailing" on radio 6 Freak Zone I am still not won over. To me it sounds like a Max Bacon track done in the late 80's. I might be proved wrong with the rest of the album but so far not. Mike did say it's not a happy album but very dark. Something you would put on late at night to drown your sorrows. It didn't sound dark to me.
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2013, 04:02

That track shouldn't Ian. The rest are 'quite miserable yet very powerful' to quote Mike from the Innerviews  interview done recently.
Profile PM 
79 replies since Oct. 11 2013, 10:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net