Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Myst - the Game< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Victor Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 03 2000, 04:45

I heard that Mike was doing music and/or sounds for the computer game Myst.Is this true and if someone knows something about that I would like to know more.
Profile PM WEB 
msrmohr Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2000, 12:11

Victor,
Unless you've heard about a new project, all the music for Myst was done by one of the Miller brothers (Rand or Robyn, I forget) as far as I can remember. Hmmm, maybe they sampled some Mikes sounds.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 19 2000, 13:59

I don't think that there are Mike samples in Myst. I think that he was "heavily inspired" by Myst for the SODE CDROM section (the puzzle aspect and point + click interface).

There was a picture of Mike's studio in Sound On Sound magazine which clearly showed a copy of Myst sitting on top of a load of music software (probably "Logic").

Anyway, that's the only Mike/ Myst link which I can find.
Profile PM 
Sebastian Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2000, 18:03

Mat is right. The only MYST-MO connection is that Mike was given a copy of Myst by a friend (MYST was released in 1993, TSODE in 1994). He played and like it and got interested in 3D modelling. The first result of his 3D work was the TSODE material.
The next result will be his Sonic Reality project, I suppose...
To Myst: Robyn Miller was doing the soundtrack for both Myst and its sucessor Riven. The soundtracks are available on CD from Virgin, they are excellent! If you haven't played Myst and Riven yet, I highly recommend to do it wink, well if you like that kind of "game".
I also recommend to keep an eye on Cyan http://www.cyan.com/ . It is now official that they are working on another ground-breaking game, no successor to Myst, but situated in the same universe (that of the "D'ni"); codename: MUDPIE. It'll be in first person realtime 3D and perhaps support massively multiplayer via broadband internet access. However, that are just rumours. Another rumour says that they're working on a realtime 3D version of MYST besides MUDPIE.

Robyn Miller has left Cyan some time ago, so he probably won't do the music for MUDPIE. It would be cool if Mike would compose it, but apparently it is done by Tim Larkin from Cyan.

If you haven't noticed yet, I'm a "hardcore" M/R/D (Myst/Riven/D'ni) fan (I even learn the fictional D'ni language wink and created a D'ni font, check out http://members.friendfactory.com/jehon/ )

Of course, I'm a hardcore MO fan, too. smile

Shorah!
Sebastian
who is known as Jehon in the M/R/D community.
Profile PM 
3 replies since Mar. 03 2000, 04:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net