Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Myspace Topics, Keepting it all straight< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 09:45

In responding to another topic this morning, and typing and re-typing, I realised that I should really be posting my response to "about these  forums." So, here goes.....

It concerns myspace and where to post the music links.

Current thinking: If there is original (or cover) music on a tub.net member's myspace page and s/he wants to let folks know and possibly discuss, posting a link in the Fan Tracks section of the Board is fine (just choose the best forum).

If you do a search, myspace music pops up in the Fan Tracks area as much as any place.  What does it matter, really, if it is music posted to the myspace site or somewhere else? It's music created by someone here. :)  If a member has created youtube videos of him/herself playing his/her MO-inspired or cover music, Fan Tracks would still be the right area to post the link.

On the other hand, if a tub.net member posts a link to his/her myspace page but the focus isn't his/her music (particularly in the case of us non-musicians), then the Meet and Greet myspace topic is the right home for it. Placement of posts should be content and purpose driven.  For example, a musician might post a link in the Meet and Greet myspace discussion topic while participating in the flow of conversation about general matters. On the other hand, s/he may want to post in Fan Tracks when the focus is specifically on his/her own music (and when feedback is wanted).

At the moment, the current M&G topic contains links to music. I think (and am nearly afraid to look) that there are even several myspace topics that could be merged. What's done is done (and maybe some of it can be undone, but...hmmm). But...in that myspace and its future incarnations will probably be around for a long time, this is a good time to figure out what we're doing, eh?

Clear as mud? :D Thoughts? :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 11:28

Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 07 2007, 14:45)
this is a good time to figure out what we're doing, eh?

I realise this will make me seem utterly stupid, but I haven't been able to figure out what Myspace does yet, let alone figure out what we might do about it!  :O

signed,
'Baffled', of Britain.
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 13:31

Myspace is a site where each person signs up for their own "profile page". You can add friends to your friends list of other people who have myspace. You can list things about yourself, write a blog, upload pictures and videos, say who you'd like to meet, your goals, etc etc.

I have a Myspace music site which is specifically for bands. It's kind of like the old MP3.com. We can upload our own songs for people to hear while browsing our Myspace profiles, list our musical inspiration, who we sound like, when our next gig is and where etc.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 17:14

I agree it's worth asking these questions to work out the way forward. :)

I think it is fine for people to say "please listen to my new track called - - - it's on my MySpace profile here - - -".

But this is only going to work if people make an effort to tell us which track to listen to.  I don't know if anyone else has noticed but all of the musician forums are very, very quiet at the moment, even the longer term members of this board are hardly getting any feedback here.  Posting a link to a MySpace profile where there might be up to 4 tracks to listen to doesn't really help the situation, as it takes even longer to listen and comment - and everybody wants comments!

I personally don't care where the music is stored but there are two problems that are most common with MySpace links:

1.  Tracks get removed.  You can only put 4 tracks in your profile and some of the topics here have had a very limited lifespan as a result.  We do have the Download Centre - www.lyricless.com - and we can host tracks for people to avoid this.  But at the moment that depends on DCDayDreamer having time to download the tracks, upload them to his FTP server, and link them from lyricless.com.  The option is there, though.
2.  Posting a new topic for every track we write is one thing, but it doesn't seem right for people post their MySpace link several times, simply asking people to go there without telling us which tracks are worth listening to.  Even if they keep changing the tracks, merely posting the link again and again with no info about the tracks makes it look like spam.

To me if a new person joins this board and they wish to share their MySpace link, I think it should be in Meet and Greet - even if they're a musician.  Right now it is possible for someone to join and post their MySpace link in Fan Tracks as their 1st post, then people listen and maybe give feedback, and the person doesn't bother to listen to anyone else's music.  OK, it'd be hard to force people to listen to a few tracks by other people, but I think the regulars are more likely to do this than someone who just surfed in.

Perhaps the best way to explain it is to think about a new member whose 1st post contains a link.  Regardless of whether they are a musician or not, doesn't that come across as spam?

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Moz Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 18:55

One further idea that might be of use to people.

I could create a page on lyricless.com that lists all musician links, MySpace or otherwise, so they are in a list ordered alphabetically by artist.  That would make it easier to find people's links if they haven't posted here for a while.  Of course, people would still post here if they wanted to tell us about new music.

What do you think?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 19:02

Quote (Alan D @ Mar. 07 2007, 16:28)
Quote (Inkanta @ Mar. 07 2007, 14:45)
this is a good time to figure out what we're doing, eh?

I realise this will make me seem utterly stupid, but I haven't been able to figure out what Myspace does yet, let alone figure out what we might do about it!  :O

signed,
'Baffled', of Britain.

I guess it took me a little while to figure out Myspace, and there's still things I've yet to work out.  it was Tansy/Sandra from here who got me into Myspace, many of us Tubular.Board folks have a profile page there.  Through Myspace I've found some great new music I would never have discovered. I've also made new friends there, both near and far, some of whom I've built up real life friendships with :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Marky Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2007, 15:57

I have no idea where to post my new space, which contains some of my published writing on Mike Oldfield, and some of my other published writing. It also asks politely if anybody would care to sponsor the swim for Marie Curie Cancer Care that I am doing in just under 2 weeks, at "Swimathon."

I'd be so grateful if anybody here dropped by and took a peek!

Any fellow writers or photographers could add me af a friend and ask me to recriprocate.

Best wishes, Mark
Writer's Block
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Posted: April 07 2007, 07:13

Hmm... No other replies in a month? :/

It's a shame really... because I think lyricless.com could do a good job of solving the problems with MySpace - in particular, tracks disappearing once you want to have more than four (because you can't).  I guess people would rather post a link and be done with it than worry about if it's the best way to do it or a good way to get feedback.  Might explain why so few fan tracks get comments these days...  :/

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
7 replies since Mar. 07 2007, 09:45 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net