Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: my thoughts, one of the few who LIKE this album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
arron11196 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 27 2005, 07:05

The completely ridiculous thing about all this is that I did indeed make that exact same sandwich as an experiment.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 09 2007, 03:27

Quote (Marky @ Oct. 24 2005, 13:58)
I'm very impressed with TB03 - I love the clarity and zing (technical that, don't ask) and his minor revisions help I think. I have 4 classes of album for MO, top layer being "brilliant" and I put this in that bracket, with Amarok, Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge. Bottom level is called "not as good" and (start the car...) that's where I put the original. I know, I know...

I feel the same, Marky. I am curious as to what your middle categories are. If I were to create a four-tier class system, I might designate the top as "Heavenly". The second tier would be "Brilliant/Fantastic". Third = "Modified Rapture". Being bottom, "Not as good" is very apt for the fourth stratum.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 05:38

The imperfections of the original must have bugged Mike for years, hence wanting to re-record it.

If I choose between the two, I would go for the original, but I do like TB 2003.

Some of it sounds better than the original, some parts not quite as good. TB03 sounds better overall because of modern production methods - the tracks have been given more 'breathing space' and some of the raw, harshness is gone. But along with that, some of the warmth of the original is also missing.

Sometimes I forget which version I'm listening to as they're so close in terms of accuracy and quality.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
smillsoid Offline

Posted: April 14 2009, 14:38

To me, the original sounds like a demo for the new one.  I'm sure that's how Mike sees it.

--------------
http://www.reverbnation.com/simonjmills
Profile PM WEB 
Jesse Offline

Posted: June 03 2009, 05:56

TB73 inspired me to write my first 16 minute long piece when I was 19. It is a bit embarrasingly naive, but that is the charm. I just loved how the artist could sometimes do stuff so offkey, seemingly random but also spooky, and sometimes very heartwarming.

TB2003 will never have the same charm, but I do like to listen to it as it brings out the composition very beautifully. Most of the times I prefer the newer version, but both have their place in my heart.
Profile PM 
bootleg Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2011, 08:58

:cool:
Profile PM 
Chris Ibberson Offline

Posted: Oct. 25 2011, 10:27

Well I have played nothing else for the past fortnight, and I think it was long overdue. I love its clarity and more detailed mandolin and female voice, which ALWAYS has my immediate attention. 9/10 as the caveman section is pretty poor, but otherwise it climbs into my top three at this moment in time behind Omma and Inc.

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
compound eye Offline

Posted: Nov. 19 2011, 15:29

Quote (Chris Ibberson @ Oct. 25 2011, 10:27)
Well I have played nothing else for the past fortnight, and I think it was long overdue. I love its clarity and more detailed mandolin and female voice, which ALWAYS has my immediate attention. 9/10 as the caveman section is pretty poor, but otherwise it climbs into my top three at this moment in time behind Omma and Inc.

I've been playing this almost non-stop for the last few weeks too!

I skimmed it a good while back and thought 'nah' when things like the John Cleese finale kicked in, or the Caveman [Piltdown Man] sequence...

BUT, even as asomeone who grew up with the original '73 album on practically every Sunday and know it inside out, I now love this version very much indeed.

It's Mike's music and he's at liberty to do what he wants of course, with remixed recorded 'directors cuts' as is the vogue with old fillums now... and bar a couple of small niggles I think he did an amazing job reinventing TB with this album.

Niggles -

i/ Individual tracks [argh!!!], why? Who asked for that? Apparently it was 'popular demand' - where can I slap these people in the face??? It doesnt flow at all well as an MP3 album at all.
ii/ The guitars at the start of 'Thrash' are just a trifle too contrived and 'clever' - the original was just straight 'jang-jacka-jang...' with no contra-melody in the base end.
iii/ The 'female' vocal in the Caveman/Piltdown segment is just not necessary. The original made me imagine a caveman suddenly finding himself in a studio and not knowing what the hell was going on "Ugh..?!" and I liked that a lot. Mike's male vocal track for TB2003 is superb, but the re-pitched 'female' one is superfluous and sounds too jokey. I much prefer the solo 'disoriented wino/caveman growl of the original album.

HIGH POINTS -

i/Introduction... the 'classic' TB 'theme' sounds utterly faithful and superb beyond reproach.
ii/Latin Guitars - despite loving the original more 'plinky' guitar and organ section, this more mellow latin version is gorgeous and doesn't last nearly long enough!!! : )
iii/ Finale -Despite initial reservations, since I cannot stand Cleese as an actor/comedian, I have to admit he is an inspired choice. The bit that gets me everytime is 'mandolin?' [pause] 'mandolin!' like some crazy parrot double-checking his lines... it's a nice touch.
iv/ Harmonics - again faithful and perfect.
v/ Ambient guitars - I've always had Mike pegged as one of the finest guitar players of any genre fullstop, but this is just exctasy for the ears... he makes guitars fly, flutter, dance, echo, sing - takes my breathe away, esp after the muddiness of the original seqgment.

I was always slightly sceptical of TB, because it is just too easy to 'quote', liking Ommadawn [part i] a lot better, BUT these re-records & remasters have really done the classic MO 'quartet' - TB, HR, Om, Inc - a world of good - music that is knocking on for 40yrs old now and still kicks pretty much every other instrumental project into touch.
Profile PM 
ForeignAffair Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2012, 15:35

THIS * VERSION * ROCKS !!!!!!  :) How can anyone not like such a lovely piece of music? my God, this is a wonderful, wonderful record !

Is it better than the original? To me it is...it is Mike's complete vision what TB would and could have been...it's not a "quick & dirty rerecording" - I bet a lot of work has gone into it...and if Mike hadn't been sure this would top or least equal the old one, he wouldn't have done it. Sadly this gets underrated, ignored and shunned permanently...just read the Amazon reviews, but this shouldnt concern a true MO Afficionado.

Cleese blends in nicely...though one has the impression he has read the instruments in one take or maybe more than one version of every "instrument" and Mike Oldfield just cut it up and selected what he found sounds great! I loved how he says "Grrrrrrand Piano" :D But I didn't notice the double "Mandolin" I read here! I hope I didn't buy a faulty pressing?? How can I tell?

I prefer even the Caveman & Cavewoman to the original this is a much more balanced approach as he obviously found his female angry side ;)

Say what you will...I prefer it to the Original Tubular Bells, because it's jolly, less dark and has more positive emotions ... I am satisfied  :)

Very :)

And now I got to listen to it again and again and again...

edit: NOW I even got to hear  "Mandolin 2" by the Great John Cleese...even his voice is magnificent...but it is just a faint echo you're talking about, isnt it?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2012, 19:35

Quote (ForeignAffair @ Jan. 27 2012, 21:35)
edit: NOW I even got to hear  "Mandolin 2" by the Great John Cleese...even his voice is magnificent...but it is just a faint echo you're talking about, isnt it?

It's not an echo, or at least it wasn't meant as an echo. It was meant as Cleese actually saying "mandolin" twice. :cool: Yes, Cleese's introductions are funny and just enough over-the-top for me not to regret Viv Stanshall. :) My only remark about that, which I've made elsewhere in these forums, is that I always felt that the introductions are meant to be ironical, not overtly comical. Cleese, although great, gives me the impression that the whole thing just a laughing matter, when there's of course more to it than just laughter.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
ForeignAffair Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2012, 16:51

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 28 2012, 19:35)
Quote (ForeignAffair @ Jan. 27 2012, 21:35)

It's not an echo, or at least it wasn't meant as an echo. It was meant as Cleese actually saying "mandolin" twice. :cool: Yes, Cleese's introductions are funny and just enough over-the-top for me not to regret Viv Stanshall. :) My only remark about that, which I've made elsewhere in these forums, is that I always felt that the introductions are meant to be ironical, not overtly comical. Cleese, although great, gives me the impression that the whole thing just a laughing matter, when there's of course more to it than just laughter.

I'm sorry to contradict you, Sir but I miss to find anything remotely funny in Mr. Cleese's announcements. Apart from the GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAND PIANO and I think a bit this was Mike's request or maybe not at all.

Praps folks think them so funny as John Cleese is meant to be funny as he is known as a Very Funny Person which I assure you he's not. He may have been in Monty Python but I read he still has troubles of his own dark nature, but maybe his yoga and energywork will cheer him up, I dont know, really.

His announcements - to me heard for the 1st time - just seem grand and sincere apart form "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrand petc" ok. He sounds clear and great and I like his voice a lot.

I grew up with TB I and Viv Stanshall's master of ceremonies and have to say this is a definite improvement, Cleese adds a little more....texture or whatever it is :)

But I fail to see how MO couldnt have EXTRACTED his voice as John Lennon's last record only consisted of vocals form some tapes he made for Yoko and his family and they succesfully extracted his vocals and used them for a fantastic - in my ears - record.

Also, there's software for extracting voice from songs for karaoke performances and I am almost sure these is software the other way round which leads me to the thought that Mika may have not been wholly satisfied with Vivs performance however great it was. ESPECIALLY on the 'boxed' set in its expanded glory :D

But I disgress. sorry Ugo I like your posts a lot and do NOT like to contradict you even in a friendly manner like this one, but there is that and because I'm getting old and all and not being used to that. In the 80s I was young. Like we all. At least except some young people here............

Now I gotta train my Silly Walk as it's still lacking  :p

But I have ONE thing to add:
Mike Oldfield beats them all. Yes he do. I listen to his music again and again and again and dont become bored, and I have a broad musical interest which ranged from Classical to Pop Reggae Metal and so on. He is the greatest!

Ugo, I have to ask a second question as I'm obviously zonked on alcohol ...HOW did you find (as I couldnt find your post on that) the caveman-cavewoman-scenario????????? to me, this is Mike's female aggressive side coming up but I may be wrong as so often hehehehee Well, what do you think? I'm really interested in your opinion!
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 05:04

TB2003 is an interesting alternative to the original - I can totally see Mike's point in wanting to re-record it, free of flaws and imperfections, with total accuracy. I don't think he realised at the time that is is these things which actually add to the appeal of the '73 original.

I was looking thought Changeling again recently and re-read his thoughts on this, where he admits that it's still the original that works best.

Tb03 isn't without it's moments though.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2012, 08:16

I started with Tubular Bells 2003 without even listening once the 73 version. Of course I was in love with 2003 but 3 years ago I decided to check the original one. At first it was a big disappoint because I didn't like the quality and off bits but since I get used to it I realised that 2003 sucks a bit especially on Final, Introduction (this is the worst thing about 2003) Fast Guitars and Caveman. In fact the only tracks I love from 2003 is Blues which sounds a lot better, Bagpipe Guitars and Basses - they are just stronger but the rest can't compete with 73. I'm furious when I hear that synth bass on Introduction and sound of a electric guitarts on Fast Guitars (they sounds too much modern). And drums on Caveman sound awful. That's my opion.
So I'm a example for that one who started with 2003 but finally changed to 1973 :)
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2012, 16:51

The opposite for me. 2003 is what this record was always meant to be, to me. 1973 is... uhm... a bit of a mess... I love the 2003 version, love the clarity, love Cleese and don't mind the Caveman bit.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2012, 06:07

Quote (Navaira @ Sep. 22 2012, 21:51)
The opposite for me. 2003 is what this record was always meant to be, to me. 1973 is... uhm... a bit of a mess... I love the 2003 version, love the clarity, love Cleese and don't mind the Caveman bit.

TB 2003 is cohesive (especially Part II),the original TB lacks that to me.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 23 2012, 11:37

I like Peace in TB2003 but miss hearing Mike's breathing through it. Overall, my feeling is that doing TB2003 was not a criminal idea but not executed that well, could have been better. So in a way I wouldn't mind he redoes it again!!! Right now when I listen to 2003 I think of 1973 sounding more direct here and there and when I listen to 1973 I think of 2003 sounding better here and there, not good... Classical artists manage to make you forget about the other guys' recordings when you listen to their, so you are immersed. I think Mike's recordings are both far from perfection, which works well and is charming when you have one, but turns into a frustrating experience when you have two.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 23 2012, 11:47

Mike is often described as some sort of "perfectionist", which he is not and which he never has been. He works spontaneously and loses interest quickly.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Chris Ibberson Offline

Posted: July 26 2014, 15:51

Quote (Chris Ibberson @ Oct. 25 2011, 10:27)
Well I have played nothing else for the past fortnight, and I think it was long overdue. I love its clarity and more detailed mandolin and female voice, which ALWAYS has my immediate attention. 9/10 as the caveman section is pretty poor, but otherwise it climbs into my top three at this moment in time behind Omma and Inc  

Bringing my love of this album up to date, I rate it as second only to Incantations and I did not see THAT coming. I upgrade the marking to 9.5/10.

Bringing my love and affection for this album, I rate Incantations and TB 2003 as my favourite LPs.

I upgrade Tubular Bells 2003 to 9.75/10

--------------
Diana Luna Lucina
Profile PM 
Dr Bogenbroom Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2015, 03:01

For me this is definitely the superior version. One of the reasons is the pronounced bass guitar, especially at the beginning, which I think enhances the whole piece, but also every single instrument is so crisp and clear.
I do enjoy the original mix, it is more raucous in places and will get played quite a lot in my house, but 2003 will remain the outstanding one in my ears.

All a matter of opinion of course.

--------------
Dancing the Entropy Tango
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2017, 17:42

To my shame, I had never listened to Tubular Bells 2003, believing it to be simply a better recording of the original. Of course, it's not that at all but almost a whole new work (though not quite TB 4). It has an exhilarating freshness about it, captured perfectly in the newly-imagined sea as a surfing beach (mirroring perfectly the great rolls of sound towards the end). It's full of pleasing detail, even to the tiny figures of the two birds and lighthouse in the bottom left corner.
Profile PM 
119 replies since Aug. 06 2003, 15:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net