Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: My cover of Platinum removed by Mike< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Xavi Martinez Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 20 2016, 03:56

Just a word of warning..... I received a copyright infringement notice in Youtube because of my cover of Platinum. Mike removed it.

Honestly I feel disappointed because the only reason i posted that cover was out of admiration towards him, and never intended to take any profit.

I am posting here in case any of you have any cover posted in Youtube................... I have also removed my Crises and Guilty covers.

Feeling a bit like s**t honestly :(

WARNING: RANT AHEAD.

I still can't get over this after 2 days.

So I spent like a month on Platinum out or respect and admiration towards my hero, I post the results on Youtube and after 3 years, it gets removed by my hero himself. Now let's keep a few thinks under consideration:

- I do not monetize my videos

- First thing in the video description is a statement that the only reason why I did it is a a tribute towards my hero. Last thing in the description is an Amazon link to purchase the Deluxe Edition of Platinum (the original, of course)

- I posted the video when I made it literally everywhere, and I even sent a message to Mike's personal facebook page. So one way or anotherm he's been aware of its existance since the beginning. he made no comment (which I completely understand).

- 3 years after, and right when the video is about to reach 100000 hits, it gets deleted by him. Again......
[/URL]

Yes a cover is a copyright infringement. I understand this so I can't really complain.

But really......... if I am not making a pence out of it (and no intention of it), and I state that it is a tribute -because that's what it is really-. And Most specially...when there's hundreds of other tributes in Youtube, WHY MINE ???? Is it so offensive to post a cover out of admiration ??? Really ?????????

I understand covers are something people are very passionate about it. Some like them, some hate them.......

I have been a fan of Mike since I can remember, and Platinum is possibly my favorite record of all time.............but I am saddened beyond words.

I can't cope with this......specially abou te fact that he personally removed my cover (but most of the other ones I know from other people are still up there............)
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2016, 15:28

Mike deleted your YouTube video all by himself?
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Nov. 20 2016, 17:41

That"s what I would say.....look at the below screenshot

[/URL]
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2016, 14:15

Weird, as it is a cover and not just someone posting the original (there are plenty of those, why aren't they being pulled). Look on the bright side - maybe it's such a good cover Mike can't tell the difference.

So far, my Incantations cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIdMnGqY4Uo

is safe - I guess it's just not good enough  :/

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 2016, 11:09

So far, my Incantations cover is safe - I guess it's just not good enough

Not good enough for automatic content (mis)matching and Mike's too busy to go trough all the videos on YouTube.  ;)

Try posting it to the Facebook group if you want some attention...  :D

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
TubularRidgeDawn Offline

Posted: Dec. 24 2016, 08:19

Quote (Priabonia @ Nov. 21 2016, 14:15)
Weird, as it is a cover and not just someone posting the original (there are plenty of those, why aren't they being pulled). Look on the bright side - maybe it's such a good cover Mike can't tell the difference.

So far, my Incantations cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIdMnGqY4Uo

is safe - I guess it's just not good enough  :/

This is a fabulous cover of one of my favorite Mike Oldfield pieces. Your guitar work is awesome! Well done! Glad this one hasn't been pulled! :)

--------------
En yab na log a toc na awd
taw may on ommadawn egg kyowl
ommadawn egg kyowl
Profile PM 
AwayWeGo Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2017, 13:30

I would be cautious about complaining on Mike's Facebook group. He has thin skin about people criticizing how he handles his music. He's banned people for suggesting that he does things differently. He tends to be haughty and often thinks that people who disagree with him in any way are being negative. How do you know it was him, though, and not his label who removed your video? I swear, if Mike ever takes down one of my Youtube covers, I'll never buy another one of his records.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 17 2017, 19:13

It's difficult to say what's gone on here, but I'd imagine it's from somebody working on his behalf rather than Mike himself. That said, it does rather feel in the same vein as the management of the Facebook group...

It should be possible for the owner of the publishing rights to lay claim to the music and claim a royalty from the video (which is paid for from the advertising on it, not from harassing the video creator for money! ) without it having to be taken down. It seems to me like harnessing all the fan enthusiasm that's out there would be far better for the 'Oldfield brand' than the way things are currently being approached.

Either way, it's a real shame that your video was removed, Xavi.
Profile PM 
D Seph Offline

Posted: Oct. 23 2017, 19:13

Xavier...dude...

I came here precisely because I couldn't find your cover, and was wondering if maybe I'd find a repost here or something. Instead, I find this...

Is there anywhere we can listen to your cover? It really was something else...
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2017, 11:58

Quote (D Seph @ Oct. 23 2017, 19:13)
Xavier...dude...

I came here precisely because I couldn't find your cover, and was wondering if maybe I'd find a repost here or something. Instead, I find this...

Hey !!!..... I almost had this on my back (still itches though...... but such is life )

I will post links to the audio versions (which are much better quality anyway) within the next few days , here.

Thanks for asking !
Profile PM 
D Seph Offline

Posted: Dec. 23 2017, 22:15

Quote (Xavi Martinez @ Oct. 26 2017, 11:58)
Quote (D Seph @ Oct. 23 2017, 19:13)
Xavier...dude...

Hey !!!..... I almost had this on my back (still itches though...... but such is life )

I will post links to the audio versions (which are much better quality anyway) within the next few days , here.

Thanks for asking !

Been a few days now. Any luck?
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2018, 17:02

There you go !!! And they sound much better on Soundcloud ......

Crises

Platinum
Profile PM 
Antonuzzo Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2018, 06:47

These are magnificent! You've nailed the tones and your playing is spot-on.

I now wonder if they were taken down because they're as good as they are...

What are you using for the guitar sound on Platinum?
Profile PM 
Xavi Martinez Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2018, 10:34

I made a preset on Guitar Rig 4. Treble booster into Boogie combo emulation.

But really, the most difficult part is that quick, shaky vibrato he has.
Profile PM 
TerribleTheuns Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2018, 09:51

Good thing we can still listen to your version of Platinum on SoundCloud, Xavier! I've heard that Mike can be a bit assholey when it comes to copyright infringement. Is a cover version considered copyright infringement?

Can Mike remove a song from SoundCloud as well if one did a cover version? I hope Mike can't (or won't) take down my Musica Universalis cover from SoundCloud...
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2018, 20:51

One glance is assholey?? :(  :O  :laugh:
Profile PM 
15 replies since Nov. 20 2016, 03:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net