[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MVR update< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tr3s Lunas Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 12 2002, 15:38

Who cares about graphics?

OK, maybe the last Tomb Raider VIII... (it´s going the same path than tubular bells) has better graphics, but, can you feel the same experiences that the experiences apported by that little Music VR demo???

Is not only the music (the best music that I´ve heard on a "videogame") is all the "game" who make you feel that. I wait Tr3s Lunas more for the VR project than the music (that will be great if it´s like the mp3 samples heard in the old pages...)

Actually, many videogames lack originality, lack emotion, but you say "it have great graphics". So, if the Music VR has bad graphics but it can make you feel EMOTIONS, it seems to me THE BEST VIDEOGAME IN THE HISTORY.

)O(

Anyone agree?

)O(

Excuse me for my bad english. I hope that i have passed well this morning english exam... wink

--------------
http://starmen.net/petition
...do it for the kids!!!
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2002, 17:19

That dreamuloator you told us about, has as you claim wonderful graphics frown Just kidding. In fact IT doesn't work at all. And who cares about if the graphics is state of the art modern or not. Mikes MVR demo works and this does not, hmmm, wonder wich one I shall play?

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 12 2002, 19:59

I've never said the graphics are wonderful, I said they are shitty but better than the MVR graphics.

Here are some graphics which I find more artistic and stylish than MVR in a game that works.

http://main.bwgame.com/screenshots.shtml

What I really don't understand about the graphics in MVR is that the team, knowing its weaknesses, chose to modelize realistic elements, like animals and people.They look like, say, Picasso 3D animals. Well, maybe Mike is innovating by inventing 3D cubism wink It would have been more relaxing for me to have a nicely detailed sky (not too hard to make even with low budget) and just some abstract poetic shapes moving around.

I think that saying that the MVR pictures are beautiful and impressive is not fair.
Profile PM 
a2d Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2002, 13:11

I don't care how the graphics look. But people were gushing on and on in this thread at how "beautiful" the new images were, and I (and Olivier) was responding to that. Because they simply aren't beautiful by today's standards.

And if you really think this is innovative (making interactive worlds that can make you "feel") then you don't get out much. "Tomb Raider" does not define the limits of interactivity in music and visuals.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2002, 08:04

MVR IS innovative, not in the respect that it has created an imaginary world that makes you 'feel' - that's old hat! It is innovative in the way that each object 'triggers' different music that can be merged together to make unique sounds. Also the 'intuitive' part of MVR, where you can cause the desert to grow or bad outcomes to happen due to good or bad choices, is a newish concept in this format. Also, the 'non-toxic' element to MVR is going against the trend of 'knock-em dead' games.

So, agreed, the graphics are NOT UP TO SCRATCH when compared to most 3D games, but the concept IS ground breaking. Taken as a whole I find it a very breath-taking, beautiful and relaxing journey - atleast the not-so-up-to-scratch graphics leave something for the IMAGINATION still!!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2002, 16:57

i don't know is this the right place to ask but...i have a guestion to you people: wich one are you really waiting for, the game or the music? what is the reason why you buy the cd?

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2002, 18:46

The music. smile

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2002, 19:53

Some of these elements of Music VR mentioned are quite interesting to me...they remind me of something...

A little while ago, while the greater part of Music VR was still in the planning stages, Mike was looking for input from us out in net land, and a certain someone mentioned Peter Gabriel's multimedia creation EVE (standing for Evolutionary Virtual Environment, as well as being a reference to the Eve of biblical fame).
It may be coincidence, but EVE featured a very similar idea to that of fertilising the desert. As the player progressed, the environment went from oozing mudflats to idyllic woodland. But, there was also a chance for things to go wrong, and the landscape to become poisoned...
There were some brilliant musical toys in EVE as well - objects could be collected during the journey which, when be brought together in one of the buildings, would trigger off little bits of music (some things would give a background loop, others a little sample) which could be used to build up a complete composition, of sorts.
EVE had many more facets to it, which may well make it unique to this day, though I couldn't say for sure.

EVE was released in 1996, and still looks good to me today. It was based on 2D technologies, like Quicktime VR, which while not as advanced as realtime 3D, allowed the creation of a photo-realistic environment which still gave the player the ability to look around and interact with objects.

I think that it'll be interesting to look at Music VR in 5-10 years time and see how people feel it holds up. Saying that may be missing the point, though. I suspect that Music VR's goal is mainly to just bring Mike's ideas into some kind of tangible form, rather than creating a product which can be held up against other things on the market place - what matters to him is not that it's better or worse than X product, or whether it will still be a valid object X years down the road, but that it is his, that he's done it and that he's enjoyed the experience of creating it and gained something from it. It's as much a device to explore his own ideas as it is anything else (or perhaps more so). To know that others are gaining something from it would, of course, make it all the more worthwhile.
That's all speculation on my part, of course - I may have things completely wrong...I suppose only one person knows for sure...
Profile PM 
northpoint Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2002, 06:17

And do you know what Mike said when he was ask about EVE? That it was just a "child game". No comment.

http://www.geocities.com/tubercular_balls/
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2002, 16:48

He obviously didn't find it "rich and curious" then wink
Profile PM 
Osiris Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2002, 02:37

Wow, the map of MVR's first episode is quite large. I didn't thought there were so many places to explore. Relations between these places are also interesting, you have to do things in a certain order to go to next place, to get a ring and go back to origin. Even if MVR graphics are not so groundbreaking, there will be a large world to explore, and with music, this will be a powerful experience. smile
This map is very interesting, what do you think of it ?...
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2002, 12:50

yes i think too that the map looks very interesting...but still waiting that music. mike told on his website that the music will be rythmic...that got my interest. i've been waiting for that.

cool cool cool

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Melomaniac Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2002, 15:44

I am not interested in computer games, 3d graphics and stuff like this. I am only interested in music and, if it´s Mike´s, much better.However, I´m afraid this music could be something like a relaxing soundtrack (chill-out) for the game, with Mike more worried about the images than about the music. I don´t hope so, I hope to be mistaken.
Profile PM 
Vladimir Offline

Posted: April 18 2002, 02:33

Try to drag the star on the guitar head in Mike News section.

http://www.mikeoldfield.com/mike-interface.html
Profile PM WEB 
Belthazar Offline

Posted: April 18 2002, 07:15

ooh... pretty... and you can make even bigger stars by moving it faster smile

--------------
Belthazar
That's Bravo Echo Lima Tango Hotel Alpha Zulu Alpha Romeo

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana
-- Groucho Marx

Profile PM WEB 
54 replies since Mar. 04 2002, 14:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net