Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Musical software, where< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 21 2020, 18:53

I was wondering if someone knowledgeable here could tell me whether there exists software (preferably freeware) that can transcribe a simple melody - perhaps one that is whistled - into actual musical notation and/or some basic instrumental substitute. (I'm sure I read about such software a while ago.) The reason I ask is that a couple of little melodies came to me recently, and I thought it would be fun to see what I can do with them.

It's quite inspirational: thinking about Mike's procedure I tapped out my initials in Morse Code and suddenly a melody came along to fill the rhythm. It sounds like a military march!  :cool:
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2020, 18:18

I found an app called HumOn. I haven't actually tried it, but according to the description: "Just start humming and HumOn will turn your melody into score".
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2020, 20:58

Thanks for that... I'll check it out! Ideally I'd then want a further program that could turn that score into (say) piano notes.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2020, 03:01

Well, I've been playing around with HumOn, and it's a very clever little app. A melody came to me that I quite liked - a kind of light-hearted march. I selected a classical arrangement, drastically emphasized clarinet over strings, and the result was a sombre piece that I actually like a lot more than my original march. The question is: to what extent can I "take credit" for it??  :laugh: Oh well, I'll try a few variations on the tune, and perhaps record some others. Then who knows? Maybe "become" a musician, release a maxi-single, be unable to cope with "problems on the road" and develop a drug problem  :laugh:  :laugh:
Profile PM 
omgmo Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2020, 13:53

All this new technology is so dangerous!
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2020, 01:09

Well, HumOn produced some interesting results. I hummed the melody with the DK in Morse Code rhythm, and after highlighting clarinet a rather sombre piece emerged, which I quite like. It is here:

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-king-362662210/dk-ocean

As it wasn't true to my original intentions, though, I worked out the notes for my original melody and used NCH Crescendo to produce a piano version plus score. I would have preferred a brass band sound, but apart from the fact that Crescendo doesn't have a brass band option I can't think of how to proceed with the idea, short of writing more parts, and I have no experience with that. I suppose the melody below (transcribed for strings rather than piano) could be arranged for cornet with an elementary bass line on tubas - but it would still be a very rudimentary brass band! Does anyone have any constructive suggestions?

https://soundcloud.com/daniel-king-362662210/dk-military-march-1
Profile PM 
5 replies since Jan. 21 2020, 18:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net