Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Musical Express (1981), The original one on eMule< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Spinne Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 23 2004, 14:38

I have uploaded to eMule an audio copy of the full TV program called Musical Express broadcasted in 1981 in the spanish TV. The tracklist is as follow (I think you will find it very interesting :)):
1. Taurus 2/Taurus 1
2. Sheba
3. Mirage
4. Platinum (parts 1, 2 & 4)
5. Planxty Fanny Power - with Paddy Moloney
6. Ommadawn (part 2 excerpt) - with Paddy Moloney
7. Pastosi - with Diego Cortés
8. Ommadawn (part 1)

The sound quality is not bad, specially for a recording from 1981. The eMule link is:
ed2k://|file|Mike.Oldfield.-.Musical.Express.(TVE).zip|70406451|E2CA012536AFE222B8AB3B086D66C36F|/

Have a good download ;)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 23 2004, 16:26

I have rareties bootleg that has a general collection of Mike stuff on it including that Planxty Fanny power track with Paddy Moloney. If yours is the same recording I have then it's an interesting sounding piece but I've heard lots of contradictory stuff about it. Firstly that it is indeed a live duet between Make and Paddy, secondly that it's a duet between Mike and another group of folk musicians and thirdly that its neither Mike nor Paddy but someone entirely different. I'm sometimes inclined to belive the latter, sometimes I don't think that guitar playing sounds at all like Mike, but perhaps it is. I've certainly never read any information in any interviews or biographies regarding Mike having dueted with Paddy Moloney live on stage.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: July 23 2004, 18:30

Quote (TOBY @ July 23 2004, 22:26)
I've certainly never read any information in any interviews or biographies regarding Mike having dueted with Paddy Moloney live on stage.

The original video is a proof, isn't it? ;) It's available e.g. from Mike Oldfield's Vault video collection. I don't feel Mike's playing that unusual.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Spinne Offline

Posted: July 24 2004, 05:53

The Planxty Fanny Power that you can find in some bootlegs is the recording taken from Mike's participation on the Rock Meets Classic festival (Munich, 9/12/82) in which he played Orchestral Tubular Bells. As EeToN has said there's a video file of that duo showing Mike and Paddy with Morris Pert on percussion. Now that I have heard the version played in Musical Express I can see that the one in Munich has some more improvisations or maybe they mixed some extracts from other folk tunes.

At this TV program Mike and Paddy did two songs together, Planxty Fanny Power and an excerpt from Ommadawn (part 2). This is the first time I have heard Mike performing live anything from the second side of Ommadawn (and belive me, I have heard lots of live shows). With Paddy playing you can imagine which excerpt it's played  ;)
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: July 24 2004, 06:37

Don't you have the video of these performances? :)

Anyway, thank you very much for sharing the audio version! :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 24 2004, 06:58

Well thats certainly news to me and now that I know the truth I'll enjoy Planxty Fanny Power all the more for it. However the bootleg I've got is less than brilliant quality which doesn't help matters. I'm more interested to hear there's video footage of the duet has anyone got it?
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: July 25 2004, 09:57

I've got an MPG file with the 2 last minutes of the Planxty Fanny Power performed on Munich 82. The file is about 45 MB. Maybe on any FTP site there's the full video of that track.

About the Planxty Fanny Power performed on Musical Express, well, being a TV program should be a video but maybe there are only few copies in VHS, who knows. I can't believe nobody recorded the original show. It was later broadcasted again but only partially so there are videos from all the tracks except Planxty Fanny Power and the 2 Ommadawn tracks (IMHO, the excerpt from Ommadawn (part 2) is the most interesting from this performance).
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: July 25 2004, 18:25

the movie file is on e-mule and i'm trying and trying........................to get it
Profile PM 
The Lake Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2004, 06:04

Here is the emule-link for the complete Video from "Fanny Planxty Power Live in Munich"

ed2k://|file|Mike%20Oldfield%20&%20Paddy%20Moloney%20-%20Fanny%20Planxty%20Power%20live%20Munich%201983%20vcd.mpg|72081184|ABB4572EC4843E5C7F9775A9F092E498|/

Good Download!

--------------
...and in the end Tubular Bells...
Profile PM WEB 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2004, 18:47

Hint:

Select the link, [CTRL+C], open eMule v0.43b, go to Tools menu, Direct Download, [CTRL+V], click on Download and wait.

Gracias Spinne! Thanks, The Lake!

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2004, 12:26

id like to see video of musical express where is ommadawn part 1...i have 2 different vhs recordings from musical express and pastosi is last track.

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Dec. 28 2004, 12:30

Could you please tell us the tracklist of these 2 VHS recordings of Musical Express?
Thanks in advance

The videos for Musical Express already circulating aren't from the original broadcast (1981) but for an 'edited' version of the program broadcasted around 1983. This version is not complete and some tracks are missing. Fortunately some of these missing tracks were included in other programs which compiled some extracts from previous broadcasts. That happened with Pastosi (Mike with Diego Cortés) and an excerpt of the end of Ommadawn (part 1). You can download this last video from eMule thanks to eb2eiy who found the video on spanish Nostalgia channel, recorded it and ripped it in an AVI file sharing it in eMule. Here's the elink:
ed2k://|file|Mike.Oldfield.-.Ommadawn.extract.(Musical.Express.-.TVE.1981).-.By.eb2eiy.avi|34902016|BF0B0DEDCDAB1A3895A122E03E39B195|/....5|
Profile PM 
eder Offline

Posted: July 01 2006, 08:24

Is anybody who know when they played that concert?
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: July 01 2006, 19:32

Quote (eder @ July 01 2006, 14:24)
Is anybody who know when they played that concert?

AFAIK it was on 9th of July, 1981.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: July 12 2006, 18:14

I managed to download it. Great concert, the gem for me is the live performance of a section of Ommadawn part 2.

Angel Casas looks familiar. Did he appear in a later video introducing one of Mike's Then & Now concerts in 1999?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 14 2006, 04:52

Just for the records: The song´s called "Planxty Power".

No Fanny this time!  ;)
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: July 14 2006, 17:29

No, the song is called Planxty Fanny Power (Poer) and wrote by irish harper Turlough O'Carolan. If you google a bit you will find that the chain Fanny Planxty Power is basically found in Mike pages. But searching the chain Planxty Fanny Power, you will have a lot of pages about O'Carolan and irish music.

Probably, the first time the song was mentioned in any bootleg it was miswritten and have been repeating this mistake all the time, so in all the Mike Oldfield pages, bootlegs... it's named in the wrong way.

Here are some links:
http://www.contemplator.com/carolan/caroltun.html (includes a midi version)
http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/957

Planxty, is a word that O'Carolan used to use in those songs which name was somebody's name (in our song is that Fanny Power). An irish band used this word, planxty, as their name. This band recorded a mix of 2 traditional polkas, Dennis Murphy's Polka and John Ryans' Polka (http://www.slowplayers.org/SCTLS/playlist.html for a midi of both). In the Dublin show in 1980, Mike said that the song that we know as Polka is based on that track of the group Planxty. What a small world, don't you think? ;)
Profile PM 
16 replies since July 23 2004, 14:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net