Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music VR now available from tubular.net< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 09:51

There was some concern amongst Music VR fans when the Music VR sections were removed from mikeoldfield.com in its redesign last year.

We're pleased to say that Music VR has a new home here at tubular.net - we've been given permission to act as the new official source for all things Music VR. You can download Tres Lunas and Maestro via the links on the front page for now. They're both completely free to download and use.

You can visit the Music VR area on the forum for support.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 13:49

That's great. I've just downloaded them again as I thought that would be easier than transferring them from my old pc to the new one...

However - does the fact that tub.net is now the 'official' home for MusicVR mean that the mikeoldfield.com site is not really going to return in its original form? All we've got at the moment is that lame TubularBells2009 promo site, and of course all of that is now pretty much out-of-date.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Kiwwy Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 15:38

The Earth Spirit is watching you!

--------------
TB Ultimate #363
Platinum #101
QE2 #749
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 17:35

Like it or not,at least MusicVR is still avaiable to everybody...it's part of Mike's work like his music.

Downloading on my laptop here!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
SunkenForest Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 19:35

I've never actually played either game, so I think this is a good oppertunity to do so.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 20:33

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Jan. 27 2010, 17:49)
However - does the fact that tub.net is now the 'official' home for MusicVR mean that the mikeoldfield.com site is not really going to return in its original form? All we've got at the moment is that lame TubularBells2009 promo site, and of course all of that is now pretty much out-of-date.

Good question...

Certainly Universal has no interest in Music VR at all and I'm not sure that Mike really has a massive interest in it either (certainly not a great enough interest to want to maintain a site for it), so I really doubt mikeoldfield.com will ever return in the exact same form it used to be in. The decision to let us do this was Oldfield Interactive's rather than Universal's though, so I suppose it doesn't actually change whatever Universal's plans for mikeoldfield.com might have been.

What are Universal's plans for mikeoldfield.com? Who knows...it hardly looks like they have much enthusiasm for doing anything with it at the moment. I have to say I'd be surprised if anything like the old mikeoldfield.com returns in the near future, but we'll have to wait and see.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 27 2010, 23:21

How was permission obtained - or are you not at liberty to say?
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2010, 11:46

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 28 2010, 01:33)
Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Jan. 27 2010, 17:49)

Good question...

Certainly Universal has no interest in Music VR at all and I'm not sure that Mike really has a massive interest in it either (certainly not a great enough interest to want to maintain a site for it), so I really doubt mikeoldfield.com will ever return in the exact same form it used to be in. The decision to let us do this was Oldfield Interactive's rather than Universal's though, so I suppose it doesn't actually change whatever Universal's plans for mikeoldfield.com might have been.

What are Universal's plans for mikeoldfield.com? Who knows...it hardly looks like they have much enthusiasm for doing anything with it at the moment. I have to say I'd be surprised if anything like the old mikeoldfield.com returns in the near future, but we'll have to wait and see.

Curious. I thought there was an announcement on that very topic on the front page - i.e. to the effect that mikeoldfield.com would be returning in the near future...?

Like you though, I'm skeptical that it will given that it now won't include the MusicVR stuff. Sounds to me like the content's been dismantled at the very least, if not completely abandoned.
My guess is that Universal will have to make some amendments/modifications to the TB2009 site (if they intend to keep it relevant), so as to include promotion for the upcoming re-releases. Given that though, I don't know why they created a release-specific site in the first place as they must have realised it would only have a very short life-span! Folks interested in the new Hergest Ridge or Ommadawn editions probably wouldn't immediately think to visit www.tubularbells2009.com, would they?  ;)

Actually, the more I think about, the more suspicious I am that Universal won't be doing anything in the way of new web content for MO anytime soon. I really hope I'm wrong! (I guess I must be feeling especially cynical today  :/ )

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2010, 15:13

Another phase Mike went through and got bored with. I just wish he spent all that time and energy on music.
Profile PM WEB 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2010, 05:06

Quote (Kiwwy @ Jan. 27 2010, 15:38)
The Earth Spirit is watching you!

I think in your case it is Motoko who is watching.  :D

I liked the Tres Lunas game. There was always something to do. But Maestro seems too big and empty to me.
I wish there were more games like this though.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2010, 09:52

Quote (Black Bunik @ Feb. 04 2010, 05:06)
I liked the Tres Lunas game. There was always something to do. But Maestro seems too big and empty to me.
I wish there were more games like this though.

Maestro is a more personal game: it's no coincidence that the first and last letters are M and O. I get the impression that in it Mr O is expressing his feelings about life at that stage: it's big and empty: one quest may lead you to another world (albeit a world with paradoxically lively yet sad music) but the other simply leads to your own grave.

An autobiographical game...? Surely such a thing is unique.
Profile PM 
familyman Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2010, 04:36

Is this the old website everyone is talking about?
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2010, 10:57

Quote (familyman @ Feb. 15 2010, 09:36)
Is this the old website everyone is talking about?

It's still there then after all?!

How strange! Why has it been re-named u-myx-mikeoldfield, I wonder?

It doesn't appear at the top of search engine results for MO anymore either, unless you specifically search for u-myx or Maestro as well...

--------------

Profile PM 
MVR Superstar Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2010, 08:37

You can still download the games. What a waste of our time! :D

--------------
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams
Profile PM 
Heaven Offline

Posted: Jan. 04 2011, 19:53

Quote (Korgscrew @ Jan. 27 2010, 09:51)
There was some concern amongst Music VR fans when the Music VR sections were removed from mikeoldfield.com in its redesign last year.

We're pleased to say that Music VR has a new home here at tubular.net - we've been given permission to act as the new official source for all things Music VR. You can download Tres Lunas and Maestro via the links on the front page for now. They're both completely free to download and use.

You can visit the Music VR area on the forum for support.

Thank you KScrew, I downloaded it onto my mac and using windows simulator I'm able to play it nicely. I've only just started using it and I adore everything about it. Very inspiring. :)

--------------
~Only in a blue night
He comes to her only in the Blue night
That's when the whole night belongs to her
Only in the blue night~
Profile PM 
14 replies since Jan. 27 2010, 09:51 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net