Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music VR available for free download, (at MikeOldfield.com)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 23 2007, 13:11

I'm not sure when this happened, nor to what extent folk on Tubular.net are aware of it, but it seems that both Tr3sLunas and Maestro are now available to download free of charge from MikeOldfield.com. If you go to the relevant section of the site for each game and click 'purchase', you're told that it's now free, and are given a download link to click on.

How this works in practice I don't know - I presume that neither online registration, nor a key, is needed any longer? But I can't try this out myself without uninstalling the games from my machine, which I don't particularly want to do. If someone out there would like to try installing them and tell us what happens, and if there are any snags, it would be useful to know.

[Thanks to 'Alfredodedarc' for alerting us to this.]
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: June 23 2007, 14:16

Never played it before....but I have just downloaded it and installed on my vista pc, and tried playing it......there was no problems at all and I didn´t need a key og register!

It says that it was developed by MO and Fanny! - I didn´t know that Fannys greedy little hands was in on this project?

Anyways....it works fine on my kickass, state-of-the-art computer  :cool:

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 23 2007, 14:26

When I downloaded Tres Lunas, it was a simple process - no registration nor a key was involved.

Except for occasional graphical 'blocks' (which may be due to my comp or the settings I selected when installing the game), gameplay was fine. The sound was great and the movement smooth. Actually, I haven't quite gotten the motion control down, but I blame my 'World of Warcraft' training for that. I got a little freaked when I apparently set off some sort of alarm, and the cactus went up in flames five or six times.  :O That's bad, isn't it?? But this may have been more appropriate for another topic.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 23 2007, 16:32

Can you tell us what the version numbers are, please, for both Maestro and Tr3s Lunas? (You see it at the top of the big grey panel that opens when you first start up the game.)

For people who are new to Tr3sLunas, don't forget there's a comprehensive Tr3s Lunas Guide here on Tubular.net.

Another question:
Access to the MusicVR Club forum up to now has involved entering your personal registration key. What happens now? Can anyone sign up? Or maybe it's not possible to get access apart from existing members? The entry page is here, but I see it still requests a registration key. Maybe someone could try signing up but leaving that blank and see what happens?

[....not that much happens in there, these days]
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: June 23 2007, 17:59

I've downloaded both and have only had a chance to play Maestro for a few minutes.  Seems to work fine.  Both say that they are version 1.3c.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Pendragon Offline

Posted: June 23 2007, 23:22

This is great.  I haven't played in years cause I couldn't get it running on my new computer.

Thanks so much for sharing this info, Alan.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 04:21

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ June 23 2007, 22:59)
Both say that they are version 1.3c.

Ah, thanks Mary. So the versions that are available free are clearly marked as the most up to date versions (mine are 1.3b).

I must say, I think this is a nice and very welcome gesture on Mike's part. In a way it's kind of sad, because it tells us that as far as he's concerned, the MVR experiment is at an end. But we knew that already, so this is really only confirmation of it.

He never was going to recoup any significant amount of money from the games, and he's clearly lost interest in them himself. He could have simply let them fade away quietly. But in giving them away like this, and in abandoning the awkward online registration scheme (which no one liked, and which was a bother if you needed to reinstall the game more than once), he's effectively allowed them a second chance to have an influence on people.

Nice one Mike. These games have been a hugely enriching experience in my own life, and I think it's great that this way, they're still out there for others to discover. [Good to know from Onion's post, too, that they work OK with Vista.]
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 24 2007, 06:25

:)

Fab, nice to see you happy about it as well Alan  :p

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 24 2007, 06:54

and it works! no problem at all, on my nice shiny new vista box that has problems with just about everything else!

Well done Colin and thankyou.

Now to start spreading the word...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 08:37

Quote (onion @ June 23 2007, 19:16)
It says that it was developed by MO and Fanny! - I didn´t know that Fannys greedy little hands was in on this project?

I'd intended to mention this earlier but forgot: I'm disappointed that you thought it necessary to make such an offensive comment, particularly at a moment when the hands in question have played a part in giving you two excellent games for free.

For the record, Fanny was administrator of the MVR forum for a while (I presume she still is, in theory, if not in practice), and she also joined in some of the online games. I don't know what part she played in the development of the programs themselves, but any member of the MVR forum is aware that she was clearly interested and involved to some degree.
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 09:31

Thanks, Alan for your interesting comments. I have some doubts... I have both games registered; could I apply these new installers without any fear about re-registration and so...???
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 09:57

Quote (Alan D @ June 24 2007, 14:37)
I'd intended to mention this earlier but forgot: I'm disappointed that you thought it necessary to make such an offensive comment, particularly at a moment when the hands in question have played a part in giving you two excellent games for free.

It may be offensive to you, but I sincerely think Fanny is a golddigger by nature   ;)
As for free game, I tried maestro just for answer threadstarter (you) about the free game download and registration! - I don´t care about the game and what I saw was crappy graphic..so after answering your questions, I uninstalled again...
Bottomline is, I´m still offensive but I don´t have the free game  :D
Don´t want it, don´t need it and Fanny still have greedy little hands  :/

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 10:11

I've had the demos,but only now I'm downloading the full version.The problem for me at the time the games were released was basically my computer's settings as well as the price,which I couldn't afford it.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 10:21

I've spent a little more time with each game today.  I find it rather difficult to maneuver but I suppose that it will get easier with time.  I can't seem to save my progress though and have to keep starting over.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 12:13

Quote (Nacho @ June 24 2007, 14:31)
Thanks, Alan for your interesting comments. I have some doubts... I have both games registered; could I apply these new installers without any fear about re-registration and so...???

I'm in the same situation as you are, Nacho, and I don't see any point in uninstalling my existing versions just as an experiment.

So .... what I've done is to download the new free 1.3c versions and put them on a CD. So in future, if and when I need to reinstall either of them (either on this computer, or another one), I'll install the new versions.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 12:14

Quote (onion @ June 24 2007, 14:57)
Bottomline is, I´m still offensive

Well, I'm glad we can agree on something.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 12:26

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ June 24 2007, 15:21)
I find it rather difficult to maneuver but I suppose that it will get easier with time.

Yes it does. In fact it gets easier quite quickly, the more you play.

I can't seem to save my progress though and have to keep starting over.

There is no way to save either game, but in the case of Tr3s Lunas there's no need to save it. It isn't that kind of game. In fact saving the game would almost certainly hinder your exploration I should think. The best suggestion I have is to just keep exploring and trying things, and don't worry about 'solving' anything. It isn't a goal-orientated adventure game; it's a vast multi-dimensioned audio-visual world to explore.

Maestro, however, would have benefited from a save game feature, I think. In that game there is one particular 'goal' which involves a pretty lengthy exercise..... But even so, the main thing at this stage is just to explore and discover.

Maybe we should organise an online game to celebrate the new free editions. Unfortunately for some reason the last time I played the game, it crashed spectacularly after about 10 minutes, which suggests I've acquired a driver problem - which I should try to solve.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 13:59

Yeah, I think it's a nice gesture from Mike. Probably he should have done it some time ago, but it's never too late.

Quote (onion @ June 24 2007, 15:57)
I don´t care about the game and what I saw was crappy graphic..so after answering your questions, I uninstalled again...

There're many reasons to hate or love the games, but I think I'll never understand that one...
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 16:22

Quote (Pendragon @ June 24 2007, 04:22)
This is great.  I haven't played in years cause I couldn't get it running on my new computer.

It sounds as though these version are working for you, now - yes? Both of them? Hope you're enjoying them.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 18:23

@ Alan: Do you think I should re-download MVR? I've no idea what version I currently have on the PC, as I have installed and dis-installed it I don't know how many times. :D

Also, you should contact me in private and we should have quite a long talk about Maestro, which I've never played, but I'd love to. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
83 replies since June 23 2007, 13:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net