Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music VR available for free download, (at MikeOldfield.com)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 24 2007, 20:57

I think that was an intelligent move by Mike and Fanny. Many a great game company is still trying to churn out money with games that are 10, 15 years old, or even more, which is stupid. At least that way, Mike might garner a bit more attention, and acknowledges that it's better to gain an audience than money. :)

I still think it looks a bit silly, thinking of MusicVR as an "experiment"... I mean, you had to paid to experiment it and now use it for free. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Pendragon Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 24 2007, 21:25

[It sounds as though these version are working for you, now - yes? Both of them? Hope you're enjoying them.]

Yes, both.  Although I'm remembering that VR games make me nauseous.   :/    I'll never get through Maestro.

That aside, I'm having a blast.  Thanks again!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: June 24 2007, 22:32

I was expecting some sort of an action like this from him after reading Mike's comments on the subject on the autobio.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 00:56

Even when free, I still can't be bothered to have a go. I'd rather go to the dentist!
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 03:14

Quote (Ugo @ June 24 2007, 23:23)
Do you think I should re-download MVR? I've no idea what version I currently have on the PC, as I have installed and dis-installed it I don't know how many times.

Download them and put them on CD for a rainy day, yes. (That's what I've done.) But I can't see any need to reinstall, as long as the versions you have already are working OK.

Also, you should contact me in private and we should have quite a long talk about Maestro, which I've never played, but I'd love to.

OK. Watch this space. Well, no - not this space, but that space.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 03:21

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 25 2007, 01:57)
I still think it looks a bit silly, thinking of MusicVR as an "experiment"... I mean, you had to paid to experiment it and now use it for free.

Sorry Sir M - I don't understand what you mean, here.

captainjjb said:
Even when free, I still can't be bothered to have a go. I'd rather go to the dentist!

Well, dental health is important, because both are the kind of games that you can really get your teeth into.
Profile PM 
gary1eye Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 05:00

I uninstalled my copies of the games on my laptop (which worked ok version 1.3b)and download and install both the free version's on my laptop.But for me both the games have problems with the graphic's (card is a nvidia geforce 6800) which i had not before.I keep getting a "squares" showing in the background. So i have reinstall the 1.3b version and everything is working ok again.

Gary ;)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 05:14

Quote (gary1eye @ June 25 2007, 10:00)
I uninstalled my copies of the games on my laptop (which worked ok version 1.3b)and download and install both the free version's on my laptop.But for me both the games have problems with the graphic's (card is a nvidia geforce 6800) which i had not before.I keep getting a "squares" showing in the background. So i have reinstall the 1.3b version and everything is working ok again.

That's strange, Gary, don't you think? It suggests that Colin's done more than just change the registration system - it sounds as though he's actually tinkered with the engine as well.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 25 2007, 05:22

Would it be reasonable (or legal) for the distribution .exes to be hosted in other locations? Would tubular.net host them? Just thinking that we know some of Mikes websites and ideas change with time or become neglected and dissappear, wouldn't want that to happen with MusicVR...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 07:51

@ Alan - Maybe Sir M. referred to Mike himself - i.e. he considered (or considers) MVR as an experiment... Sir M., correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

[I wanted to write something else in here, but I've changed my mind and I'm writing it to you as a PM. :D]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 08:27

Quote (Ugo @ June 25 2007, 12:51)
Maybe Sir M. referred to Mike himself - i.e. he considered (or considers) MVR as an experiment...

Well, I don't know. I'd referred to the 'MVR experiment' in one of my earlier posts in this thread, but if that's what Sir M is referring to, then maybe he's taken me too literally. I was merely using the word to describe something that Mike tried out for a time - in the sense that trying new wines might be called an 'experiment'; or reading (or even writing) a type of novel you hadn't tried before. So in the course of his musical career he 'experimented' with Music VR and has now moved on.

Of course at the outset, he really did wonder if it would take off and make a significant impact. I remember seeing an interview made at the time where he talked about that possibility, pointing out that initially Tubular Bells had been thought an unlikely contender in the popularity stakes, but 'look what happened to that'.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 09:33

Oh W O W! This is wonderful news. Thankyou to Alan for informing us, if you hadn't it would be doubtful we would have heard about it. Seems Toby was right in the thread about Mikeoldfield.com when he said about artists being generous to their fans and it being reciprocated ( the words of Peter Gabriel )! Thanks Mike, nice one!!

I've always held back from these games for a couple of reasons, partly due to a lack of state of the art technology in my home at the time when they first came out & also because I worried the beauty of the music in my head would forever be changed once I'd seen images in the game ( like reading a fantastic book & then seeing the film version, there's always something different or missing & it changes everything forever ). It's strange but I was coming round to the idea because my youngest son was enjoying playing around with the demo that I had of Tres Lunas and lately quite unconsciously he'd been humming bits he'd heard, so I was beginning to think was it fair to not let him have a go! And then I read this about it being more readily available.

So, yes, it's now being played. I feel dreadfully guilty that I didn't buy it but that's the way it goes I guess.

I shall never forget the surprise I had when I found myself in the company of a lovely owl and was flying through a forest, I felt the cold and could smell the pine forest. When I get the controls sorted I shall enjoy the sensations of gentle movement ~ right now it's like having my foot to the floor on the accelerator pedal ( a friend of mine calls it the exhilarator pedal - funny thing is, she thinks that's what it's called!;) and then slamming on the brakes. I can see it could become addictive, just one more exploration, just one more look over there...Oh dear another hour's gone by!! Love the unexpected things and the openness of the landscape, I feel I'm wandering around in a virtual Salvador Dali painting, especially with ants and elephants and large rocks etc etc.

I'm still thinking about Maestro, what, if any, are the significant differences between the two? We are happy with Tres Lunas for now, it'll take a while to explore but curious about the other game.

bee

:)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 10:23

Quote (bee @ June 25 2007, 14:33)
I'm still thinking about Maestro, what, if any, are the significant differences between the two? We are happy with Tres Lunas for now, it'll take a while to explore but curious about the other game.

Well, it's horses for courses, and all I can do is give my personal opinion, but whereas I enjoy Maestro, I love Tr3s Lunas. Some differences:

1. Maestro is more 'goal-oriented'. There are two basic progressions - both very different. One is to achieve the level of 'Maestro'; the other is to go on a complex and lengthy medal-collecting odyssey to reach Mike's 'secret place'. Although Tr3sLunas does have a theme of that sort (collecting 7 rings), it's really quite incidental to the experience.

2. There's a lot more music in Tr3sLunas than there is in Maestro.

3. So much of Tr3sLunas takes place in the open air; there's a sense of great open spaces. Maestro, by contrast, can be claustrophobic. There are a lot of tunnels and you do a lot of travelling along them. That said, there are magnificent places and moments in Maestro - a vast land inhabited by dinosaurs, an astounding transition between two spacecraft, a visit to the Taj Mahal (yes, complete with the music from TB2003, and it never seemed so good as it does in here), etc, etc.

4. Maestro is programmed more tightly. There are very few 'unofficial' things you can do in the game. But in Tr3s Lunas the ends are more loosely tied, and it's possible to slip under the guard of the program and explore whole new worlds that are not accessible within the official game at all. Once we discovered these places, Tr3sLunas took on a whole new dimension, and a lot of our activity involved exploring them. All this is documented in The Tr3s Lunas Guide.

That might do for starters. Except to say that I'm really glad you've found your way to that magical place at last, Tracey.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 11:35

For anyone who is confused:

You can see a map of Maestro here.

And a map of Tr3s Lunas (much less necessary) here.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 12:25

Thanks for sharing the links to the maps.  I don't necessarily like to cheat by looking at maps when I play, but I feel a bit overwhelmed as I travel through the games because there is just so much to see and do.  This will help.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 15:06

Yes, thanks for the map links, very useful.( must have taken ages to compile ). And for the info on Maestro etc.

Very grateful for the help.

bee

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 15:33

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ June 25 2007, 17:25)
I don't necessarily like to cheat by looking at maps when I play

With these games - particularly Tr3sLunas - you can't really cheat by consulting a map, because they're not that kind of game. For some people, looking at a map might spoil the fun of exploration, but personally, I found having a map really helped me to enjoy Maestro. For Tr3s Lunas it didn't matter.

@bee:
must have taken ages to compile

Well, there were four of us at it with the TL map (credits on the map) - but it did take a while to get it right.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 17:02

I can't even imagine how you were able to make the map - I feel so lost when I'm out there in his virtual world.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: June 26 2007, 09:25

Oh, yes, it's for free now...
a shame that I can't play it on my Mac... :/

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 26 2007, 10:55

Has anyone tried running MusicVR or Maestro under windows emulators? I have access to a Linux box with WINE on it and I'll give that a go... Are there similar emulation programs for Mac?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
83 replies since June 23 2007, 13:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net