Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music Of The Spheres tracklisting< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Baum Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 29 2007, 05:15

Forget about that. It was just about how somebody wanted the album to be, it's not based on any facts.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 29 2007, 05:23

Thanks Baum

I should have guessed !!

Neil  :(  :D
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 29 2007, 12:01

nice guess anyway!
Would be nice to hear something... :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Martina Offline

Posted: July 30 2007, 14:18

Well, I quite like the track names, there's some dark mood in them. Of course I'd love to see some new long instrumental by Mike, so this sounds very hopefully :), but what I'm a bit afraid of is the lack of the electric guitars. We'll see. :O
BTW: Baroque and roll already exists - it's a "baroque-metal" piece by Yngwie Malmsteen. :cool:
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 30 2007, 14:25

Quote (Martina @ July 30 2007, 19:18)
BTW: Baroque and roll already exists - it's a "baroque-metal" piece by Yngwie Malmsteen. :cool:

How about "Abaroque", then?
Profile PM 
Ecco Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 30 2007, 18:08

Quote (Alan D @ July 30 2007, 14:25)
Quote (Martina @ July 30 2007, 19:18)
BTW: Baroque and roll already exists - it's a "baroque-metal" piece by Yngwie Malmsteen. :cool:

How about "Abaroque", then?

:)  Good one!

It's nice to come back here and find this wonderful news. Been waiting years for Mike to do something like this!

--------------
http://www.myspace.com/twilighttide
Profile PM WEB 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 13:04

Quote (Jerome C @ July 23 2007, 10:44)
I hope this means a 2 tracks album with a "fake track listing" (like for TB 2003) and not real tiny bits of classical music...

I know the above quote is from very early in the thread but one of the main reasons these days for splitting long tracks into shorter bitesize pieces is so they can be downloaded.

My first CD (Transient Emotions) has just been picked up by a US distribution company who have insisted that any tracks longer than 7 minutes get split into a Part 1 and a Part 2 so that they can be downloaded - when played back to back there is no gap. Companies like iTunes don't let customers download long tracks individually, they have to buy the whole album.

Because of the above my inclination is to believe that it is 2 long pieces of music split down into separate tracks for purely commercial reasons.

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 13:22

Quote (Ginger Daddy @ July 31 2007, 13:04)
Because of the above my inclination is to believe that it is 2 long pieces of music split down into separate tracks for purely commercial reasons.

Although I do understand this I'm hoping there's no tiny silences between the 'tracks', as it makes the whole thing disjointed imo. This spoilt Tubular Bells 2003 for me, as brilliantly perfect as it was, I could hear those little breaks. I'd like it to flow. And Mike is the master at blending and joining musical ideas....Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge etc etc. I think his work is meant to be heard as a whole, so looking forward to what an orchestra can do with it.  :) Why should commercial pressure & even technological pressure get the upper hand, when it's the music that matters. Think the LP idea is an excellent idea, count me in on that, something really special... maybe the start of a new era? :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 14:50

Quote (bee @ July 31 2007, 13:22)
Quote (Ginger Daddy @ July 31 2007, 13:04)

Although I do understand this I'm hoping there's no tiny silences between the 'tracks', as it makes the whole thing disjointed imo. This spoilt Tubular Bells 2003 for me, as brilliantly perfect as it was, I could hear those little breaks. I'd like it to flow.

I'm not at all concerned about the number of tracks. I just assume it'll be as seamless (if and where it needs to be) as Tubular Bells 2003.

Bee, I find it odd to hear of TB2003 having silences between the tracks. I vaguely recall something similar on a non-MO album some years ago until I adjusted the playback preferences. Since I've never encountered that problem again, and TB2003 flows perfectly for me, I'm inclined to lay the blame on your player or player software.  :/

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 15:21

Mike was again very briefly in classicfm (in John Brunning's Newsnight a bit over an hour ago), and this time they played two very short snippets from the album. Only about 20 seconds or so in total, so not much to talk about... the longer of the two excerpts was simply strings and oboe playing along.

The part with Mike lasted only about last 4 minutes of the program, and Mike just mentioned something with his collaboration with Karl Jenkins. The presenter made a mention, that Mike was very very impressed with Hayley Westenra's voice. There is also some Chinese pianist performing in the album, and Mike explained how he was in contact with the pianist via webcam (she resides in New York) and he could talk with her about how and what she should play. He was impressed about how quickly she learned to play her part like Mike had hoped.

Can't remember more about the content... Hopefully classicfm will make a podcast about that show, though, soon. Too bad I didn't have time to give heads-up about it here! I noticed a message about the broadcast in Hayley Westenra's forum, when the show had run more than half way... Luckily Mike's part was at the very end at about 7PM UK time.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 16:15

If there is anything more you could tell about these excerpts PLEASE do! I understand that it's hard for they were so short but anything is welcome. Did they sound modern, ancient, peacefull, agressive, odd, famialiar, well orchestrated...?

Hopefully they'll play more from the album so someone might record it. Classisfm isn't available online outside UK anymore so that's just....... :(
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 17:21

Quote (Harmono @ July 31 2007, 16:15)
If there is anything more you could tell about these excerpts PLEASE do! I understand that it's hard for they were so short but anything is welcome. Did they sound modern, ancient, peacefull, agressive, odd, famialiar, well orchestrated...?

Hopefully they'll play more from the album so someone might record it. Classisfm isn't available online outside UK anymore so that's just....... :(

Well, the part with Mike started with one of the presenters introducing Mike and the fact that he is the man behind Tubular Bells (don't they all start with that  :D ). Then he mentioned that those familiar with his music, might recognise the reference to Tubular Bells here... and then they played the first excerpt, and while it didn't go melodically anywhere near the TB intro (at least I couldn't find the similarity), there was something rhythmically that made sense. It's hard to describe, really - quite fast, strings used to create rhythm as much as melody, very dynamic. I can't really put it to words more. That lasted maybe about 10 seconds.

The second excerpt was much more peaceful, and lasted maybe 15-20 seconds. It was strings going background, not full scale, only a few violins in the foreground. And for a short section there was an oboe (could have been clarinet or bassoon, too, I can't remember the pitch/sound of it exactly). That excerpt was clearly just a snippet inside a theme, whose "frame" didn't have time to reveal anything more. It started somewhere in the middle and ended before the end... if you know what I mean.

The overall sound of orchestration was very nice in my opinion, although you can't say much by so short extracts. There wasn't time for any melodyline or theme to present itself... Anyway, as short as they were, sounded very good to me. No acoustic guitar or piano in the excerpts.

By the way, I live in Finland, and I listened the program online. I'm sure you can do that too. Here's the link of how to:

http://www.classicfm.com/Article.asp?id=250813&spid=13479

... and here's the page to the Newsnight-program, where they mention Mike being part of the show this night, and that they are exclusively previewing the album (would have thought they had played it a bit longer, really :/ )

http://www.classicfm.com/article.asp?id=227124
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 17:33

I've emailed the Newsnight program team pleading for them to podcast it but I doubt if they will oblige.... the program has a weekly highlights podcast for this daily show so I'll be surprised if it's included in the next one !!! Damn & Blast  :(  :(
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 17:35

No direct links for the extracts ?
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 19:03

Thanks Mix.

Listening to classicfm right now. For some reason the very same site tells me it's not available outside UK because of copyright issues(that is if I read correctly).

Good to hear that it sounded pleasent. Ofcourse only about ten seconds isn't much, but I do have a good feeling about this.

:)
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 19:37

Just a small addition to my earlier message: The Chinese pianist, with whom Mike worked via webcam, is most likely Lang Lang ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lang_Lang_(pianist) ). To me it sounded as "La La", when they talked about him, and I presumed it was SHE. It's HE  :p

Just noticed that in Newsnight on Thursday they will talk about a music festival in Switzerland, and Lang Lang is mentioned as being one of the stars there. Remote chance that something Mike-related gets mentioned in the context...
( http://www.classicfm.com/article.asp?id=227124 )
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 31 2007, 21:50

Mike appears on Classic FM and there isn't ANY newsalert somewhere else(MO.com,here,other MO sites) for us to hear online those interviews,what a *wonderful promotion* for MOTS  :(

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 01 2007, 03:33

Tuesday - An exclusive on Classic Newsnight this evening. Mike Oldfield talks to Classic FM ahead of the release of his first classical album called Music of the Spheres. The man behind the enormously successful album, Tubular Bells, reveals what it's been like to work on this latest project with Karl Jenkins. We'll also be exclusively previewing the new work which comes out in the autumn.

Pity they ainnt got the BBC playback "Feature" :zzz:
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2007, 07:06

I find incredible how much excited I was while reading last few posts (especially one my Mix - thanks!;). ) I guess I'm really looking forward to this album.
Profile PM WEB 
pipetune Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2007, 16:19

Personally I find M.O so disappointing to support. We wait all this time with next to no news and then when we do it’s……………….45mins 30sec!! I’m sorry but that is short. :(
Profile PM 
110 replies since July 23 2007, 09:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net