[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music Of The Spheres tracklisting< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 26 2007, 03:59

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 23 2007, 15:00)
We know many of you have been waiting for this! Now here it is, just in from Universal Music, the tracklisting for Music Of The Spheres:

Part 1
1.   Harbinger - 04.08
2.   Animus - 03.09
3.   Silhouette - 03.19
4.   Shabda - 04.00
5.   The Tempest - 05.48
6.   Harbinger (reprise) - 01.30
7.   On My Heart - 02.27 Featuring Hayley Westenra

Part 2
8.    Aurora - 03.42
9.    Prophecy - 02.54
10.  On My Heart (reprise) - 01.16
11.  Harmonia Mudi - 03.46
12.  The Other Side - 01.28
13.  Empyrean - 01.37
14.  Musica Universalis - 06.24

Total running time:  45.30

The album will be released on CD and also - for the very first time for a classical recording - on USB flash drive.

Unfortunately the release date has been pushed back a week; the date for UK release is now November 12th.

There seems to be a slight mistake in the track listing:

Track. # 11 should be written "Harmonia Mundi".

;)
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 26 2007, 07:47

I don't even know what it means. Harmonica...no?
Sounds like african or something...??  :p

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 26 2007, 13:02

Quote (manintherain @ July 26 2007, 08:59)
There seems to be a slight mistake in the track listing:

Track. # 11 should be written "Harmonia Mundi".

Well...I said that back on page 1, but is it definitely a mistake?
I agree that it's probably meant to be Harmonia Mundi (harmony of the world) but that's the spelling we've been given. I realise this might come across as slightly anal, but until I've had confirmation that it's definitely supposed to be Harmonia Mundi (I've already queried it), I'm going to leave it as it is. Something actually makes me suspect that it's a mistake which isn't just restricted to the listing we've been given, but we'll see about that...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 26 2007, 18:51

Harmonia Mundi is the name of a French classical music label, mainly concerned with baroque music. Maybe the error is intentional to avoid confusion? :D

@ Velodynamic: literally, Harmonia Mundi means "Harmony of the World". Harmonia Mudi means nothing. ;)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 26 2007, 20:53

Harmony Of The World...well why didn't they just say so?  :D

Many thanks for the clearification.  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: July 27 2007, 03:04

Quote (Ugo @ July 26 2007, 18:51)
Harmonia Mundi is the name of a French classical music label

He's not signing to them, now, is he...?

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Horse Offline

Posted: July 27 2007, 03:53

Harmonuim Moody?  :p
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: July 27 2007, 05:09

"muddy harmony", with 90+ spanish guitars playing different chords at the same time. ;)
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 27 2007, 07:12

"muddy harmonium" - keyboard played in Gloustershire floods?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
iGav Offline

Posted: July 27 2007, 07:39

This has me intrigued - there was an interview with Mike on the Steve Wright show where he said the next album would be just like his old albums and probably three sections. He made it sound like we were to expect an album which sounded like his work from the 70s.

Also somewhere (I think on MikeOldfield.com) he said that he had three years to deliver the album and was taking some time to reflect on it.

Is "the Music of the Spheres" the same album?  He seems to have delivered this quite quickly - fair enough an orchestral album would take less production time as Mike wouldn't be recording everything himself.

But what if there is another classic Mike Oldfield waiting in the wings gestating away, based on all the reflection he did with writing changeling - the final chapter of which sounded as close to a manifesto of future work as I've ever heard.

I have my fingers crossed for a fantastic orchestral record, but even more, I want Mike to produce another full length album in the mode of his greatest work from the 70s
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 27 2007, 11:01

Quote (iGav @ July 27 2007, 13:39)
Also somewhere (I think on MikeOldfield.com) he said that he had three years to deliver the album and was taking some time to reflect on it.

Whouldn't that mean that he made L+S simultaneously as MOTS?

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 27 2007, 14:28

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ July 27 2007, 09:04)
Quote (Ugo @ July 26 2007, 18:51)
Harmonia Mundi is the name of a French classical music label

He's not signing to them, now, is he...?

Well, HM (the label) is mainly [not manly as I previously wrote!! :laugh:]  baroque music. Some of Mike's music certainly has some exaggerated baroque elements, but it wasn't certainly composed in the baroque period. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 27 2007, 14:56

Quote (Ugo @ July 27 2007, 20:28)
Well, HM (the label) is manly baroque music.

Sorry, but I just had to laugh at this.  :D
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 27 2007, 16:40

Quote (Ugo @ July 27 2007, 19:28)
Some of Mike's music certainly has some exaggerated baroque elements

Baroque 'n roll?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 27 2007, 18:09

@ Alan: :laugh: :D :laugh:

@ Holger... manly?? Oh my God. Baroque music is all-but manly... :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: July 27 2007, 18:33

Hi, below is Wickipedia`s meaning of Musica Universalis. Dont you just think this is very MO!!!

"Musica universalis (lit. universal music, or music of the spheres) is an ancient philosophical concept that regards proportions in the movements of celestial bodies — the Sun, Moon, and planets — as a form of musica (the Medieval Latin name for music). This 'music' is not literally audible, but simply a harmonic and/or mathematical concept. The Greek mathematician and astronomer Pythagoras is frequently credited with originating the concept, which stemmed from his semi-mystical, semi-mathematical philosophy and its associated system of numerology of Pythagoreanism. According to Johannes Kepler, the connection between geometry (and sacred geometry), cosmology, astrology, harmonics, and music is through musica universalis.
At the time, the Sun, Moon, and planets were thought to revolve around Earth in their proper spheres. The most thorough and imaginative description of the concept can be found in Dante's Divine Comedy. The spheres were thought to be related by the whole-number ratios of pure musical intervals, creating musical harmony. Johannes Kepler used the concept of the music of the spheres in his Harmonice Mundi in 1619, relating astrology (especially the astrological aspects) and harmonics."

(Quoted from Wickipedia)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 28 2007, 08:53

From Wikipedia:

Empyrean (disambiguation)
Empyrean can mean several things :

¤ In Christian theology, the Empyrean (also called the heavenly rose, or the mind of God) is the name of the highest heaven.
¤ In Paradiso, the final book of The Divine Comedy, the Empyrean, based on the above, is the abode of God.
¤ In Asheron's Call, Empyrean refers to a race of highly intelligent humanoid beings inhabiting the planet Auberean.
¤ In Digital Devil Saga, Empyrean Halo is a powerful attack spell, the name referring to the heavenly rose in The Divine Comedy.
¤ Empyrean Brewing Company is a brewery located in Lincoln, Nebraska.
¤ In Warhammer 40,000 it is another name for the Immaterium.
¤ Empyrean Records is an indie record label out of Rhode Island.

Empyrean, from the Medieval Latin empyreus, an adaptation of the Ancient Greek, "in or on the fire (pyr)",
properly Empyrean Heaven, is the place in the highest heaven, which in ancient cosmologies was supposed
to be occupied by the element of fire (or aether in Aristotle's natural philosophy).

Use in literature
The Empyrean was thus used as a name for the firmament, and in Christian literature, notably the Divine Comedy, for the dwelling-place of God and the blessed, and as the source of light. The word is used both as a substantive and as an adjective. Having the same Greek origin are the scientific words empyreuma and empyreumatic, applied to the characteristic smell of burning or charring vegetable or animal matter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A "harbinger" is a sign of things to come.
In the Biblical sense, Prophecy.

"Animus"
- A character from the Doctor Who serial.
- Basic attitude or animating spirit; disposition; intention.
- A feeling of ill will; animosity.

:O  ;)

"Shabda" anyone??  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: July 28 2007, 11:28

About Shabda, from Wikipedia

In Indian linguistics
Katyayana stated that shabda "speech" is eternal (nitya), as is artha "meaning", and their mutual relation. According to Patanjali, sphoṭa ("meaning") is not identical with shabda, but rather its permanent aspect, while dhvani "sound, acoustics" is its ephemereal aspect.

Bhartrihari on the other hand held a shabda-advaita position, identifying shabda as indivisible, unifying cognition and linguistic performance, ultimately identical with Brahman. Bhartrhari recognizes two entities, both of which may be called shabda, one is the underlying cause of the articulated sounds, while the other is used to express the meaning. Bhartrhari thus rejects the difference posited by logicians between the ontological and the linguistic.  His concept of shabda-brahman identifying linguistic performance and creation itself has parallels in the Greek concept of logos.

Language philosophy in Medieval India was dominated by the dispute of the "naturalists" of the Mimamsa school, notably defended by Kumarila, who held that shabda designates the acutal phonetic utterance, and the Sphota school, defended by Mandana Mishra, who identified spotha and shabda as a mystical "indivisible word-whole".

In Esotericism
Esoterically, Shabd is the “Sound Current vibrating in all creation. It can be heard by the inner ears.” [1] Variously referred to as the Audible Life Stream, Inner Sound, Sound Current or Word in English, the Shabd is the esoteric essence of God which is available to all human beings, according to the Shabd path teachings of Eckankar, the Quan Yin Method, Sant Mat and Surat Shabd Yoga.

Adherents believe that a Satguru, or Eck Master, who is a human being, has merged with the Shabd in such a manner that he or she is a living manifestation of it at its highest level (the “Word made flesh”). However, not only can the Satguru attain this, but all human beings are inherently privileged in this way. Indeed, in Sant Mat the raison d’être for the human form is to meditate on the Sound Current, and in so doing merge with it until one’s own divinity is ultimately realized.

Referring to the Shabd, Sant Kirpal Singh, a contemporary Sant Mat guru, stated that "Naam" ("Word") has been described in many traditions through the use of several different terms. In his teachings [2], the following expressions are interpreted as being identical to "Naam":

"Naad", "Akash Bani", and "Sruti" in the Vedas
"Nada" and "Udgit" in the Upanishads
"Logos" and "Word" in the New Testament
"Tao" by Lao Zi
"Music of the Spheres" by Pythagoras
"Sraosha" by Zoraster
"Kalma" and "Kalam-i-Qadim" in the Qur'an
"Naam", "Akhand Kirtan" and "Sacha ('True';) Shabd" by Guru Granth Sahib

It seems this is going to be an album with a quite important philosopical load. The truth is all I've known so far about it sounds good. The way he's conceived it, the instruments he's used on its recording, the length, what we may guess about its concept for the title and tracklisting...  However, I think this time I'd rather not listen to any bit before its release, so it leaves me without breath the first time I listen to it.

Thanks so much to Korgscrew and tubular.net for all the info. It's good to see u back with good news :)

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: July 28 2007, 14:02

Quote (maria @ July 28 2007, 11:28)
However, I think this time I'd rather not listen to any bit before its release, so it leaves me without breath the first time I listen to it.

I totally agree with you here Maria. I felt the same about Light & Shade, but it is incredibly difficult to avoid any previews (don't think that's the right word there). To hear it for the very first time will be like drawing the curtains at dawn one winter's day to find snow has fallen and changed the landscape perfectly and beautifully for a brief time. Can't wait, really can't wait.

The bit about esotericism you quoted really hit the nail on the head for me. I'm guessing that's what is behind this piece, it sounds very 'Mike'. The whole album does too, he has a certain way of considering a subject. Sounds as if the record company or whoever it is, have really allowed him his freedom. This should pay off. And there'll be heaps to talk about after it's release. Suddenly the winter doesn't look so dark!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 29 2007, 04:45

Hi all

It would SEEM that the german fan site www.oldfield.de has a track by track description of the new album on their forum pages :-

www.oldfield-forum.de/thread.php?threadid=2378&threadview=0&hilight=&hilightuser=0&page=4

Using babelfish translator it seems to indicate the new album is wonderful !!!  ...BUT I'M NOT CERTAIN ! BABELFISH IS FRUSTRATINGLY BAD AT TRANSLATING ! WOULD A KIND GERMAN FAN CONFIRM THIS ...EVEN PROVIDE A PROPER ENGLISH TRANSLATION PLEASE !!

In german :-

Boah, das neue Album ist der Hammer            

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Harbinger - 04.08
Das Hörerlebnis beginnt. Sanft beginnen die Geigen, stoppen und beginnen wieder, stoppen und spielen melodischer nochmals. Das ganze beginnt sich zu steigern. Eine Stimme singt im Hintergrund, den Text kann man nicht verstehen, es ist ein daaaaaadiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaa, so in etwa, weitere Instrumente setzen ein, Oboe, Klarinette, Klavier. Sehr melodisch, es geht ins Ohr und dann kommt die Akustik Gitarre. Virtuos gespielt. Wow, unglaublich, nach Light & Shade. Das ganze geht über in

2. Animus - 03.09 Nach fulminantem Start geht es jetzt wieder ruhiger zu. Ein gregorianischer Männerchor setzt ein (ein klein wenig wie bei TSODE). Geigen und Gitarre kommen aus dem Hintergrund hervor und runden das ganze ab. Sehr schön

3. Silhouette - 3.19
geht es über in den nächsten Titel. Und wie der Name bereits andeutet, die beiden ersten Stücke schimmern wie eine Silhouette wieder durch, werden aber durch eine neue Melodie ersetzt. Unglaublich, dass Oldfield sowas noch drauf hat. Man hat den Eindruck, die Harmonien, die Musik schimmert, ich kann es nicht genau beschreiben

4. Shabda - 4.00
und damit geht es in einen etwas orientalisch anmutenden Abschnitt. Sehr schön die leisen Pauken im Hintergrund (etwas Orabidoo kommt auf). Eine wunderschöne Melodie durch das gesamte Orchester, etwas mystisches wird zelebriert.

5. The Tempest - 5.48
Jetzt hat alles ein Ende. Mit Pauken und Trompeten geht es los. Man hat den Eindruck, ein Sturm mit heftigem Gewitter zieht heran. Mehrere Akustik Gitarren spielen versetzt, ergänzen sich und lösen sich wieder auf, während das Blasorchester jetzt groß auffährt und am Schluss von den Geigen eingefangen und zur Räson gebracht werden.

6. Harbinger (reprise) - 1.30 Wie zu beginn. Die Geigen sind wieder da. Stoppen, beginnen, stoppen, spielen Ihre sanfte ruhige Harmonie und die Stimme im Hintergrund wird jetzt stärker 7. On My Heart - 2.27 Featuring Hayley Westenra
und ist jetzt vor den Geigen. Eine sehr schöne Frauenstimme singt klar und deutlich eine ans Herz gehende Sonate. Boah, was für ein fulminanter Erster Teil. Ich zittere, meine Wangen sind feucht, ich bin hin und weg. Das war schon lange nicht mehr der Fall bei einem neuen Album.

Part 2 8. Aurora - 03.42
Nach dem der erste Part fantastisch war, startet Aurora. Man hat den Eindruck am Hafen zu stehen und einem großen Schiff bei auslaufen zuzusehen. Das Kontrabass beginnt seine langgezogenen Wellen auszubreiten. Die Geigen stimmen mit ein, die Trompeter sind gefordert, das Schiff läuft aus.

9. Prophecy - 02.54
Etwas bahnt sich an. Das Orchester ist ruhiger geworden. Zwei Gitarren beginnen Ihr Spiel. Sehr melodisch und ernst. Die Erste Geige beginnt die Gitarren zu begleiten

10. On My Heart (reprise) - 01.16
und die Frauenstimme beginnt nochmals Ihr Lied, diesmal in einer etwas anderen Notenfolge, aber wieder sehr ergreifend.

11. Harmonia Mudi - 03.46
Man hat das Gefühl, dass man in eine neue Welt aufbricht. Wie der Titel klingt alles sehr Harmonisch und ausgelassen. Das Orchester spielt befreit auf, die Trompeten spielen ein wenig (naja, James Last) und das Orchester fordert zum Tanzen auf. Herr Oldfield, woher nimmst Du deine Inspiration? Klasse!

12. The Other Side - 01.28
Hoppla, ein Bruch, die Pauken sind da. Erst harte Schläge, dann werden sie weich und ein Lücke öffnet sich. Eine bezaubernde Melodie, erinnert an Silhouette fängt einen ein und offenbart das was wir glauben, aber nicht wissen

13. Empyrean - 01.37
und gleitet in den vorletzten Titel über. Man merkt kaum, dass ein neues Stück begonnen hat. Kaum hat man sich darauf eingestellt, ist es auch schon wieder vorbei. Und

14. Musica Universalis - 06.24
gleitet in das Finale über. Die Gitarre ist da, mehrmals sogar, das gesamte Orchester spielt auf. Die Pauken und Trompeten sind mit von der Partie. Boah, was für ein grandioses Finale. Da möchte man am liebsten Dirigent sein und vorne den Taktstock schwingen. Aber ich glaube, danach ist man 4 Pfund leichter, das kostet viel Energie. Herrlich, einfach unbeschreiblich was uns Herr Oldfield mit diesem Album beschert hat. Das hat was für die Ewigkeit. Und naja, träumen darf man ja mal… Vorfreude ist die schönste Freude. Und sollte es tatsächlich wie St. Mount Michel werden. Naja, das nächste Album kommt bestimmt (hoffentlich) J

Regards

Neil  :)
Profile PM 
110 replies since July 23 2007, 09:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net