Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music Of The Spheres tracklisting< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 01 2007, 19:03

Mike's personal marketing and the marketing strategies to promote him more...no comments at all!

Ok,Mike Oldfield = Tubular Bells for the listeners of Classic FM,but they forgot to tell about Mike's connections with David Bedford (Orchestral TB and on several DB recordings).

Come on,wake up!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 01 2007, 21:24

Quote (pipetune @ Aug. 01 2007, 22:19)
Personally I find M.O so disappointing to support. We wait all this time with next to no news and then when we do it’s……………….45mins 30sec!! I’m sorry but that is short. :(

have you ever thought about the short album Ommadawn?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 03:30

Do we Class Music of the Spheres as the 1st MO Classic Album or is   Orchestral TB1 the  1st... Not sure how you define a Classical Record...  I guess anything thats playable by a full orchestra is Fair Game to be classed as such...Maybe with MOTs the main diff is its going to be out on its own by a long Chalk from the rest of the MO Discography... :cool:
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 04:44

Quote (pipetune @ Aug. 01 2007, 16:19)
Personally I find M.O so disappointing to support. We wait all this time with next to no news and then when we do it’s……………….45mins 30sec!! I’m sorry but that is short. :(

Aren't a lot of Mike's albums not around 45-50 mins long? Certainly a lot of his good ones are. I'd rather have 45 mins of amazing music rather than 2 CD's worth of Light and Shade type stuff.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 07:43

Quote (Deadcalm @ Aug. 02 2007, 08:30)
Do we Class Music of the Spheres as the 1st MO Classic Album or is   Orchestral TB1 the  1st... Not sure how you define a Classical Record...  

Shouldnt Incantations be classed as a classical album, much of it was recorded with an orchestra?  :/

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 08:27

I think it's unfair to comment on 45 minutes being too short! What more do people want?! I'm personally very excited at the prospect of a new album, in a new style, but that also goes back to a similar approach to his early works.

I would rather have a shorter album of amazing music than over an hour of something of inconsistent quality or something that's too long I never get time to play it all.

I'm sure Tubular Bells and Ommadawn are not much more than 45 minutes in total. I think it's the perfect length for an album... so many fantastic and hugely successful albums by so many artists, have been short - ie 40-45 mins.

So much work can go into making even the shortest piece of music, and Mike deserves that appreciation!

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 09:11

Quote (pipetune @ Aug. 01 2007, 22:19)
45mins 30sec!! I’m sorry but that is short. :(

Well, to clarify the matter, here are the exact lengths of almost all albums by Mike:

Ommadawn 36:34
Crises 37:08
Platinum 37:32
The Killing Fields 38:12
QE2 39:41
Hergest Ridge 40:07
Earth Moving 41:15
Guitars 42:29
Heaven's Open 43:00
The Millennium Bell 44:52
Music of the Spheres 45:30
Tubular Bells III 46:31
Islands 47:58
Tubular Bells 48:43
Five Miles Out 49:54
The Orchestral Tubular Bells 50:58
The Songs Of Distant Earth 55:36
Tres Lunas 58:05
Voyager 58:13
Tubular Bells II 58:30
Amarok 60:01
Incantations 72:46
Light + Shade 81:54

So as you can see it's quite a normal length in Oldfieldian standards. :) Though, he might have spoilt us with that extreme length of Light + Shade. ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 09:34

Quote (Ratty @ Aug. 02 2007, 13:43)
Shouldnt Incantations be classed as a classical album, much of it was recorded with an orchestra?  :/

@ Deadcalm & Ratty: in the past, music was defined by the period in which it was composed, so the proper definition of 'classical music' should only apply to pieces composed either in the 1400s or the 1800s, two eras commonly termed as 'classical'. But this kind of labelling is a bit changed in recent times with all the Russians like Stravinsky, Prokofiev, etc. and many other people composing music in a 'classical' style using only the traditional instrumentation (strings, woodwind, brass [no saxophones!], timpani, cymbals, bass drums, snares, triangles) of the classical orchestra, as estabilished by 1800s composers such as Beethoven or Wagner. So, nowadays, the definition of 'classical music' depends pretty much on what kinds of instruments it's written for, and usually the use of electric instruments is strictly forbidden in the classical style - that's why Incantantions can't really be labelled as 'classical' IMHO, while OTB certainly can. Much of Karl Jenkins' work with Adiemus is indeed classical, and a  M.O. piece like Like Constance, which features only 'classical guitar' [here we go again!! :D] and strings, is also classical.

Regarding Baroque and roll, Abaroque and everything else like that, I wouldn't be really surprised to hear M.O. venture into the baroque territory, of course putting his own footprints in it. :) I only hope it won't degenerate into something like Doge's Palace Part II. :D

About the supposed 'shortness' of MotS: Enya's A day without rain is 37 minutes 35 seconds and it's great - one more minute of music would have spoiled it. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Martina Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 11:26

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 02 2007, 15:34)
that's why Incantantions can't really be labelled as 'classical' IMHO, while OTB certainly can.

Well, there actually is one electric guitar bit in the OTB, so it can't be considered particularly classical :p On the other hand I've always thought that this album is more David Bedford than Mike Oldfield. From that album I really like just the guitar finale, the rest of the album seems to be a bit blurred compared to the original and I always wondered why it was recorded so strictly orchestral. (Now, having read Changeling, I wonder no more :) ). Hopefully MOTS is not going to suffer from the same drawback.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 12:07

The use of electric or electronic instruments doesn't disqualify a piece of music as being "classical" (in the looser sense - in the strictest sense, as Ugo has pointed out, only European art music from roughly 1750 to 1810 is "classical"). Classical composers have done it before. For example, Olivier Messiaen loved the Ondes Martenot, and wrote for it quite a bit, as did other composers. Karlheinz Stockhausen has written loads of purely electronic music, and has also used the electric guitar in some pieces.
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 15:57

Hmm...yeah, having the total length of all the MOldfield albums right infront of me I must agree that I have maybe exaggerated a bit about that.  :p But still...a Mike Oldfield album just can't be too long. I just don't see how that can be even aestheticly possible to achieve? If you're watching a very nice movie that is 2 hours long, do you complain about that? I think many of those Lord Of The Rings or Starwars die hard fans didn't even care if they were 3 hours or beyond. ;)
However a pefect time for me is an 1 hour album...that's it. Why two discs if it's just over 45 minutes when 1 hour Amarok fits perfectly on one single plate?? Perhaps only time will tell.
If now Mike has happen to connect the tracks in the same glorious and brilliant way as f.i. TSODE or TB III I think this album actually ought to have a good potential to be one of his best ever...just wait and see, wait...and listen.   ;) :cool:

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 16:35

Quote (Velodynamic @ Aug. 02 2007, 21:57)
Why two discs if it's just over 45 minutes when 1 hour Amarok fits perfectly on one single plate??

It's just one disc, with the tracks grouped into two larger parts.
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 16:46

Quote (Holger @ Aug. 02 2007, 22:35)
Quote (Velodynamic @ Aug. 02 2007, 21:57)
Why two discs if it's just over 45 minutes when 1 hour Amarok fits perfectly on one single plate??

It's just one disc, with the tracks grouped into two larger parts.

Oh darn (oohbz..) yes, it seems quite clear to me aswell now. It's just that I heard from a much earlier interview Mike mentioned something about a double disc and I think I became somewhat obsessed by that thought...sorry for the mistake.   :)

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 19:32

@ Holger:As far as I know, music that's generated only with electronic instruments is usally referred to as 'electronic music' and not as 'classical music', as it is commonly considered a sub-genre of classical music. :D So people like Jean Michel Jarre and Wendy (Walter?) Carlos, as well as some Vangelis stuff, can easily be grouped into this sub-genre, which isn't really 'classical' but it's not pop or rock or jazz either. ;) I'm not sure where does the Ondes Martenot (which is a Theremin-like early synth) actually fit in... the Theremin is usually considered (at least here in Italy) a 'pop' instrument. :)

Also, according to one Encyclopedia of Music I've got, the era from 1400 to 1600, and the music written in that era, was the first to be called 'classical'. Then there was the baroque era, and the term 'classical' came back into use just after Mozart composed his latest works.

--------------
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 02 2007, 22:05

Quote (EeToN @ Aug. 02 2007, 23:11)
Well, to clarify the matter, here are the exact lengths of almost all albums by Mike:

Music of the Spheres 45:30

I like the way MOTS is right in the middle!  :D

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Jeremy Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 05:07

7.   On My Heart - 02.27 Featuring Hayley Westenra

I might be wrong, but I think this is the first time Mike has collaborated with a Kiwi (New Zealand) artist. There I was, busy practising the spoons, and Hayley steals the show from under me feet! I'm sure if Mike had heard my rendition of "Bridge over Troubled Waters" things would have been different.

--------------
How can they NOT like my music!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 05:24

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 03 2007, 01:32)
@ Holger:As far as I know, music that's generated only with electronic instruments is usally referred to as 'electronic music' and not as 'classical music', as it is commonly considered a sub-genre of classical music. :D

It is a "subgenre" of classical music in the same way that orchestral music, chamber music, or opera are.

Wendy (Walter?) Carlos

It's Wendy Carlos.

the Theremin is usually considered (at least here in Italy) a 'pop' instrument.

From Wikipedia: "Classical composers who have written for theremin include Bohuslav Martinů, Dmitri Shostakovich, Percy Grainger, Christian Wolff, Mortimer Browning, Anis Fuleihan, Joseph Schillinger, David Simons, Mark Steven Brooks, Olga Bochihina, Caspar Johannes Walter, Alan Hovaness, Edgar Varese, Nicolaus Richter de Vroe, Michael Hirsch, Juliane Klein, Vladimir Nikolaev, Moritz Eggert, Iraida Yusupova, Robert C. Ehle, John Haussermann, Friedrich Wilckens, Isidor Achron, Jorge Antunes, and Vladimir Komarov."

Also, according to one Encyclopedia of Music I've got, the era from 1400 to 1600, and the music written in that era, was the first to be called 'classical'.

As far as I know, that era is commonly referred to as the "renaissance" period these days. It's possible that people called it "classical" back then though.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 12:01

@ Holger: congrats for all your detailed research. I admit I was wrong. :) However [I know this is a touchy subject so I'm just putting a quick comment...], didn't Wendy Carlos used to be Walter when she (he?) composed the Clockwork Orange soundtrack? :)

Oh, what a fool am I. Wikipedia does have the answer... as always. :p

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2007, 18:33

Quote (Sweatpea @ July 31 2007, 14:50)
Bee, I find it odd to hear of TB2003 having silences between the tracks. I vaguely recall something similar on a non-MO album some years ago until I adjusted the playback preferences. Since I've never encountered that problem again, and TB2003 flows perfectly for me, I'm inclined to lay the blame on your player or player software.  :/

Sweetpea, thankyou for pointing that out. Very stupidly I said the wrong thing. I've been listening to my ipod a lot lately & on there I do hear tiny pauses ( I will look into this because it's just not right & I must be able to correct t somehow) but on my cd player,....'tis just fine! :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2007, 14:42

Last wednesday I saw at a local magazine shop here the Classic FM magazine...readers in the UK should have a look if there's any type of info about MOTS there!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
110 replies since July 23 2007, 09:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net