Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music Of The Spheres tracklisting< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
szhunor Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 05 2007, 08:06

I don't understand, why classical instruments only. I'm afraid of that, it won't be unique, just like an everyday movie soundtrack. I am angry with Mike because of him latest works. But I will be as mad I bought it, and I can't put it into my old CD box...
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 08:49

Another album of dance inspired tunes or typical Oldfield guitar would simply be boring.

This is something new for Mike. And it's the style of music that inspired him in the very first place all those years ago.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2007, 15:26

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 23 2007, 09:00)
The album will be released on CD and also - for the very first time for a classical recording - on USB flash drive.

Please excuse me for asking this, I am trying to keep up,  but what is this flash drive thing? Is it one of those little stick things that my boys put their homework on? What will the artwork be like on them? I wear glasses now, am I going to need to use a magnifying glass too? Does it mean that there will be a new rack of USB drives to view in music stores? Does this mean that, should I choose to buy one, I will be needing yet another shelf of the right size on which to organise them ~ I'm guessing they're smaller than cds which makes it highly likely that I'll lose them.

Despite having an ipod (love my ipod) I don't download that much music, preferring as I do, to own a physical copy cd/vinyl then laboriously tranfering it over. I know, I know it's just the way I am! I like to know that it's there somewhere in three dimensions that's all.

Also, any idea of prices of those things, how will they compare to a cd for example?

And I still prefer the old LPs, but I will admit to being a bit interested in this idea!

Thanks in advance to any technically minded knowledgable people

bee :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 19 2007, 16:42

bee - Yep, as far as I know a flash drive is indeed one of those stick things.  But they are really small so I really don't know what they'll have on them artwork-wise.  Maybe they'll be the album artwork equivalent of having your name written on a grain of rice!

But I'm the same with buying music on cd then putting it onto my mp3 player.  Downloading just isn't the same as having the actual thing in your hand.
:)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 04:11

Thanks for that Ebony, I guess we'll have to wait & see. I did look on Amazon to see if there were any to look at. I must admit I'm very curious. I do hope they are going to be careful about the packaging & think about resources etc. I can't stand opening those sealed up plastic packs that most small/general electronic paraphenalia seems to be presented in. Perhaps it will be more like the old audio cassette boxes, redesigned and contemporary. And hopefully there will be an improvement on the standard cd cases we have now.  They are not that good IMO, the centres of them are often damaged when they arrive in the post. But they do sit nicely on a shelf  & are easy to read end on, if a little small!

I did notice further into this thread, that Sweatpea ( can I please call you Sweet pea ? ) had asked a similar question and answers were given. I just did not see it first time round, sorry!

bee

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 07:13

Quote (bee @ Aug. 20 2007, 04:11)
can I please call you Sweet pea ?

bee, I am perfectly happy with either "Sweatpea" or "Sweetpea". I will probably even answer to "Sweetiepie" and "Sweatpants". But I draw the line at "Sweet-thing".

I too am intrigued with the flash drive option. I thought I had already gotten to the point of 'enough with all this newfangled technology and itty-bitty gadgets' but since it's MOTS, at the very least it'll make a nice addition to the MO shrine.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 08:04

Quote (Sweatpea @ Aug. 20 2007, 07:13)
at the very least it'll make a nice addition to the MO shrine.

Absolutely!

I could call you Lathyrus odoratus ( Latin for the beautiful highly scented little flowers sweet peas ) but odoratus links back to the Sweat bit again, so how about 'Pea'?!! Only joking!

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 16:49

The flash drive is, as Ebony and bee have already guessed, exactly the same kind of thing you might store your files on already.

It probably won't have any artwork in the traditional sense, but will probably have some kind of decorative design on it and could even be in a novel shape. The White Stripes did some nice ones, but thanks to the fact they were produced in limited numbers, they were fairly expensive (that $99 is for a set of two, that would work out at about £25/€37 each...only £6 more than Tubular Bells 2003...). It may also contain videos and other things which aren't available elsewhere.

The packaging will most likely be nothing more than a blister pack type thing - i.e. just for displaying it in the shop. Of course they could do all sorts of things...a beautiful hand crafted, velvet lined presentation box in exotic hardwoods, for example. I just bet they won't. The blister pack appears to be how the Barenaked Ladies drive is packaged. It'll probably have all the artwork and sleeve notes in electronic format instead.
Of course it could be that the drive will be crafted from 100 year old yak's milk cheese, packaged in a 'recycled' pair of tights and will contain an alternate version of the album performed by Jake Oldfield on a plastic ukulele, all presented to you in glorious 8 bit monophonic sound...we've been told nothing about what the flash drive version will be like (in fact, we were actually just told it would be released on USB - it took a bit of head scratching to work out what they meant), despite having asked, so I'm just trying to make sensible guesses.

What to do with them once you have a collection of them is a very good question (though if the yak's cheese isn't hard and dry after 100 years, keeping them in the fridge may be wise). I suppose there are so few available at the moment, nobody has considered what happens when somebody owns more than 2 or 3. The ones that have a loop for going on keyrings could be hung on small hooks, of course...the rest...I guess they'll just have to be piled in a drawer. I imagine that the idea is that you just use it once to copy all the files to your computer then put it somewhere you'll never find it again (I would say somewhere safe, but we all know that means exactly the same thing).

By the way, Sweatpea...we can change your nick if you want...
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 20 2007, 17:21

I imagine that the idea is that you just use it once to copy all the files to your computer then put it somewhere you'll never find it again (I would say somewhere safe, but we all know that means exactly the same thing).

Heheheheheh!! How true is that!   :D  :D  :D

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2007, 12:20

Thankyou Korgscrew for that info, it was just what I wanted to know. The links were particularly useful as we now have something in our minds, some kind of idea anyway, before Mike's release of MotS. I thought the White Stripes ones were very good actually, I like their image of red white & black, it works very well.

Not so sure about the yak's milk cheese or the tights :/

P.S  The last 4 letters of your name ~crew~ are really nice to type, I'd never noticed that before!

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 18:38

Quote (Velodynamic @ July 25 2007, 18:32)
Yeah...what would suite a symphonic orchestral album better then a good old classic vinyl with its warm and natural sound?

Warm yes, natural no. The CD is technically closer to the truth. The warmth of vinyl is due to its inaccuracy. ;)

I'm just getting picky...

About the USB flash drive, I see more and more compact audio systems (and car systems as well) with an USB connection for such things. But I wonder what will happen to those "drives" in 5 or 6 years... Will it remain a standard? I doubt it.
Profile PM 
110 replies since July 23 2007, 09:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net