Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres tops the UK classical chart!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 06 2008, 14:47

I've just seen that MOTS is now at #24 on the UK charts...droping,droping,droping....

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: April 06 2008, 14:53

yes, but that's very respectable after 3 wks- albums like Bryan Adams (released the same week as MO) has fallen to like no.39. MOTS will have done another 10k this week so it's all a million miles from Light & Shade. This has been a 'successful' album!
Profile PM 

Posted: April 10 2008, 07:50

From Mike Oldfield.com:

Chart News - 09/04/08

'Music of the Spheres' saw Mike Oldfield return to the top of the UK charts - after thirty-four years. The album, which was recently premiered in Bilbao, has topped the UK classical charts since the week of its release.

Mike is overjoyed at the success of his new venture. ‘It feels great to be back at number one after all these years - I'm glad I can still hold my own in the charts. And as this year I regain the rights to Tubular Bells, it feels like I've started a new chapter in my career.'

YEAH MIKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE \o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Unregistered

Posted: April 10 2008, 08:32

Last week MOTS was no 24 here in Denmark....now it´s out of top 40 albums   :(

But hey..they still have Whitney Houston collection... :/

I hate this country  :(
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 09:40

I Walked into WHSmiths today... Its still at NO12 in there Charts.. Same as Last Week .. Maybe a tad Higher.. Not sure if it reflects on anything but WH Smiths get Loads of People in there in the UK...   Leona has popped back in at 5 on there List.. REM & Duffy up front.. Pretty good going still though.. A Record I predicted to Sell Truck Loads Last year continues to Sell as Well MIka "Life in Cartoon Motion" its Been Hanging around for an astoundingly long period.. So no reason MOTS may Ebb and flow in and out of top 20 depending on the current releases out in the coming weeks or hopefully Months... :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 10 2008, 13:31

Would it be possible that a #19 touches 1,000 people and a #21 touches 10,000, because of "current releases"? Or being in the charts gives you so much exposure that being #21 is catastrophic?
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 13:54

Ive heard it said being 51 is Catastrophic for a New Release !! Specialy if youre a Smaller Label Artist.. I think the Supermarket Chains look at the Top 50 .. then after that its a lottery if they decide to Stock it !!.. :/

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 14:16

And still, here in The Netherlands they've never heard of MOTS at all..... :(

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 16:22

cooo, Mike  now owns the right's for Tubular bells, I hope he releases it again...................

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 17:00

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ April 10 2008, 20:22)
cooo, Mike  now owns the right's for Tubular bells, I hope he releases it again...................

Now there's a good idea!

I noticed MOTS was no 17 in Tesco's chart a couple of days ago.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: April 10 2008, 17:41

He could re-release it as a musical puzzle: a few seconds in random order released each day via his blog. And the real challenge will be the next album, something unreleased in random order. Not sure how it would work in the charts though. Some solutions would rank higher than others I guess. (Yes, there could be multiple solutions, different pieces could be connected in different ways.) Jean-"Me too" Jarre will have a much easier job to do a tricky puzzle with his "bips" though.
Profile PM 

Posted: April 13 2008, 14:38

Now MOTS is on #33 UK's General Charts...4th week on the list.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 22 2008, 17:39

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ April 13 2008, 19:38)
Now MOTS is on #33 UK's General Charts...4th week on the list.

Now at No. 48  in the general charts - Week 5

UK Album Chart
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: April 22 2008, 18:35

still in the spanish top twenty though. :)

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: April 28 2008, 12:08

Now at No. 64 - Week 6

Hanging in there ...    :)

UK Album Chart
Profile PM 
Fred Offline

Posted: April 30 2008, 16:26

I'm surprised to find these MOTS sales results at Amazon in the U.S.

#524 in Music
#1 in Music>Rock>Progressive>Electronic
#8 in Music>New Age
#9 in Music>Classical>Historical Periods

The mp3 download-able album shows similar (actually, better) stats.

I consider that quite good, all things considered.  Go, Mike.

--------------
[A]t some point it always occurs to [artists]... that they can do this one thing for the rest of their lives, they can be successful to the outside world but not... to themselves.  That's the moment an artist decides who he or she is. If they keep on risking failure, they're still artists. ~ S.Jobs
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: April 30 2008, 16:59

It used to be in the 100's in Music and #1 in the 3 other categories.
Profile PM 
Fred Offline

Posted: May 01 2008, 12:20

Quote (Olivier @ April 30 2008, 16:59)
It used to be in the 100's in Music and #1 in the 3 other categories.

That's good shootin'!

‘It feels great to be back at number one after all these years - I'm glad I can still hold my own in the charts... it feels like I've started a new chapter in my career.'

Well, that doesn't sound like a guy that's retiring from music.

--------------
[A]t some point it always occurs to [artists]... that they can do this one thing for the rest of their lives, they can be successful to the outside world but not... to themselves.  That's the moment an artist decides who he or she is. If they keep on risking failure, they're still artists. ~ S.Jobs
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: May 01 2008, 13:41

It's kind of disappointing that he only wrote about charts and career on his website. He could let Universal do press releases or mention the business stuff on their site and talk about art instead. My ideal mikeoldfield.com web site would be some sort of blog where he posts anecdotes about short samples, we could even dream of having people involved, like, I don't know, Tom Newman, or God forbid, Maggie Reilly, comment on them too. After a few years, it would be released as the book of a boxset designed by Hans.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 12:59

Quote (Olivier @ May 01 2008, 18:41)
It's kind of disappointing that he only wrote about charts and career on his website. He could let Universal do press releases or mention the business stuff on their site and talk about art instead.

That's Mike all right.

Back 25 years ago, during 'Crises', he was asked about how he now deals with stress and the pressures of fame. His reply ?  Paraphrased: "I don't get as stressed now as I used to. When I feel down I just look at the accounts"

Since his exegesis treatment, Mike seems to have monetary success as a priority over artistic endeavours, which is a pity.

His first trilogy of albums were composed in an entirely artistic
frame of mind, after that, with notable exceptions, success was the prime motivation.
Profile PM 
94 replies since Mar. 23 2008, 23:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net