Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres tops the UK classical chart!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pat Gleeson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 14:31

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 26 2008, 14:32)
MOTS in the charts:

#14 in Germany(best position in 10 years)

#37 in Switzerland

http://www.tubular-world.com/index.p....II.html

MOTS enters the Irish Chart at - wait for it - No. 87

:(

IRMA Irish Charts
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 17:01

Quote (B.BLUES @ Mar. 25 2008, 20:11)
This work is Mikes best since TB2. It has real soul and is not overly derivative of Tubular Bells. The general public obviously think so due to the sales figures alone.
I doub't Mike was bored when doing it. In fact, I think he is enjoying his new found freedom. His last amount of studio albums have been things of patchy delights.
This work has intergrity and depth. And the music is seriously catchy. My only criticism is that I'd like to hear more of his classical guitar. He is an amazing and entertaining player.
He is a fine guitarist and an excellent composer. This has been overshadowed by his studio wizardry. In recent years. There is no reason why Mike couldn't continue on this path.  
I really hope he doesn't retire. I'd like him to become like Philip Glass. He is after all, a true minimalist.
Lets hope he performs it a good few times in concert.
Also, I feel that TB, Hergest Ridge, Incantations are long overdue for a performance at Last Night Of the Proms. MOTS fits with that idea too.
I feel his work rates with ANY 20th century classical composer.

I agree with very much of this, basically all of it
Profile PM 
ronniethepict Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 17:59

Classic FM played the whole album last night at around 1015 pm
Profile PM 
ronniethepict Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 18:36

See Classic FM playlist here (choose 26th and time around 10 pm)

You can vote for the album
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 20:48

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ Mar. 27 2008, 14:31)
MOTS enters the Irish Chart at - wait for it - No. 87

:(

IRMA Irish Charts

Universal obviously forgot Ireland completely in their marketing plan - MotS is not even on sale in many music stores I've been in, in those that it IS on sale in it's been buried in the racks. It's gotten absolutely no airplay on Lyric FM (our classic FM), theres been no adverts or promo appearances... Very unusual for an album to be doing so well in the UK and so badly here...

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 21:31

Are you kidding?  Atleast in Ireland they managed to acknowledge the release.  Universal/Decca might as well have not released it in America!  They gave us a half assed version on iTunes and they haven't done any marketing at all... NONE!  There are times when I wish America would get a clue about music!!!!!!!  Wait... that's everyday!!!!!!!  We're too hung up on American Idol and Rap artists to take notice of anything worth listening!  Oh well... I'm going to change all this and the way music is distributed around the world... for everyone!  

I've been blasted on iTunes for blasting iTunes (under MoTs) for their lack of interest in making music distribution world wide.  They have the monopoly on digital music distribution and yet they haven't managed to work out something with the record companies.  hmmmmm sounds like they need to take more action.  The way I see it is iTunes is supporting a failed system of distribution.  And they wonder why pirating music is still at an all time high... hmmm let me think...

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

Cheers,
Chris
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 22:46

The other day after my last rant about iTunes and UM's non-existant "promo efforts" I briefly considered giving iTunes the gears about the live bonus tracks.  iTunes is now offering the album to it's Canadian customers, but it's still just the "US version"-no "Live At Bilbao".  That's when I figured I'd go to the source, and that's when I found MO was not even on their roster!

UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!

I sent them an e-mail-quite tersely worded, but I don't expect a response.  I WOULD EXPECT that big companies don't like it when you expose their ignorance.

Excuse me while I spend the rest of the evening gnawing my own foot off in exasperation.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 22:49

Sorry, I worded that badly.  I meant to say that I sent The e-mail to Universal Music.

"Universal".  What a joke.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 02:59

Quote (christopher @ Mar. 28 2008, 03:31)
Are you kidding?  Atleast in Ireland they managed to acknowledge the release.  Universal/Decca might as well have not released it in America!  They gave us a half assed version on iTunes and they haven't done any marketing at all... NONE!  There are times when I wish America would get a clue about music!!!!!!!  Wait... that's everyday!!!!!!!  We're too hung up on American Idol and Rap artists to take notice of anything worth listening!  Oh well... I'm going to change all this and the way music is distributed around the world... for everyone!

Last week I ordered a live cd of Jean Michel Jarre from the American Amazon (Houston - Lyon live cd), so it's an American release. What do I notice? They cut 4 tracks from the original album which I had previously (but it got damaged unfortunately). I totally get your point now Chris! It's totally frustating! Cheers!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 07:36

More Charts around the globe:

# 31 in Sweden
# 24 in Denamark
# 13 in Hungry
# 49 in Italia
# 9 in Billboard-Euro-Charts
#13 in the canadian classic charts

Source:
http://www.tubular-world.com/index.p....II.html

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 08:18

I was in HMV the other day and it's such a good feeling to actually see other people buying Mikes cd. I was so pleased to see HMV actually have Mike at no 7 in their overall chart!
I cant remember the last time i have seen Mike Oldfield advertised in so many places, cds stocked up in record shops and him doing so much publicity. Well done Mike.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 08:19

Number 9. in Europe!

http://allcharts.org/music/europe/albums.htm
Profile PM 
Taurus 4 Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2008, 13:09

It's certainly sticking in the amazon.co.uk Top 10.
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 04:41

Second week in the top 20 for MOTS - it's at no.13 this week- one of the only new releases from last week to only drop slightly- great news!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 31 2008, 19:27

It's number 5 on the bestsellers list of the Polish web store merlin.pl at the moment. It doesn't seem to have appeared in the top 50 on Poland's OLiS album chart though.

It's also currently number 1 in Amazon.com's electronic progressive rock category - how they decided it's electronic prog rock is anyone's guess!
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 00:52

FINALLY! I found MOTS tucked away (only one copy) in CD-RAMA, next to Michael Jackson. At least Singapore is not missed out :-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 01 2008, 11:46

On Amazon.com, also #1 in Classical/Historical Period (makes me feel good, we're living an historical moment apparently), and New Age (historical, and new at the same time, feeling even more privileged).
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 01 2008, 16:36

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 29 2008, 13:36)
# 49 in Italia
# 9 in Billboard-Euro-Charts
#13 in the canadian classic charts

Italy just doesn't appreciate instrumental-only music - MO or not MO, classical or non-classical - when it hasn't got a heavy dance beat underneath. :p

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: April 01 2008, 21:06

deadly quiet in norway. What a shame really..  :(

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: April 02 2008, 11:25

Quote (Tubularman @ April 02 2008, 03:06)
deadly quiet in norway. What a shame really..  :(

Same here! Shame on my country! :(

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
94 replies since Mar. 23 2008, 23:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net