Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres tops the UK classical chart!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Bassman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 05 2008, 16:53

... or what he personally considers to be the definition of success, anyway.

:/
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 05 2008, 18:00

If success to Mike means £££££ on his bank account,he would have made more mainstream albums than he has made on all those years.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 06 2008, 08:21

I've read that article and his tongue was firmly in his cheek.I agree he did some very commercial alnums but under sufference to try and please Branson.If monet was the only motivation he could have retired 20 years ago.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: May 06 2008, 10:09

I think it's the money as a measurement of popularity. Being successful seems important to him, as to most artists and most humans actually. It seems to me to be perhaps the only motivation behind some of his albums like Tres Lunas, but the inspiration seems much more complex for albums like Tubular Bells.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 06 2008, 10:26

All artists in any form want recognition and success.It's natural as you say.I'd also agree that some of his recent cd's have been a little flat (up to MOTS) but the first 3 albums were a product of a young man who was really messed up in a big way.There's a theory that when he 'got happy' after therapy in 78 that he lost his fire.Well Mike himself agrees with this in his book.People change and if i'd gotten through the time he'd gone through my music would be lighter and happier.I don't think this is anything financial cos he's always been well off (even after the 79 tour he wasn't actually near bankrupt as has been reported).
 Mike should do more press himself you're right.But sometimes he comes across to the (blinkered) press as an oddity from the 70's.Can't win really.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tayniee Offline

Posted: May 07 2008, 00:51

Quote (The Caveman @ May 06 2008, 10:26)
 Mike should do more press himself you're right.But sometimes he comes across to the (blinkered) press as an oddity from the 70's.Can't win really.

I suppose he comes across a bit 'intense' at interview,( ie on the Alan Titmarsh Show). I personally like his intensity but if he could lighten up a bit at interview he might dispel his own 'oddity from the 70s' impression.

--------------
As we all know, endings are just beginnings.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: May 07 2008, 22:50

I must say it baffles me that anyone in this day and age puts stock in "The Charts".  I know very well WHY people pay attention to them, but I think it's simply nonsense.  They can't really be trusted as an accurate gauge of success.  They are far too prone to manipulation and fakery.  Who needs 'em?  Honestly, who among us allows the charts to influence what we will spend our money on?

Oooh... Kylie's #1.  Gotta get it.

P.S.  I have nothing against Kylie.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 03:29

Never have,never will!In an ideal world people should be left to find music that moves them without bothering with the term 'popular'.Taste's a subjective thing but i firmly believe that some kids are only interested in what's in the charts as this must be the best thing around.Utter bull.My kids get a broad range of music thrown at them and none of them gives more than a cursory glance at what's in the charts.

--------------
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 09:34

Yes!  That's what I'm saying!  And it's the same with my son, too, Caveman.  In our house music is life to us.  No attention paid at all to what someone ELSE tells us we should be listening to.  How many pre-teens could say, "Dad, it sounds like the end of 'Excalibur' stole the music from 'The Ring'."?  All those that can think for themselves, that's who!

By the way, I meant "Excalibur" the movie-not the MO song.

:)  :)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 08 2008, 09:54

Very true!The sheep mentality should be wiped out.I don't think i've ever brought something that's considered 'cool' cos it's in the charts.If i like it i buy it.I grew up with great music via my Dad's record collection,and my daughters have inherited that from me.If music is a true form of expression what are the manufactured acts expressing other than 'buy this cos everyone else is'?

--------------
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 13:31

You guys I have a shocking confession to make- I still haven't listened to MOTS. The impression i'm getting is I don't think it's going to float my boat.  I don't have a ripple with music that is too classical or operatic.  Infact opera is like a cat screaming into my ears.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 13:53

Me too but MOTS really is beautifull and worth the effort.I really don't like opera at all.This though isn't reallty opera.I must admit i was a bit dubious of a Mike cd with no electric guitar but i was very happy to be proved wrong.It's a very rewarding cd.Treat yourself :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 04 2008, 13:55

Quote (Silver Negus @ June 04 2008, 18:31)
You guys I have a shocking confession to make- I still haven't listened to MOTS. The impression i'm getting is I don't think it's going to float my boat.  I don't have a ripple with music that is too classical or operatic.  Infact opera is like a cat screaming into my ears.

Hi Silver!

Maybe a bit of try before you buy would help. My favourite two tracks from the album currently appear on youtube with the only song on the album On My Heart being performed by Hayley Westenra on the Alan Titchmarsh show here and the gorgeous Harmonia Mundi being used as backing for a nice wee stroll down a country lane here.

Have a listen to those and then see if you still think it isn't going to float your boat!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 04 2008, 14:43

Quote (Matt @ June 04 2008, 13:55)
Quote (Silver Negus @ June 04 2008, 18:31)

Hi Silver!

Maybe a bit of try before you buy would help. My favourite two tracks from the album currently appear on youtube with the only song on the album On My Heart being performed by Hayley Westenra on the Alan Titchmarsh show here and the gorgeous Harmonia Mundi being used as backing for a nice wee stroll down a country lane here.

Have a listen to those and then see if you still think it isn't going to float your boat!

Well huni, I did listen to On My Heart but it makes me cringe in pain.  I still don't think it's the trademark of the Oldfield.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 04 2008, 16:09

Quote (Silver Negus @ June 04 2008, 9:43)
Well huni, I did listen to On My Heart but it makes me cringe in pain.  I still don't think it's the trademark of the Oldfield.

OK so On my heart didn't click - ehm, at all by the sounds of things!. How about Harmonia Mundi.? No warbling at all on that one, just gorgeous guitar playing by Mike amidst some fantastic melodies. Surely that one you'd like?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
94 replies since Mar. 23 2008, 23:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 4 [5] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net