Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres streams< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Legend Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 13:49

I can see that the overall opinion about MotS is very positive which of course is really great. Though I am very curious I can and will wait till november. Anyway I can´t help asking if all you positive guys and girls find MotS beautiful/emotionel in a way like ex. the picturesque Mont St. Michel or deeply touching like Lake Constance or Broad Sunlit Uplands??? (I love all 3 pieces!!;). Or is MotS totally different??
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 14:10

The quick answer would be its much better than Broad Sunlit Uplands and Lake Constance and the best stuff on it is above Mont St Michel though as a whole I wouldn't say it has any less of a sound track feel but maybe thats the point. Looked at as a whole its the best album containing the most consistently good well considered music he's written in a long long time, for me anyway. Musica Universalis would probably go straight into my top 10 fav pieces of music he's ever done, and after 34 years of making music thats pretty good going.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 14:17

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Sep. 09 2007, 19:31)

This topic is a totally shame !

Robing the music of Mike before the release of it !  

How can you call yourself , fans of Mike ?

i did that too, but i could not resist to download it. In front of me; i had to take it
But sure all Mo fans will buy it..
we have waited 2 years for this, and this is something new from Mike. I understand why people do it.
The most important is to buy it when the release is here.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
gary1eye Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 14:19

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Sep. 09 2007, 13:31)
How can you call yourself , fans of Mike ?

Well we do and we are fans of mike.

And for the record all of my collection of cd/dvd are GENUINE COPIES!!!!! :p
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 15:52

hm, i don't see how does it make me less of a fan when downloading that promo cd, more if anything  :zzz:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 16:20

Quote (Ratty @ Sep. 09 2007, 18:16)
Help!!! i seem to be missing out. I have heard the clips which were put onto Tubular.Net but some of you seem to have listened to the full album. Where can i get to hear it?

I understand that people want to hear the album as soon as they can. I can also understand the arguments which say that leaks like this can sometimes serve as good promotion for the album. I also realise that now it's out there, it's going to spread all over the place and there's really nothing anyone can do to stop that.

However, we are also attempting to keep the record company on our side, as our partnership with them up until now has, I feel, proved fruitful all round. We have discussed some potentially exciting ideas for the future, but they really are nothing more than ideas right now - very fragile things which could amount to nothing if people aren't in the right mood. I think it would be a great shame if that were to happen.

So please tread carefully here. Exchanging details on how to download the album for nothing two months before its release really isn't the kind of promotion they wanted us to help with! Of course it's a rather difficult situation, as the enthusiastic discussion is definitely a good thing, but as soon as someone mentions something which isn't on one of the official samples, someone else is naturally going to ask "Well where can I hear that one?"
We're of course going to have to do a bit of negotiating with Universal to find out what's going to keep them happy, but of course we want to make sure that we have something to keep the smiles on all of your faces too. For the moment, I'll say keep the discussion going, but please don't give details on where to download the album or offer to send it to anyone. I hope you'll understand, and I hope there will be interesting things to come in the future!
Profile PM 
north star Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 19:58

This whole downloading the Promo is a horrible situation that the music industry is fighting against......
I make my living from my music and downloading is REALY effecting my income and my ablity to make music full time......
You spend 2 years earning nothing making a CD ,then before you release it ,everybody is downloading it for free....
I know that a lot of people would buy the proper CD,but only about 50%
..IF your lucky....and its getting worse...
BUT   there is very little you can do...because you need to get it reviewed and build up a interest before it comes out...but it only takes one FOOL to upload it....thinking he's cool...BUT he is a theif....
BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Being a massive Mike Oldfield fan.....TEMPTATION cos you want to
soooooooooo hear the new Cd...got the better of me and I downloaded it and played ONE track.....and that was hard to stop at that....I then erased the file...mainly cos I want to hear it properly on CD....
SO....It a bloody mess and somebody has got to come up with a way of stopping it ....or music WILL BECOME totaly worthless and the next Mike Oldfield will not be able to afford to make music...cos everybody will expect it for FREE>>>>>>

P.s.
Re what Ive heard,
I have to also agree that it lacks a little soul.....Mike Oldfield once said that it was the way he plays the notes that convays the emotion...and that was what he hated when he 1st got players to perform Tubular Bells...no body could play the parts like him....It just lacks the PURE emotion you find in his playing...His electric guitar playing is still,for me what he is all about....as a performer and he seems to take a back seat on the album......BUT i have to wait till November to give it a chance.....?????
Profile PM 
sarujuu Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 21:07

Tubular Bells IV should be the name of Musics Of The Sphere. All the construction of MOTS make me remember of TB.
The best title is On My Heart.
It's not the best album of Mike Oldfield, but, since Millenium Bell, it's the best. Mike use a real instrument !

In my opinion, MOTS is passable because it's not really original. But some melody is beautifull : Shabda is too short because it's really beautifull, On My Heart is pure.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 03:41

North Star - Watch this interview with Peter Garbriel. Its a short excerpt from a much longer interview he did with the BBC earlier this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbRZCJkY6O4
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 06:02

I Guess all the New Upcoming Artists are going to have to Do more Live Gigs and Sell more Merchandise to Pay the Wages as the Free Download thing will make it hard for anyone to make A Great Income off CD Sales only...

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 08:04

I was recently told about the case of an Ondes Martenot player who has a CD with a fairly major classical label. He makes no money from CD sales at all - not because they don't sell, but because the record company doesn't pay him any royalties (which is, believe it or not, part of his contract). Why does he stay with them? Because they get his recording into all the major stores. Wherever he plays a concert, he knows the shops will be able to get hold of his CD; he sees it as good promotion. His income is from the concerts. I'm sure he's not the only one, so there are people working to that model already.

I think it would be a shame if it became no longer possible for mostly studio-based musicians like Mike to exist as professionals, though. I can't imagine albums like Amarok would ever exist had Mike been mostly concerned with preparing material for concerts. I suppose it would have led to more albums like QE2 and Five Miles Out, though. Still, I hope that the recording as an art form won't get lost.
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 10:53

Finally, after 8 listenings, I think the album is not so bad... there are great moments... but I still think this use of TB structures ( again! ) is a little bit silly... For me, the finale (Musica Universalis) definitely sucks...
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 12:57

I've heard it and it's brilliant....

This makes up for the past 8 years of electronic stuff (which was sometimes nice, sometimes painful).

Great melodies and feeling  :zzz:

Nice also to read all other opinions on it

Mike is Back :D

(heheh, and so am I  :p  )

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 14:16

I have also listened to it many times now and I like it, it's very good. Definitely the best album Mike has done in a long time. It didn't sound very good on first listening, but neither did Ommadawn, Amarok or other great works by Mike.
It has two parts, each over 20 minutes, and the music is flowing seamlessly from one theme to another. In that sense this is similar to those classic Mike Oldfield albums. Many themes appear more than once, just like in all Mike's classic albums.
I would say that from the musical point of view, Mike returns to his roots on this new album. However, it is different than any other album he has made, mainly because there are no electronic instruments or electric guitar at all, and most of the instruments are played by some other than Mike. Mike plays classical guitar beautifully and with emotion. Karl Jenkins' input can be heard clearly (on Shabda) as well as some Sibelius influences here and there. The only somewhat disturbing thing is - as someone already pointed out - that again Mike recycles some ideas from Tubular Bells. I think he has done that too many times already. I'm not saying it makes the music any worse but it might lead some people to think that Mike cannot do anything else but recycle Tubular bells.
I will definitely buy it when it comes out, and to those who have to wait until november... well I believe this album is worth waiting. Probably not the best album ever, but still excellent work. It shows that Mike has found the right path again and he still has a lot to offer if he just continues to follow that path.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 14:31

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Sep. 10 2007, 17:57)

This makes up for the past 8 years of electronic stuff (which was sometimes nice, sometimes painful).

Good to see you  :D  and welcome back  :p

Long may the continued reign of the Piltdownboy extend into the future!!!!

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 19:10

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Sep. 10 2007, 18:57)

hello Stefan :D
nice to see you here.
I also love the album and i don't care about the tb simular sounds.
What can i say? Just listen to Enigma and all will hear that all his albums have the same beginning.
It's a signatur  :cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2007, 21:20

Wow - I haven't checked in for a while because I've been so busy.  But tonight I said I'd better check because something new is bound to be there.  And sure enough, it was!

My first thought when listening to the snippets was that it sounds like a movie soundtrack - not necessarily a bad thing.  But those few seconds really don't mean much when you consider the lenght of the full album.

I am very excited about the new album and althought it won't be released for two more months, I know the time will fly by.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 07:51

The, erm, opposite to legal version of the full album sounds heavily clipped at some times. I assume and hope the real disc version is OK and it's just a side effect of the ripping.

I'll certainly buy the album when released. Some parts are a bit anonymous and cliche to me, but I like other parts a LOT. Especially the end of part one/ beginning of part 2.
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 08:10

I will definitely buy this album both CD and MS :D  (I usually buy all good albums and all albums by MO so even with bad album I would buy at least CD).  There several places where I could hear parts which one can hear in some previous MO works, but I love that and I have no issues with that.  Since this was promo CD leak there is always good chance final work will be slightly different which makes it even more fun.  In overall not much will change I assume so conclusion is that Mike is back with album everyone should get from the store.
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2007, 10:29

Yeah,
MotS is grand but one should know that too much will lead to space madness, which is even better. :cool:
Profile PM 
197 replies since Sep. 07 2007, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net