Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres streams< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
BeeNBee Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 05:27

After listening to the torrent network copy for a few times I can't wait to hear the proper album in decent quality! I spotted some bits from TB, Incantations and even Guitars which blended makes an incredible masterpiece!  :) I tell you people..this album is gonna be HUGE  ;)

--------------
" Michal Kochamy Cie! " - Katowice 1999
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 06:52

Sorry to be negative but I fear there may be something missing from this!  I think we all agree that Mike Oldfield is a great composer and musician.  There is a uniqueness in his music driven, in part, by the fact that he has not needed to rely on other musicians to interpret his work in the past – whether we’re listening to guitar, bass, keyboards or any other instrument, it’s usually easy to spot that it’s Oldfield playing. When everything is added together, we’re usually treated to something quite special.

However, compare The Orchestral Tubular Bells to the original!  Whilst I don’t think the general recording quality and instrumentation of the former is particularly good, it also suffers from a lack of Oldfield and I think that most of us would agree that there’s no comparison.  

I hope this album is good but, to use an analogy, I fear that it may have a similar effect to Picasso leading a group of artists in a painting by numbers session – he could have drawn the outline, planned the colours and done some of the painting; it would probably be a reasonable piece of art but almost certainly nowhere near as good as a piece of work he completed on his own.

I applaud Mr Oldfield for trying something genuinely new but will this be an album I will play on a regular basis as I still do with the original 3 and some of the others? Based on the previews I have heard, probably not.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 07:32

I know this album isn't out yet and I know there are people out there who think its naughty to download it early to have a listen prior to purchase. But I just want to get this off my chest since I have heard it early and want to counter the negative criticism there's been from those that have heard it too. The album is superb! Its tempting to say its a real return to form if only because its Mike's first album in donkeys that doesn't rely heavily on drum machine parts and heavily sequenced backing tracks to Mike's electric guitar. But the truth of the matter is there is some great music in MOTS creating some really nice atmospheres. Its his first album ,certainly since TSODE, that I can get seriously lost in. It keeps me wanting to go back to certain sections again not because I want to like it but because I do like it.  
Ok it doesn't have Mike's versatile instrumental input but then again what album by him has recently? I do miss his playing on it for sure but the music is unmistakably his and there is just enough of his acoustic guitar playing, which is sounding much more fluid here than on recent releases, to keep everyone happy. Its certainly more Mont St Michel than it is Incantations though.

I suppose there will be some fans who won't like it simply because they  find classical music boring (evidently thats the case going by some reactions to it) I guess some people may find the whole thing a bit derivative, there are a couple of bits where it either sounds very Tubular Bellsy or could be from any number of sound tracks. But there's also bits where Mike proves he's still got some great music in him that isn't trying to appease a younger generation.

On another note it did dawn on me when listening to this music that it's such a shame Mike had such a bad time doing the score to the Killing Fields because he would make a killing as a sound track composer. Then again I've always thought that anyway. I'm sure he'll probably get a flood of offers after MOTS comes out.
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 07:46

am  I the only one that can hear a false note at track nr 4 at 1:54.
The guitar slide is off
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 07:54

Quote (Nige @ Sep. 09 2007, 06:52)
Sorry to be negative but I fear there may be something missing from this!  I think we all agree that Mike Oldfield is a great composer and musician.  There is a uniqueness in his music driven, in part, by the fact that he has not needed to rely on other musicians to interpret his work in the past – whether we’re listening to guitar, bass, keyboards or any other instrument, it’s usually easy to spot that it’s Oldfield playing. When everything is added together, we’re usually treated to something quite special.

So disagree Nige with your first post but Mike has always relied heavily on other musicians interpreting his work. With the sole exception of Amarok all of Mike's best works in my opinion have had a lot of input from other players. Actually I would go so far as to say Mike's work is better when others bring there own style to his compositions. Look at Paddy Moloney's playing on Ommadawn or Simon Phillips input across a whole era in Mike's career. Mike's worked with a whole load of bass players and other musicians who have all brought something unique to his sound and the orchestra in MOTS is no different. Its only when Mike holes himself up in his studio with only a computer for musical accompaniment that he gets unstuck.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 07:58

It is 4:39am in the morning Los Angeles time and I have just finished listening to Music of the Sphere's in its entirety, start to finish.  There is only one word that can describe this album...

PERFECT!

PS. I ordered my copy from Amazon.co.uk three weeks ago!  I will be ordering more copies between now and Christmas!

This is a magnificent album to finish up a historic career!  A PERFECT book end.  This sounds like everything Mike has ever strived for in his previous music!  In spite of what he has said in the Amazon article... this album does create the entire experience in mood, sound, light, and texture... that is Halloween!  The REAL festival of Halloween (not slasher Halloween)!

Please don't judge this album by a few samples!  It is far too extravagant and ever changing to be defined by mere snippets!    If you wish to hear it in it's entirety download it from a torrent.  

BUT...

PLEASE ENSURE YOU PURCHASE THIS ALBUM UPON ITS RELEASE DATE!!!  

I can say without a doubt this album is worth every last penny you spend on it!  And as I live in the States where Mike Oldfield costs more to obtain... I want NO excuses!  BUY IT!!!
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 08:01

Toby

Although our opinions seem to be poles apart, I have to say that your argument is well reasoned.  I guess this boils down to two things - firstly the debate as to whether MO is primarily an instrumentalist, a composer or both (and, if so, which of the two is dominant) and secondly, personal taste.    We could debate the first ad infinitum and the second is, by definition, a personal issue.  I'm not writing MOTS off but, equally, I'm probably jot as excited as some posters to this site.
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 08:47

I have to say that i have heard the album 4 or 5 times now and i absolutely love it.  After the first listen i wasn't convinced, but now, after absorbing all the themes and the album as a whole i think it's a great album.  There's no way you can make a judgement on this album after only one or two listens.  Mike's guitar work sounds superb, even if i can hear the slightest of mistakes on Shabda.  I've already ordered my copy from Play.com.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 09:24

Looks like many have already downloaded MotS and I must say, so have I. I must also say that I will buy it for three reasons. 1. It's a MO album. 2. It will sound better coming from a cd. 3. It's fantastic!

It took about 4 times to really start working for me, which is always a good sign. This is a large work and small clips don't do justice. Actually the only thing I think Mike should have done differently is not to have divided the piece to more than two parts, but whatever, dodn't realli madder. I could go on forever but not before the release I will.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 09:40

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 09 2007, 13:32)
I'm sure he'll probably get a flood of offers after MOTS comes out.

that was my thought to, becuase it sounds like a really good soundtrack. Im not very into soundstracks because they are so broing, but this could be something very special.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 09:45

Im still going to Hold out till "November" before listening to it..It seems a 80% vote in Favour so Far so that sounds Good!!  Sometimes Mike throws in a Fun Tk to his Albums ie  Hornpipe, Horseback, Punkadiddle,Lakeme..  Has this got one ?? :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
valiado Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 09:52

Hi

I have to admit that I downloaded this album too. I have heard the complete album 4 times and I think that it's fantastic! It's a beautiful piece!

I will buy the album too (all my Mike's albums are originals)!

BTW, It's a shame (2 months before to realase date)...I think that this damages to Mike and to the company seriusly!! What happens here? Think Universal to do something?
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 10:08

Quote (3Wheeler @ Sep. 09 2007, 09:45)
Im still going to Hold out till "November" before listening to it..It seems a 80% vote in Favour so Far so that sounds Good!!  Sometimes Mike throws in a Fun Tk to his Albums ie  Hornpipe, Horseback, Punkadiddle,Lakeme..  Has this got one ?? :cool:

It doesn't really have a 'On Horseback' kind of track.  Aurora is chirpy though.  Does anyone else think Aurora reminds them of the start of side 3 from Incantations?
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 12:25

About the clips: I opened them in Windows Media Player ("Open URL" and paste the link).

I also downloaded the album and will of course buy it, when it is released. "Harbinger" is a very emotional piece and I quite like some other bits and pieces as well, but I'm not going to comment more than that before the album is released, as that would be a bit silly.

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 12:36

but how is it possible? that the album is out on the net?
Who is resposible?
It is 2 month left!!!  :O

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 13:14

Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 09 2007, 19:36)
but how is it possible? that the album is out on the net?
Who is resposible?
It is 2 month left!!!  :O

Well someone with a promotional copy has "leaked" it. A promo copy was also sold on eBay.

If you are angry enough you can post this link to Universal and maybe the seller anyway won't get any promo copies in the future.  ;)

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230169074826

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 13:16

Help!!! i seem to be missing out. I have heard the clips which were put onto Tubular.Net but some of you seem to have listened to the full album. Where can i get to hear it?

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
gary1eye Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 13:26

It,s on at least 3 p2p sites that i know of. Sorry but i am not going to say which one,s i have already downloaded myself and there is a 5.1 remix version as well which i also have. It will not stop me buying the album as i have pre-order it on play.com
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 13:31

:(

This topic is a totally shame !

Robing the music of Mike before the release of it !  

How can you call yourself , fans of Mike ?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 13:35

Promo copies of CD's aren't that difficult to get hold of if you work or know someone who works in anywhere near the music industry. Going by the time frame other albums have appeared online 6-8 weeks seems to be the norm these days, I guess its the time frame needed by people in the industry to hear the music in advance and plan marketing etc. It doesn't seem to matter how careful artists are things still leak out early.  The recent Chemical Brothers album was taken around by guards to various people in the music industry who needed to hear it early and they were given one listen each before the CD was taken away again and the album still appeared online 2 months before it came out. I do sometimes  agree with those who believe in conspiracy theories regarding the notion  that its actually the record company themselves that leak albums. Its like viral marketing - word gets out, it generates hype, people talk about the album.

Most of Mike's fans will go out and buy MOTS and its beginning to dawn on people that have heard it that after a few listens its actually a bloody good album so hype is being generated.
Profile PM 
197 replies since Sep. 07 2007, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net