[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres streams< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
gbcrvh Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 07:41

Quote (Chicular @ Sep. 12 2007, 23:13)
In my opinion, the first 4 tracks of this album are up there with the best Mike has ever done, the tracks just flow effortlessly.  At the moment silhouette is my favourite track, the bit at the end of the track with Mike on his classical Guitar sounding like a Harp is superb, then it just flows into Shabda.   :D

To me that list changes all the time.  However first day I have listened to album 3 times and next morning upon waking up I had last two songs flowing in my ears.  Can't remember when that happened last time to me.  Album has brilliant ending - that's for sure.  I'm also wondering now what difference will be there between promo and final release as I would hate to love something more on promo release than final one.
Profile PM WEB 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 13:25

Quote (yanouch65 @ Sep. 13 2007, 08:40)
Somebody sold a cd-r of Music of the Spheres yesterday!
It is a shame!
:(

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mike-Ol....iewItem

I reported that to eBay.  ;)

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Olimpia ITA Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 15:48

I desire to post the comment from my friend Marco:
“Entusiasmante e da gustare nell’intimità, perché scuote l’animo e quasi consuma fisicamente se ne si abusa, per l’intensità delle emozioni che scatena, degli svariati percorsi in cui conduce, salite, discese, notti tenebrose e dubbiose, prati verdi assolati, malinconie, gioie e patimenti. Desidero che questo mio breve ringraziamento giunga all’amico Mike: bentornato Mike, incredibile questo lavoro, classe, eleganza, dolcezza, aperture, vuoti, pieni da grande artista, con orchestra e voci sopraffine”.
These words are of difficulty translation:
Enthusiastically because it shakes the mind and it almost consumes physically if too much is used, for the intensity of the emotions that instigates, of the varied runs in which it conducts, you climb, come down, tenebrous and doubtful nights, sunny green lawns, melancholies, joys and sufferings. Thanks Mike!! Unbelievable this job, class, elegance, sweetness, openings, empty, full from great artist, with orchestrates and stupendous voices!
And here everything is said!

--------------
Finis coronat opus
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 16:27

I would love an absolutely *lavish* special edition. With DVD-audio, or even better DVD-video with a performance of the album. With interview. With a 96-page booklet detailing the recording. DVD-sized 3D sleeve. Etc...

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 16:29

Quote (Olimpia ITA @ Sep. 13 2007, 15:48)
Enthusiastically because it shakes the mind and it almost consumes physically if too much is used, for the intensity of the emotions that instigates, of the varied runs in which it conducts, you climb, come down, tenebrous and doubtful nights, sunny green lawns, melancholies, joys and sufferings. Thanks Mike!! Unbelievable this job, class, elegance, sweetness, openings, empty, full from great artist, with orchestrates and stupendous voices!
And here everything is said!

My thoughts exactly.
One other thing - Am I the only one to hear a resemblance between Musica Universalis and the the end section of TB part 1? Its got a repetitive bass line going on with the cellos and then that great melody played on top firstly by piano then glockenspiel then acoustic guitar. You could almost have an  MC introducing them. My only criticism of this track is that its not nearly long enough. I think Mike brings in the climactic bells far to soon. I could quite happily hear that tune build and build with loads of different orchestral instruments. Its a golden melody and a great piece of music synonymous with Mike's early works.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 16:38

Quote (Nicolas @ Sep. 12 2007, 18:43)
I also noticed that on the leak version played on my system, next to the obvious clipping at times, the brass can sound a bit too bright/harsh/painful at high volumes. Though that can be just my system; I know I have a bit overly active tweeters when playing at loud volume. So no comment on that if it's the same in the real CD version, in that case it's just my system which could use sweeter tweeters. As long as the clipping is gone. One Californication is enough.  :/  :D

I swear it's not the pleasure of being negative, but I wouldn't be surprised if the clipping is there on the released CD. I think this is a tendency among recording companies that isn't going to fade away easily (i.e. no complaints against Mike himself here).

As for me, I'm definitely going to download this and check it out. I'm somewhat convinced that the album might really good, after all, and my expectations are getting high. Also, to the hell with the "Mr. Good Guy" attitude of waiting until the release date. I want to belong to the generation that is throwing the equation "music = piece of plastic" on the ground and spitting on it. :D

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 16:47

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 13 2007, 22:29)
Am I the only one to hear a resemblance between Musica Universalis and the the end section of TB part 1?

Nope; Mike's been already criticised/praised on other places for that  ;) .
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 17:31

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 13 2007, 16:38)
Quote (Nicolas @ Sep. 12 2007, 18:43)
I also noticed that on the leak version played on my system, next to the obvious clipping at times, the brass can sound a bit too bright/harsh/painful at high volumes. Though that can be just my system; I know I have a bit overly active tweeters when playing at loud volume. So no comment on that if it's the same in the real CD version, in that case it's just my system which could use sweeter tweeters. As long as the clipping is gone. One Californication is enough.  :/  :D

I swear it's not the pleasure of being negative, but I wouldn't be surprised if the clipping is there on the released CD. I think this is a tendency among recording companies that isn't going to fade away easily (i.e. no complaints against Mike himself here).

As for me, I'm definitely going to download this and check it out. I'm somewhat convinced that the album might really good, after all, and my expectations are getting high. Also, to the hell with the "Mr. Good Guy" attitude of waiting until the release date. I want to belong to the generation that is throwing the equation "music = piece of plastic" on the ground and spitting on it. :D

In the DTS version, the clipping is so obvious I can't really believe they'd put it on CD it like that.

BTW was I right in hearing an instrument "walking" (panning) from right to left and back rather than 2 instruments having a dialogue? In that case, Mike is enjoying his new mixing desk indeed, old skool style! :cool:
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 20:45

Couldn't resist - just had to download it... But I will be buying about 5 copies of it when it's released to give to friends, family etc. because I think as many people as possible need to hear this!

I can't stop listening to it... It's a truly beautiful piece and even the sections that I thought initially were slightly cliche and dull are becoming my absolute favourites - always a good sign!

The little echoes of previous works are all present and correct but I think that they make MOTS stronger - in a way proving the validity of Mike's approach down the years and refining them into something elegant and beautiful.

The repeating themes and beautiful segues make MOTS easily the most unified piece that Mike has created, even moreso than the early masterworks. The flow is perfect and the overall mood is of calm reflection, punctuated by euphoric highs - a contrast to the more dark moods of earlier records.

Animus is one such high and I think has to be one of the finest pieces of music in Mike's entire catalogue... The Tempest is fantastically complex and layered and is reminiscent of a more melodic Steve Reich. The climax of this section is just incredible - the massive brass drones sweeping in and lifting the whole thing into the stratosphere!  On my Heart is beautiful, just beautiful but TOO SHORT! I Could listen to another 2 minutes of it at least!

Aurora is in some ways the lighthearted section of the record, jaunty strings and buoyant vocals in an almost baroque arrangement - its just plain good fun! Then with 1 minute to go it turns all celestial... gorgeous! Harmonia Mundi is where it all comes together - all of the themes on the album are combined into a beautifully calm, yet emotionally charged whole, showing how integrated the musical concept of the piece really is.

Empyrean's horns are slightly harsh sounding - the fault of the poor quality MP3s i think, but the music is rousing, triumphal - theres a moment in it at 1:16 where flutes play and they remind me strangely of Mike's electric guitar sound - its the one spot on the album where i think a short burst of electric guitar would have worked well as a sort of climax point towards the end of the piece. Then of course Musica Universalis - just fantastic - the buildup is subtle, tense, then the bells and choir make it soar, waves of sound again leading to the huge sounding climax where drones of brass, strings and choir create an impressive finale...

In all it's wonderful. And even better is the knowlege that the CD will sound much much better than what I have been listening to! I have a really good feeling that this will be Mike's biggest success in a long, long time and it will be richly deserved as he's managed to create something truly special!

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 20:59

Quote (Nicolas @ Sep. 13 2007, 22:31)
In the DTS version, the clipping is so obvious I can't really believe they'd put it on CD it like that.

Well considering there's no official DTS mix, I'd say it's fairly certain they're not going to release it like that!

I haven't heard it and I don't really have any wish to either, but I can say for certain that the DTS version you've heard has been created by an amateur, no doubt using all sorts of horrid audio-ruining toys. I'd put my money on that being the source of the clipping...
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 13 2007, 22:37

Quote (Navaira @ Sep. 13 2007, 18:27)
I would love an absolutely *lavish* special edition. With DVD-audio, or even better DVD-video with a performance of the album. With interview. With a 96-page booklet detailing the recording. DVD-sized 3D sleeve. Etc...

I remember I've read something about a Universal team who went to Abbey Road to film the recording of the album,I'd love to see that released as a bonus!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Down Under Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 03:10

Well, what do you know?  After 34 years, at last, "The Orchestral Mike Oldfield Discography"!!  It's jam packed with hints and deja vus from so much of his list - TB, HR, Ommadawn, Incantations, TSODE, Voyager, MB, TL - I expect that if I listen to it again, I'll be reminded of even more MO albums.  Hmmm, I wonder if he played ALL the instruments, just like on that very first album?   The legend lives on ... ;)
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 04:58

Quote (BTH @ Sep. 13 2007, 20:45)
Couldn't resist - just had to download it...
Mike's biggest success in a long, long time and it will be richly deserved as he's managed to create something truly special!

That's a wonderful review you've written...

And now, as I'm hearing On My Heart, I fully agree...
This should have been much longer...

Which leaves me with no other option than to just play
it again!!
The horror! The horror!!
:D

Btw: I think I recall someone saying they analised the lyrics for On My Heart... But I can't find it anywhere...
Anyone knows??

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 05:36

Analysed? I put up the lyrics in another thread. Dunno about the analysis. If anyone finds it could you link here?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 06:06

Quote (arron11196 @ Sep. 14 2007, 05:36)
Analysed? I put up the lyrics in another thread. Dunno about the analysis. If anyone finds it could you link here?

Well, heheh actually, that's what I meant, the lyrics...

I used the search, but can't find it  :/  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
txuntb Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 06:07

OMG It´s a MO masterpiece. no doubt. Congratulations to all of us :D
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 06:23

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Sep. 14 2007, 09:58)

Btw: I think I recall someone saying they analised the lyrics for On My Heart... But I can't find it anywhere...
Anyone knows??

"Analised"? Is that some sort of horrible medieval torture?

Piltdownboy, you'll find the lyrics thread in "Tubular talk" / "General", currently the top most recent thread.

Was Listening to On my Heart this morning, it certainly is a gorgeous track and I agree I'd love it to be longer. Mike, 12" extended edition please :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 07:03

Thanks mate!

And yes indeed, the 'analysis' is a slow and painful process of putting a body apart, using only ancient knives and sharp stones.

--------------
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 08:12

What I love especially about this album is that I can hear again joyful and playful sounds catching or coming out from each other which is something I used to enjoy in early/classic albums by MO.  And here it is again!  Can't wait for album official release - if people at Universal feel about this album half as we do we can see some (probably) nice promo forthcoming.  

And now something completely different - given this album is going to be success I assume record company will try to release single followed by video.  Do you agree?  So, is it going to be first or last song?  Is it going to be something never seen before like a mix of all songs into 6 minute piece or something else.... Let your imagination run :D
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Sep. 14 2007, 09:01

Not Having heard the Album Yet!!  How does it Strike People.. A Classic Record in the Traditional Sense.. or A Mike Oldfield Album Played by a Orchestra..!! :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
197 replies since Sep. 07 2007, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net