Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres streams< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 24 2007, 06:37

Thanks for the reply Toby. I must admit throughout all the time i`ve been reading people`s posts on this board. I have found myself nodding my head with a good deal of what you put up on here.On reflection you may well be right about what certain critics will make of this album, although I have to say I`m a little more than intrigued to hear them. Maybe it`s the masochistic side of me? Who Knows?

When Mike released The Killing Fields he recieved a good deal of favourable reaction in a lot of the English broadsheets. I seem to remember a writer in The Telegraph naming it as one of his favourite pieces of music of the year, alongside Soil Festivities by Vangelis(another masterpiece IMO.  ) Obviously this album is very different in both mood and concept. But it`s right what you say it`s almost like a soundtrack without a movie. Having said that John Barry did very well with his Beyondness Of Things and Eternal Echoes albums, so there is without doubt a market out there for this kind of music. I`m just a little concerned that they aren`t going to forgive him for the tubular indulgence again.And I have to add I`m finding it very difficult myself.

Myself personally I`d rather see Classic Fm pick up on the On My Heart piece rather than Harbinger although that remains to be seen. It`s almost crying out to be released as a single though...Christmas number one!!   :D
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2007, 06:45

"A soundtrack without a movie" - thats a very interesting way of putting it. I haven't heard all of this album yet, but that is how i'd describe most of Mike's albums. Consider TSODE, or Crises, Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge, Tubular Bells...

Even though some of Mike's work could be considered as more commercially driven, I think this particular dimension is prevalent through most of his work. Mont St Michel gives me this feeling, and most of his instrumentals conjure images in my mind. Most of the reason that I feel so attached to Mike's work (as well as Vangelis's) is because of his music's ability to do that.

There are one or two other bands that manage to do this for me, and whilst they dont operate on the same level as Mike and V, they still weave their composition in such away that it strikes chords within my soul. I guess you could say it speaks to my soul, rather than being something throwaway thats forgotten or something ordinary like any other manufactured pop song... There are bands out there at the moment that are producing some unique and beautiful soundscapes.

My hope is being rekindled... After the late 90's I'd given up on popular music. Maybe I should start looking into it more often.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 24 2007, 09:32

Well, I think "soundtrack without a movie", if it gets used, is bound to be used in a more pejorative sense. This is music that sounds like classical music, but only sounds like. And most soundtracks do that too. It's kind of inevitable, though, and not necessarily Mike's fault. Anyway, I couldn't care less anymore about critical reaction. I did listen to this album plenty of times since I downloaded it, and it got quickly up in the "honourable" section of the rank. Something about Animus really gets through to me. But the sole most important thing is that oh-my-gawd Musica Universalis is actually a SUBTLE and NECESSARY and MELODIC climax and doesn't try to blow my eardrums off for 5 minutes like blasted evil see-you-in-hell Far Above the Clouds. That, to me, is a must.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2007, 10:11

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 24 2007, 09:32)
But the sole most important thing is that oh-my-gawd Musica Universalis is actually a SUBTLE and NECESSARY and MELODIC climax and doesn't try to blow my eardrums off for 5 minutes like blasted evil see-you-in-hell Far Above the Clouds. That, to me, is a must.

One of the things I took a while to appreciate about MOTS are the things Mike left off it rather than what he included. Other than obvious things I knew i was going to enjoy seeing the back of like his drum pad sounds and synth stuff I actually really like the fact there isn't his text book screeching electric guitar solos over everything. His acoustic guitar playing really shines on the album as a result I think. Don't get me wrong I love Mike's electric guitar playing but it does sometimes come at the expense of certain pieces having any degree of subtlety about them.

Dirk Star - cheers for the compliment. A good point about John Barry. His stuff is amazing.
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Sep. 24 2007, 15:10

Nice to see people writing both on positive and negative aspects.

I myself really like the album and see the references to previous works as a funny thing like "Hey that's kinda clever...". I don't feel like I'm buying the same music again.

After all "Harbinger" and "Musica Universalis" are very good tracks and still quite different from TB part 1 beginning and end, even though sharing some ideas.

The term "classical music" can be understood in many ways. By the strictest definition, most of the "classical music" as Average Joe knows it, isn't in fact classical, but perhaps "Baroque" or "Romantic" or "Modernism" or something.

(Well if Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" is "classical" or even "music", then MOTS can be "classical music".)

"Contemporary orchestral music" might be an accurate definition for MOTS and we'll see what future generations will call it. Then it won't be contemporary anymore...

Of course the problem of categorising an Oldfield album isn't anything new. As long as it isn't called "New age" I don't mind. I refuse to listen to New age. I don't have long hair and I don't use healing energy crystals.  ;)

Now if only someone madea movie for this great soundtrack!  :D

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2007, 05:01

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 24 2007, 10:11)
Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 24 2007, 09:32)
But the sole most important thing is that oh-my-gawd Musica Universalis is actually a SUBTLE and NECESSARY and MELODIC climax and doesn't try to blow my eardrums off for 5 minutes like blasted evil see-you-in-hell Far Above the Clouds. That, to me, is a must.

One of the things I took a while to appreciate about MOTS are the things Mike left off it rather than what he included. Other than obvious things I knew i was going to enjoy seeing the back of like his drum pad sounds and synth stuff I actually really like the fact there isn't his text book screeching electric guitar solos over everything. His acoustic guitar playing really shines on the album as a result I think. Don't get me wrong I love Mike's electric guitar playing but it does sometimes come at the expense of certain pieces having any degree of subtlety about them.

Dirk Star - cheers for the compliment. A good point about John Barry. His stuff is amazing.

[QUOTE]A good point about John Barry. His stuff is amazing.

Just to pick up on the John Barry thing here. I gave a copy of this album to a good friend of mine,and sent him a link to this forum, so he could find out what I really thought of it. Anyway he sent me the following message in response........

Cant help it man, read all the forum no mention of him, but dont take this the wrong way but did John Barry have anything at all to do with this album? anything? pop round for a cuppa with old mikey and left some string arragement on his chair? no? come on its there, its everywhere, lush strings, massive soundscape huge dynamics, did they get chattin in pub and maybe big john left his briefcase on the stool? mmmmm! Have you heard those horns? HOW WAY MAN. Iam not dissing it, its class, I wouldnt hold it against him if he did a bit of pilferin in the name of sellin a good album to hungry listeners, we all run out of ideas sooner or later, so hey, if your biggest ideas are the best, why not re-use them, and if that doesnt work...... nick some

:D    And this is what I sent him in reply....

Ha ha that`s really weird dude, because if you go onto the page after my first post I mention him replying to a message from somebody else. Page 10 I think it is. He actually worked with a bloke called Karl Jenkins who did those Adieumus albums (sp??) I`m not a big fan of his to be honest, so I was a bit concerned it would turn out pants. But I needn`t have been concerned like cos it`s certainly nobody else but Oldfield calling all the shots here.

At the end of the day because I don`t listen to that much orchestral music really I didn`t want to make too much of the John Barry comparison on the forum, in case I got shot down with shit. But I thought I would just conveniantly drop his name into another post because like yourself, I certainly heard comparisons there. I guess I`ll have a peek later and see if anybody makes anything of it. Probably not though in all honesty.

When you think about it logically though they are both composers who try and write from the heart. Most of their melodies are quite simplistic really,  invoking memories of childhood or something magical that is always just out of reach.(wot the fuck am i smoking here????????) I suppose because Oldfield has decided to go "Classical" as such...I think a lot of those similarities have been magnified. They are also both big fans of celtic and pastoral themes as well, so most of those melodies tend to be carried by flutes, clarinets,oboe etc, and are often.  very rounded and lyrical. Sometimes Oldfield`s melodies are probably too rounded I feel, which is why I think he works better when he`s working them into larger scale pieces like this one. And like you say the strings are very lush in places there`s no denying that. All i can say is great minds think alike. By which i mean Oldfield and Barry, and not us two daft fuckers.....
Profile PM 
alexander.schweigert Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2007, 06:41

I get this from  Universal Music Classics & Jazz Germany today. For Real Player

EPK download link moved to separate topic

--------------
www.oldfield.de
Profile PM WEB 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2007, 07:40

Cool video, I really enjoyed that. I hope they release some kind of making of dvd to go with the album as obviously a lot of work has gone into its creation.

Something gives me a feeling this could be my next analysis project? ;)

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 25 2007, 17:12

now i know where i have heard Aurora (2.46)!
That sound is so familiar! I have been thinking to death about it. Everytime i hear it; i think... where have i heard that.
And it is true. The sound is indeed familiar with hes sisters song; Sally Oldfield, Mirrors! or Wampun song even more! ;)
listen from 1:22 if you have Wampun song.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Pendragon Offline

Posted: Sep. 25 2007, 20:04

I'm Pendragon and I'm a pirate.  I really really tried to resist, but after reading all the glowing reviews, I gave in to temptation.  As others have said before, I will be purchasing several copies of this recording as all my friends and relatives will be getting it for Christmas.  Even my  84 year old mother will find something in it to love.  My offspring's favourite track is Aurora with all its energy and joy.  My only complaint is that its too short.  Musica Universalis alone should go on for at least another twenty minutes.  

It took a couple of lessons to get what some of you meant by it being undenyably Mike.  The guitar work is beautiful but its so intrinsically a part of the whole thing that it doesn't stand out enough to recognize any distinct Mikeisms in it.  Its the whole structure of MOTS, including the echoes of past work, that could only be Mike Oldfield.

Expansive in scope, it somehow manages to be intimate.  Alternatively calming and arousing, it takes  me on an emotional journey that leaves me awed. It truly seems to be a culmination of everything that came before it.

Mike has talked about how each instrument has its own voice and he has succeeded in using the voices within a classical orchestra to their best advantage. I normally hate horns but how he makes them sing takes my breath away. This is a medium our Maestro makes his own.

And as for a soundtrack without a movie, can you imagine if they gave Mike the soundtrack for the last Harry Potter movie?  I'm almost tempted to start a false story on the "Rumours" part of the board in the hope of beginning a campaign.

To you law abiding souls who are waiting for the official release, you will be rewarded for your fortitude.  MOTS is brilliant.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 07:22

Quote (Markus K. @ Sep. 22 2007, 20:03)
Quote (gbcrvh @ Sep. 16 2007, 19:09)
Obviously someone was impressed by music, but it sad that at least some sort of video was not made (after all, it's youtube which stands for video works).

"Movement Of The Spheres" plus one bonus sphere.  ;)

...and a few imperfections, but I'm too lazy to fix them.  :/

The video is made just for fun and maybe it works as unofficial promotion. Anyway my idea (obviously) is not to cause financial loss to copyright owners.

:/  I have made one with an excerpt of Shabda too . But i don't know if i have the right to show it ..... maybe i have to wait for the release date before sharing it .. It's not a really good video anyway , but you could be happy to see something new and interesting about Mike ...  Mike and spheres .
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 10:06

Just heard "Music Of The Spheres" release has been put back to (Jan - Mar) 2008, due to Mikes baby being due in December, and he cannot commit to support the album until this Arrival. Cheers to Tati the Sentinel and all @ Tubular.Net
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 10:55

:) Well , if it 's the truth , it's a really good and a bad news .
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 11:06

Universal Music has officially announced it, get ready for the new release date, Amazon has also altered the release date to 14/ 1/ 2008.

Good luck to Mike & Fanny for their new arrival.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 12:11

We've got a topic about the revised release date here now - you can carry on the discussion over there :)
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2007, 04:52

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Sep. 27 2007, 14:22)
I have made one with an excerpt of Shabda too . But i don't know if i have the right to show it ..... maybe i have to wait for the release date before sharing it .. It's not a really good video anyway , but you could be happy to see something new and interesting about Mike ...  Mike and spheres .

"Just do it."  ;)

Well...there seems to be a few MOTS videos or "videos" on YouTube. (Some don't have any visual content.)

Record-sales-wise I would be more concerned about P2P networks than YouTube, but of course a copyright violation is always a copyright violation. Where to draw the line? Dunno. Would be easier if it wasn't an unreleased album.

I haven't been arrested yet for uploading my Shabda video.  :)

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2008, 07:10

Love the samples - album sounds very promising.  Hopefully it will sell well and prompt Mike to some more work (though if he decides to retire he probably deserves it).
Profile PM 
Guru Meditation Offline

Posted: Feb. 19 2008, 03:15

The album is much more 'Oldfildian' than I thought it will be. This impressed me the most. Oldfield managed to in a way round his musical ideas from before, and many of them are bettered. Musica Universalis is my favourite.

Now on the other note, the purely orchestral arrangement doesn't work well. Electronic/studio enchantement would make music much better. Expecialy the beggining section sounds realy weak

Neither I agree with the structure of the album. There is little strory-telling logic to the flow of the music. Since the themes are quite compatible they could have been integrated into a more 'organic' whole. He should have repeated themes less times inside of the sections but more mix them arround. There was no need to repeat the themes so much... 'The Harbringer' is ridiculously repetitive. It should have been shorter, as well as most of the others...

The melodies are pretty good but aren't that spectacular honestly, even 'On My Heart' - they are just nice and deep... so this is why he should have chosen more of a symphonic poem structure and not separate songs.
Profile PM 
197 replies since Sep. 07 2007, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net