Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres streams< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
timshen Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 01:07

Wow! These few clips are a welcome foretaste of what's to come. I particularly love the piano section in Prophecy, seems to really capture something deep for me. Listening to these clips alongside reading "Changeling" (which my parents just gave me as an early birthday present) really puts them in context.

Thanks for the music Mike :-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 01:12

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 07 2007, 14:20)
...we need an official MOTS site...

With all the info provided here at Tubular.net, I don't feel a need for an official MOTS site.

I've now been able to devote some listening time to these pieces, and right away I had difficulty getting beyond "Harbinger" - I just wanted to keep replaying it over and over! And after listening to the other streams, I am thrilled to bits. What truly gorgeous sounds these are. I'm so eager to hear the whole work.

(ETA: I see there was some spotty grammar in my earlier post - I'm blaming it on over-excitement and limited time.)

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 01:20

I'm blaming it on over-excitement and limited time.

Sweetpea, isn't that what made TB side 1 so special and awesome?

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 01:51

Quote (timshen @ Sep. 08 2007, 01:20)
Sweetpea, isn't that what made TB side 1 so special and awesome?

:D  I doubt my post will become so celebrated as to justify such a correlation, timshen, but it's sweet of you to make it all the same.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Obi Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 04:18

I was delighted to receive a full copy of the album yesterday, and I have played it through three times by now.

The first time: "Yeah, this is not too bad!"

The second time: "Oooh, I *like* that bit! And that bit too..."

The third time: "Wow! This album blows me away! Best thing he's done in years!" F*cking brilliant!

:D :D :D
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 06:07

Mmmm....not sure. Pretty run of the mill stuff as far as classical goes. Will have to hear it in full when it's released. All the clips were too climatic and samey. I hope there are some contrasts in the music. Its also hard to listen with all those annoying digital noises spoiling the music.

I love Karl Jenkins' "The Armed Man". Now that is beautiful.
Profile PM WEB 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 07:17

Harbinger: just brillant, I wonder how the rest of the record will be, but I'm confident!

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Afgyhi Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 07:25

This sounds really really nice!!! Cant wait to hear those songs in good quality  on CD. Would be great to hear it played live too  :p

--------------
Crises! Crises!!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 07:46

Quote (Sweetpea @ Sep. 08 2007, 03:12)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 07 2007, 14:20)
...we need an official MOTS site...

With all the info provided here at Tubular.net, I don't feel a need for an official MOTS site.

Light + Shade had a website,why not MOTS?

Hummm...the melody of Musica Universalis has stuck in my mind!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 08:05

Quote (Afgyhi @ Sep. 08 2007, 13:25)
Would be great to hear it played live too  :p

With Jenkins as the conductor and Mike sitting behind a piano, drumming the rythm with his fingers agains it?  :zzz:
I'm sorry, but Mike Oldfield -live- without the guitar would not do it for me at all.
But as a listening sensation I think this upcoming album will be pretty much IT!  :)

Now I'm just counting the days for the album release in November.  :cool:

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 10:16

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 08 2007, 12:46)
Light + Shade had a website,why not MOTS?

I could think of a few reasons not to, but that would be pure speculation...

I personally see little need for a dedicated site at the moment: Universal has a page up about it already for those non-hardcore fans who want to find information, and for the hardcore fans...well, I like to think that's what tubular.net is for!

When they begin the advertising campaign, I think that would be the time to put up a dedicated site that can be mentioned in the advertising and that will support the campaign.

We're not going to stand still either. We're of course very aware of the kinds of things everyone out there would like to see and I've been doing everything I can to make sure that Universal are aware of those wishes. Some things are more easily achievable than others, but rest assured you're being listened to.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 15:19

I didn't know where to post this, just wanted to say what I felt. I am [/I]so[I] looking forward to the release of Music of the Spheres. So much so that I will not be listening to any clips beforehand ( as tempting as it is ) I'll also be skimming over any reviews, good or bad, quite simply because I do not want to spoil that first listen. To hear the music as close as Mike intends it to be heard is what I really want. In some way all these previews, I feel, would remove it's full impact for me. From what has been said elsewhere about music being made available by other artists sooner than release date it's not unusual. I think I am old fashioned and can feel the generation gap as I'm not moving with the times but I am sticking to my guns. We can choose what we do. But I think something vital gets lost in all this 'haste' to be the first to hear it. And we are not the first to hear it after all, there was a whole bloomin' orchestra performing it so quite a few know of it already, or did they have cotton wool in their ears? ( and after November I'd really like to know how they felt performing the piece).

If the music is available so soon (two months!!!;) is there any point in having a release date at all? Or is it just a means to guage how much interest there is so as to determine the amount to spend on promotion?  :)

I think to be patient is worthwhile but at the same time can understand the enthusiastic desire to hear any part of the new album, but I won't be moved...the only thing that would change my mind was if Mike himself said 'here you go, have a listen to this!' ...like that's going to happen!!  :p

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
speedm Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 16:18

Hey,

this last clip shows that some of MoTS will be a hommage to Sibelius, which is very cool. MO has always written about his love for Sibelius 5, and you can hear Sibelius-like orchestration in some of the clips.

Looks like it's going to be a great one.
Profile PM 
Horse Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 16:44

I love the chant in Shabda!
And it is remarkable how Aurora sounds like something from Incantations! :-)
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 17:44

This is my first message in years!

Can someone help me get the clips to work?  I've tried to open the stream in IE and FireFox and both give errors when loading.  I'd appreciate any help.  The extension looks to be ASX.  

From all the good comments I expect this is going to be a fantastic album! :)  I heard the ClassicFM clips and they were great!

Hope everyone is Fantastic!

Cheers
Chris
Profile PM 
kuraaka Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 18:14

It feels like this is the best Oldfield's album for more than a decade. I think I will buy it and enjoy it thoroughly, which has not happened since 1994 and Songs of Distant Earth - which is a damn long time ago. Simply great. Although I do recognise plenty of Tubular Bell-esque moments, it does not bother me too much. Some bits are absolutely beautiful and moving.
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 18:35

I have to admit I downloaded the album from the torrent network.

Played "Harbinger".

Was blown away COMPLETELY before 2:00.

Stopped playing it and decided to wait VERY IMPATIENTLY for the actual CD. Like, the plastic thingy with a hole in the middle. Mike is back with vengeance. There is nothing half as good as "Harbinger" on Light + Shade, or on anything he's done since TB3, actually. This is an album I want to pay for, hold it in my hands (a "physical" copy) and then listen to. I know. These first two minutes are already worth 15 euro or whatever the price will be...

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 20:16

I have heard the album almost 6 times now, and (except Animus and Shabda) I can't tell how much it s*cks !

It's flat, tasteless, recycled... I think I even prefer The Millennium Bell !

TB, Ommadawn, Amarok, Five Miles Out, Crises, Discovery, TSODE were absolutly incredible and unique masterpieces, but for me MOTS is his worst album !
I'm so disappointed... Now, the magic has gone...
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2007, 21:13

I have to admit that I downloaded this album, too... The curiosity was just too much to bear. The download has no effect on my buying the album - I have bought every Oldfield-release on the release for 20 years and will do so in the future.

I have now listened to the album two times, and I LOVE it. "Musica Universalis" is the best I have heard from him for ages and ages, and "Harbinger", "Aurora" and "Prophecy" are high on my ranking as well. Very innovative and dynamic...

Don't want to get commenting any more an album, not yet released, but I'll just say this: Universal should promo the album right now and pull the release date as much earlier as possible, due to this leak. And try to get the "Musica Universalis" on the radio as much as possible. That track alone exhibits Mike's unique talent more than enough, and the melody has almost hypnotic quality to it.

I'm still eagerly waiting for the official release, but now I can live in anticipation a bit more comfortably...  :)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 03:53

Christopher: I also had trouble listening to them. For me it was my firewall causing trouble and I had to temporarily disable it. The clips then worked fine for me.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
197 replies since Sep. 07 2007, 11:12 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net