Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres release delayed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 09:37

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Oct. 02 2007, 00:56)
As much as I love and cherish Mike and his music, there are more important things in life than an album release being delayed.  I can wait until January.

I can also wait.The artist Mike Oldfield depends on the health of Michael Gordon Oldfield  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 10:16

I think Ugo is one of the most important and friendly members in tubular.net, and Korgscrew is as well one of the old friends from when I started writing here, so i was sorry seing this little row happened but I'm happy as well Ugo apologised until I didn't think he had to, 'cos he didn't do anything wrong. We all have got a bit nervous about this it seems, and I think we have to be fair and give this topic no more importance.

Myself I will focus on Mike's music, 'cos although I appreciate and admire him, my God is Jesus, and each one chooses his one, but I won't "adore" anybody else, although I'll keep on loving Mike's music to death.

I think even him prefers everybody to focus in the music. Everybody's been a bit worried about any news about him, which is very fair from us, but now that we know everything's fine we can let go and wait till January for the new album.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 11:48

From a world of patience and sanity....

I'm genuinely upset that Mike has delayed the album's release, as I, like most of us, was really looking forward to it.

But 8 weeks is not a long time, and it's not like the release has been cancelled or anything! Hell, I waited 10 years for a new Peter Gabriel album, so I can cope with a few weeks for Mike's new CD. It isn't the end of the world.

He doesn't have to disclose personal details or reasons. He obviously wants to be able to give his full atention when the album comes out - if it is not the right time in November so be it.

I wish Mike and his family all the very best - good luck and good health.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 16:54

Quote (leesonar @ Sep. 27 2007, 12:51)
I knew @ 10:06 about this Korgscrew why did it take you 2 hours to post?

Am I wrong or are you just plain arrogant in your question?  :O

The only point in this message is to show that you knew it before it was posted. That's all you seem to want to say with such a message. Congratulations dude.
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 17:30

just read the last few exchanges and... well... can we change the subject?

Did anyone get Led Zeppelin tickets?
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 18:35

The interest in MUSIC OF THE SPHERES has extended to fans of Hayley Westenra, who have heard about her appearance on the album and judging by this discussion thread, most are interested in buying the album:

http://bb02.sov.uk.vvhp.net/hayleywestenra/YaBB.pl?num=1190798841

It is a real shame that the album has been pushed back to '08 because the Christmas market would have been the perfect opportunity for Mike to go top 20 with this album - Jenkins and Wetenra having an obvious impact on sales, but i doubt the same can be said at the start of the new year- a weak time to release an album.

Mike may not be available in nov to promote the album- but let's face it he is hardly going to go on PARKINSON to do that- and i doubt the odd interview on local radio would be of any significance-
NOTE TO MIKE / UNIVERSAL - KNOCK UP A TV AD FEAT. HAYLEY WESTENRA AND KARL JENKINS AS CONDUCTOR AND GET THE DAMN THING OUT ON NO 12th!!!
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2007, 18:37

Tickets for Led Zeppelin??? Not me... Will they play Hergest Ridge???

Ji ji ji ji ji

Just jokin' ;)

Delfín>>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2007, 15:30

It is actually much easier to go top 10 at the beginning of the year -- without competition from more or less everyone. But sales will be lower. Pet Shop Boys' PopArt sold 300 thousand copies in the UK reaching number 30 in the Christmas period, while their previous studio album Release sold around 50 thousand, reaching number 9 in autumn... In January sales are at their lowest, which means two things -- MOTS will sell less copies, but it will also chart higher.

Can I just add that I can't wait to hold a "physical copy" of the album in my greedy hands? If anyone from Universal is reading, PLEASE release a truly lavish special limited edition with a very thick booklet, additional DVD and whatever you can think of :)

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
AirPiano Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2007, 18:17

Quote (Navaira @ Oct. 03 2007, 15:30)
If anyone from Universal is reading, PLEASE release a truly lavish special limited edition with a very thick booklet, additional DVD and whatever you can think of :)

And please, dear God, release the sheet music!
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Oct. 04 2007, 13:01

I guess if nothing else what this post has shown is how passionate we all are about Mike, his new releases and anything Oldfield related. I think after hearing the snippets of MOTS we have got so tantalisingly close to been able to get our hands on the CD. Still, as has already been mentioned, i am sure we can wait a further eight weeks for the release. It will certainly give us something to look forward to following the post christmas blues!!

I also visited the link to Hayley Westernas fanzone, Her fans are really looking forward to this release and i was pleasantly surprised at the positive comments about mike and his music. It looks like MOTS could really open doors to a much wider musical audience for Mike.

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2007, 05:04

Quote (AirPiano @ Oct. 03 2007, 18:17)
If anyone from Universal is reading, PLEASE release a truly lavish special limited edition with a very thick booklet, additional DVD and whatever you can think of :)

The delay gives Universal  time to release MOTS in SACD hybrid (SACD multi channel/SACD stereo/CD stereo) version? They did a great job with Elton John's "Peachtree Road". It would also play on conventional CD players and would sound FANTASTIC in surround sound!!

MOTS in surround sound anyone ? :)  
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2007, 05:47

It is actually much easier to go top 10 at the beginning of the year -- without competition from more or less everyone. But sales will be lower. Pet Shop Boys' PopArt sold 300 thousand copies in the UK reaching number 30 in the Christmas period, while their previous studio album Release sold around 50 thousand, reaching number 9 in autumn... In January sales are at their lowest, which means two things -- MOTS will sell less copies, but it will also chart higher.

Can I just add that I can't wait to hold a "physical copy" of the album in my greedy hands? If anyone from Universal is reading, PLEASE release a truly lavish special limited edition with a very thick booklet, additional DVD and whatever you can think of :)

Good post. I think given Mike`s change of direction as such here. An album that is seen to be doing well could be a lot more beneficial for Mike than a one that just shifts a lot of units.I think it could also be good that the release will be at the end of January, just to make sure all those christmas compilations are well and truly out the way.
I recently had to drive a relative of mine into hospital for an operation. And one of the items that he took in with him was a copy of the last Karl Jenkins album. I mentioned to him that he was working with Mike on a new album, and he became very inerested. When I told him that Hayley Westerna was singing on it as well, he asked me to remind him when he could buy a copy. The fact that he listens to classic fm almost 24/7 should hopefully mean that I wont have to remind him. Although I will do all the same.    ;)

It`s just a thought but I think it would be a good idea if Univeral had a sticker on the front of the album telling would be punters of both Karl and Hayley`s involvement. I dare say it would have a slightly greater impact than the "featuring the drummer of Simply Red" damp squib!

Whatever Mike`s reasons are for the delay here, I wish him all the best. Would be nice to see him do well in the UK with this one.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2007, 06:49

Remember though folks MOTS will probably qualify for the classical music charts not the mainstream rock/pop charts.  You do get some crossover albums appearing in the mainstream charts but I'm sure Universal will be promoting MOTS as a classical record and therefore categorizing it as such. I don't know how many copies of a classical album you need to sell to get to number one in the calssical chart but I doubt its that many. I'd be surprised if MOTS didn't make it, if its promoted well.

I know there is a line of thinking in the music industry that albums that get released in January/Febuary tend to have a clearer run at the charts but as far as MOTS is concerned firstly its a classical album (see above argument) and secondly MOTS is a Christmasy album if ever I heard one. Theres no doubt in my mind that it would have done a killing if released and promoted in the run up to Christmas but Mike obviously has more important things to deal with.
Profile PM 
MrRcorn Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2007, 12:07

Ebay Music Of the Spheres
Another 1

OMG where did they get these from and I like the tin.
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2007, 13:42

Remember though folks MOTS will probably qualify for the classical music charts not the mainstream rock/pop charts.  You do get some crossover albums appearing in the mainstream charts but I'm sure Universal will be promoting MOTS as a classical record and therefore categorizing it as such. I don't know how many copies of a classical album you need to sell to get to number one in the calssical chart but I doubt its that many. I'd be surprised if MOTS didn't make it, if its promoted well.

I know there is a line of thinking in the music industry that albums that get released in January/Febuary tend to have a clearer run at the charts but as far as MOTS is concerned firstly its a classical album (see above argument) and secondly MOTS is a Christmasy album if ever I heard one. Theres no doubt in my mind that it would have done a killing if released and promoted in the run up to Christmas but Mike obviously has more important things to deal with.

Classical albums can still enter the mainstream charts. If you look at music week, there is a classical chart and a normal chart, and artists like Pavarotti and Katherine Jenkins are listed in both, so assuming MOTS shifts sufficient copies, it will feature in both.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2007, 17:59

Quote (Ratty @ Oct. 04 2007, 13:01)
I also visited the link to Hayley Westernas fanzone, Her fans are really looking forward to this release and i was pleasantly surprised at the positive comments about mike and his music. It looks like MOTS could really open doors to a much wider musical audience for Mike.

I wonder what comprises the majority of Westenra's audience. I really don't know much about her and only assume that she has a large young female fanbase.

Quote (simmo2005 @ Oct. 05 2007, 13:42)
Classical albums can still enter the mainstream charts. If you look at music week, there is a classical chart and a normal chart, and artists like Pavarotti and Katherine Jenkins are listed in both, so assuming MOTS shifts sufficient copies, it will feature in both.

That's what I thought, simmo, but I'm not knowledgeable about this sort of thing. So, given high enough sales, a classical album would become 'Popular' and pop up on the Pop chart - which is actually just the top-selling list regardless of genre (though certainly 'Pop' music, in general, outsells all others), correct? Not that I worry myself over sales, but the process of it all is intriguing.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 06 2007, 17:36

Quote (Sweetpea @ Oct. 05 2007, 23:59)
[..] given high enough sales, a classical album would become 'Popular' and pop up on the Pop chart - which is actually just the top-selling list regardless of genre [...]

AFAIR, this is exactly what happened with Nigel Kennedy's rendition of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. So I wouldn't be very surprised to see MotS 'popping up' in both the Classical and Pop charts. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2007, 12:43

yet another promo set- 2 discs, 1 being the EPK we've already seen- look how much people are bidding for it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mike-Ol....iewItem
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2007, 05:28

The tin reminded me of the rare copy of Enigma's "TNT for the Brain" song. Seems to me whatever's in a tin would cost quite a lot!

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Oct. 09 2007, 08:32

Quote (Andylkl @ Oct. 09 2007, 10:28)
"Seems to me whatever's in a tin would cost quite a lot!"

Even baked beans???  :)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
129 replies since Sep. 27 2007, 12:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net