Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres release delayed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 12:06

We've had confirmation from Universal UK that the release date for Music of the Spheres has been moved back to late January. This is due to Mike being unavailable to promote the album for personal reasons.
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 12:18

I Hope Mike is not expecting twins or birth / health complications, my heart goes out to them. Hope all is well.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 12:33

To add a little more info that I didn't want appearing on the front page...

It does sound like it was very much Mike's decision and not Universal's (though at the end of the day, Universal have the last word). It seems like they were all ready to go and this has come as something of a surprise to some of them.

Nothing more was mentioned to me than it being due to personal things in Mike's life. It's likely those things are indeed the fact that he and Fanny are expecting a baby, but it could equally mean that there's a little more to it than that.

I'd heard elsewhere that no TV appearances were planned, however, one of the reasons I was given for the delayed release was that Mike wouldn't be able to appear on TV if it was released in November. That could well have been just an example plucked out the air and not necessarily an indication of any plans, but making TV appearances would certainly seem to me to be a good way to promote the album.

So...we await January with bated breath...
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 12:41

I have heard that it was Mike's decision, but it has took time to convince Universal Music to delay the release.
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 12:51

I knew @ 10:06 about this Korgscrew why did it take you 2 hours to post?
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 12:53

Nevertheless, it's only eight weeks!!

But this is really surprising. Maybe the appearence of the web files and some promos, were an idea of Universal to force Mike to let the release as soon as possible, and now this is Mike revenge!
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 13:03

You know what Record companies are like geared up to make a fast buck.
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 13:17

Having made the previous comment I hope Universal Music are spending a reasonable amount of money supporting Mike and promoting this excellent release. I hope Mike is happy with his contract, and his musical appettite continues into future releases
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 13:18

Quote (Nacho @ Sep. 27 2007, 12:53)
Maybe the appearence of the web files and some promos, were an idea of Universal to force Mike to let the release as soon as possible, and now this is Mike revenge!

Sorry but thats utter nonsense, it makes no sense whatsoever (like most conspiracy theories) If people weren't tempted to download it before now its going to become even more tempting because of the longer wait.

We all know after reading Changeling that Mike is reasonably business savvy. He knows fine well the album would sell even more copies if released and promoted before and in the run up to Christmas. I'm sure he wouldn't have delayed it if there weren't very very good reasons. The cogs of promotion are after all well and truly turning.

As for the reason - I have my doubts its because he's expecting a baby. After all he would have known about that months ago, its the sort of thing  most people make plans well in advance about. Also its not as if he was doing a world tour. I'm sure he could of juggled album promotion with being a new dad. Most people after all have to work at the same time as dealing with a new born baby back home.
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 13:37

If you really believe that toby, why isn't he doing it?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 13:59

Quote (leesonar @ Sep. 27 2007, 13:37)
If you really believe that toby, why isn't he doing it?

I've no idea why he isn't doing it ( I presume you mean releasing the album in November? ) but if its because he's having a baby then it doesn't strike me as the best forward planning I've ever heard. Its obviously going to cost him and Universal a lot of money. The lead up to Xmas is thee time to release an album, especially an album like MOTS, January certainly isn't thee time to release an album. Although to be fair they can still promote the album in the run up to Xmas its just a shame there will be no album in the stores for people to buy until the traditionally hung over notoriously dull month of the year that is January.

ps I dare say Universal probably think they could sell the album without Mike's input for promotion. After all enough of MOTS is radio friendly enough to be all over the likes of classic FM and unlike an album like L+S MOTS has a lot of key selling points, Karl Jenkins could presumably do the odd radio and press interview to talk about the project from his point of view.
Anyway I guess they probably had big plans for the albums promotion knowing they have a possible hit on their hands with it.
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 14:16

If you really believe this Toby! why isn't he doing it?
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 14:23

It could be a number of things, baby due, relationship breakdowns, health problems,or just insecurities but that takes us into the grounds of an itinerant hack. But I agree with you entirely Pre Christmas is definitely the best time to release, and I think something serious could be afoot, I wish mike nothing but the best!!

Slainte Mhair
Profile PM 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 14:26

I think Toby made a good point there. We don't know what these "personal reasons" might be, but the first thing that came to my mind is that maybe Mike is having some problems with his health. That would explain this kind of delay. Let's hope it's nothing serious though.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 14:30

very annoying, oh well, we wait some more :/

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 14:32

It's really a shame for the Christmas sales. I might have bought extra copies.

Plus I wan't a CD quality (legal) copy that makes justice to the beautiful music.

Oh well...we'll wait. At least I know I won't be disappointed with this album.  :)

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 14:45

It doesn't seem to be a rational action to take!
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 14:48

Quote (leesonar @ Sep. 27 2007, 17:51)
I knew @ 10:06 about this Korgscrew why did it take you 2 hours to post?

I posted at 17:06...I make that 7 hours...

Well there are several reasons, one being that this site isn't my life and I post here when convenient. Sometimes that means I post in the morning, sometimes it's not until the evening or late at night. That's not going to change.

We knew about this yesterday, and several posts have been made on the forum about it between then and now - including a few responses from me. However, Universal only confirmed the news to me this afternoon and I posted it as soon as they had done. If you can arrange for there to be someone at Universal to answer the phone - or better still, to phone me - more regularly, please do so, it would be very helpful.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 14:55

Korgscrew I for one think you and tubular.net have been doing a fantastic job of keeping us all informed. Thanks!

Wishing Mike and family all the best, whatever the reasons for the delay.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 27 2007, 15:16

I'd underline all of that too.
Profile PM 
129 replies since Sep. 27 2007, 12:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net