Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres release delayed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 12:55

He doesn't have to be terminally ill or anything. If he pushes the whole thing forward eight weeks it's my guess that he's having surgery of some kind. Most of the time they tell you how longs it's going to take to recover. The spine, hip replacement...whatever. He's an old man now!  :D

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 13:59

Clearly there is only one credible answer. He is dying. Or his hands have been chopped off. Or the album has been scrapped. Or Mike is changing sex. Possibly all of these. Thankfully, I know this won't affect his promotion or the album sales. It is, in fact, a fact that due to a rare blood disorder, Mike has not been seen in public since 1974 and uses a body double. And that's a fact. But not a true one.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 14:00

Well, it's more than eight weeks if it's the end of January. It's a bit of a shame of course, whatever buzz has been created will now just die down and initial sales will probably be a lot lower than they could have been. But as has been noted before, the label could have vetoed this and would have if there hadn't been very good reasons to do this. I don't think even a "bigger" artist than Mike could just walk up to the label boss and say, "well, y'know, I don't really feel like releasing the thing just now. Let's push it back a few weeks, will ya?" Especially with an album like MotS that must have been quite expensive to produce.

Anyway... like everyone else of course I hope that nothing is wrong with Mike or his family, or anyone else really.

Hmm, have I said anything here that hasn't been said before? :)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 15:07

It'll be interesting to see if the decision to not release in November by Mike is actually vetoed by the record company, its possible it could be I suppose . The more you think about it the more bonkers it actually becomes - to have a big album ready to sell into what is a niche market but never the less a niche market that traditionally does well in the festive period and for the artist to decide at just about the last minute to wait until January to release it.  I bet Universal aren't happy and probably very confused, just like a lot of fans.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 16:06

...or the panic attacks have striked him again.

We don't wanna rumours,we want something real.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 16:09

Quote (Marky @ Sep. 28 2007, 13:59)
It is, in fact, a fact that due to a rare blood disorder, Mike has not been seen in public since 1974 and uses a body double. And that's a fact. But not a true one.

Hahaha! But there's a grain of truth to that, since Terry Oldfield has said that he doubled for Mike and even did interviews as Mike!

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 16:56

anyone taking bets?

5/1 it's a face lift, 10/1 he wants to be "more of a father this time", 100/1 he's re-writing the whole thing, 1000/1 he's rehearsing an orchestra to take it on the world tour (including my home town)

;)

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
BlueTape Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 17:05

Too many jumping to conclusions, mostly bad, but for the main matter, 2008 will be the year of the music of the spheres!

But for Mikes health, I wish that he and his family are in good health and we all would agree that we wish nothing but the very best for Mike and family!

Maybe the delay is for personal reasons (due to the the leak of the album) that maybe adding something more to Music of the Spheres(not that there is nothing wrong  with it!;)? music video? a remixed version or obviously a nice break away from working with the album

Delay or not, I'm buying a copy soon as it hits the shops!

--------------
my music website
www.bluetape.co.uk
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 17:11

Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 28 2007, 20:07)
I bet Universal aren't happy and probably very confused, just like a lot of fans.

That was certainly the kind of impression I got - I think people involved in promoting these albums get quite excited about it and it's disappointing when they have to call it off.

Like Holger said, there's the problem of how the buzz all dies down. It's a shame they couldn't have brought the release forward - that would have both avoided the problems of Mike trying to do several things at once, and it would have made use of the buzz that's been created. I'd also agree that missing the Christmas period is not a good thing either. It's the kind of album which I think a lot of people would have bought as a present for others.

As for the truth behind the story, I think what we've heard from Universal Italy via the Italian fan club is the best we're going to get. That they've delayed the release for a pregnancy that they've known about since before the album was even recorded if I remember right (didn't Mike mention it in that first Classic FM interview?) seems odd, but clearly they've told us all they want us to know. We can try and gently probe for information, but there are lines I'd not want to cross...and I suspect the chances of getting a better answer than what we already have are, at this time at least, fairly slim.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 17:37

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 28 2007, 17:11)
Like Holger said, there's the problem of how the buzz all dies down. It's a shame they couldn't have brought the release forward - that would have both avoided the problems of Mike trying to do several things at once, and it would have made use of the buzz that's been created. I'd also agree that missing the Christmas period is not a good thing either. It's the kind of album which I think a lot of people would have bought as a present for others.

Its strange since we know record sales and the general success of his records are very important to Mike (thats certainly the conclusion I took away after reading Changeling) Why miss out on all of it? Its also strange since Mike, by his own admission, doesn't like promoting his albums and tends not do tons of it in the first place, certainly here in the UK. I guess he does more in Germany and Spain. Also with todays technology he can do a lot of radio interviews and and telephone interviews from the comfort of his own home, it just doesn't make sense.
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 17:42

Hm...confusing news this is.  :/ Maybe Mike still want to change some detail(s)...maybe some title or something aren't 100% nailed? One can only guess.
Why does Mike have to be able to promote this album?
Isn't there other ppl taking care of that?
L & S wasn't promoted more than a special website with some short samples.

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 18:36

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 28 2007, 17:11)
Quote (TOBY @ Sep. 28 2007, 20:07)
I bet Universal aren't happy and probably very confused, just like a lot of fans.

That was certainly the kind of impression I got - I think people involved in promoting these albums get quite excited about it and it's disappointing when they have to call it off.

:/ Maybe all of this takes part of the promotion ? A kind of strategy ?

Hope you see what i mean ..
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 18:46

maybe it is something wrong with the baby.
That he cant take the chance..
I don't know, and i must confess. I don't really wanna know, all i know it is not the best thing to do; release the album after christmas. I do hope everything is ok.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 28 2007, 21:19

Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 28 2007, 20:46)
I do hope everything is ok.

In the past Fanny did have problems regarding the subject,so...if there's something wrong,Mike as a good hubby and father,should be there with her together.

Hope that everything is ok also with them,crossing fingers here!

Let's respect Michael Gordon Oldfield the human being,who's the person behind Mike Oldfield,the musician we admire    ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 09:13

Promotion continues, but the album will not be released prior to January. Mike is financially secure and isn't worried about money. The health of himself and his family should be paramount, it more important than the 12 musical notes that comprise the musical scales. After all that's all it is Music,Fans realize this,die hards will by the album whenever it is released, who cares! Mike certainly doesn't!
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 12:33

Quote (Korgscrew @ Sep. 28 2007, 10:21)
Quote (leesonar @ Sep. 28 2007, 09:29)
The Record Companies should colate a contact list and the onus should be on them to contact you, via email fax, etc I didn't realize that you were in the position of contacting them.

It's a bit of both. When they feel like announcing something, they get in touch with us...if we want an answer to a question or confirmation of something, we have to get in touch with them. In this instance it seemed that the details had only just been confirmed to them yesterday (though someone at Universal Italy obviously felt it was pretty certain the day before that...) and they'd not got round to getting in touch yet. Still, whether they would have done or not, calling them got us an answer quicker.

We like to get things confirmed before we post them to the front page. If there are interesting rumours flying around, someone will usually post them to the forum somewhere, like happened with this story on Wednesday. In this instance, the source of the story was quite credible, but considering we have our own contact at Universal, it seemed sensible to get in touch with them and check things over. At times when we don't have that kind of contact, sometimes we take the risk and post it anyway, or we may decide that it doesn't look certain enough and so put it in the 'Rumors' section instead (though that hasn't been used for quite a while, and it's currently not feeding the front page - the idea of it was mostly to keep the front page updated regularly even at times when there wasn't much confirmed news). Sometimes stories do get people very excited or indeed very upset and we don't want to be in the position of saying "Remember what we said last week that got you all excited? Well...turns out it was all a complete lie!"
Of course nobody's perfect and I couldn't guarantee that a dodgy story will never make it past credibility control here, but we aim to make the news that appears on the front page as reliable as possible...and for those who like to get the absolute latest gossip, there's the forum.

No, i am not refering to that site, i am talking about Mikes own website, which i understand is run by Fanny.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 12:34

Quote (leesonar @ Sep. 28 2007, 09:54)
QJames Floyd

I Presume you are referring to the official Mike Oldfield information site run by Chris Dewey of Dark star. This is a fan club run site. Chris will update the site when he has information to add, he wont add hearsay or conjecture.

Wrong quote above, i meant this one :D
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 12:42

Clearly there is only one credible answer. He is dying. Or his hands have been chopped off.

Good grief, talk about doom and gloom. The poor guy will be dead and burried the way some of you are carrying on. :O
Profile PM WEB 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Sep. 29 2007, 12:51

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Sep. 28 2007, 21:19)
Quote (Tubularman @ Sep. 28 2007, 20:46)
I do hope everything is ok.

In the past Fanny did have problems regarding the subject,so...if there's something wrong,Mike as a good hubby and father,should be there with her together.

Hope that everything is ok also with them,crossing fingers here!

Let's respect Michael Gordon Oldfield the human being,who's the person behind Mike Oldfield,the musician we admire    ;)

Yes I think some people have gone a bit OTT although there are clearly some tongue in cheek comments here too... I'm just not sure it's really fair to speculate at all.  I received my email from Amazon thisafternoon saying that the delay would mean by CD turns up in early January.  Judging from what I've heard of it I'm prepared to wait, it sounds very promising indeed.
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2007, 05:47

Sorry Qjamesfloyd, so many sites, Mea Culpa, my error!!
Profile PM 
129 replies since Sep. 27 2007, 12:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (7) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net