Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres on its way!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 11 2007, 03:41

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ July 11 2007, 07:23)
A bit like saying "There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't!"

Well, now it's my turn to be puzzled. There's something about all this that doesn't add up.
Profile PM 
Anne in the Rain Offline

Posted: July 11 2007, 05:56

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ July 11 2007, 02:23)
A bit like saying "There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't!"  :D

No! You are wrong! There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't! ;)

By the way, I'm trying really hard not to set my expectations too high about this project. I don't want to be disappointed. But it's quite difficult because everything I've heard about it sounds very promising.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 11 2007, 07:00

Quote (Alan D @ July 10 2007, 17:10)
Quote (larstangmark @ July 10 2007, 21:12)
Quote (The Big BellEnd @ July 08 2007, 17:34)
I really can't stand negativety.

Life is so much easier if you learn to deal with negativity. Most of the time people are negative for a reason.

I can't resist jumping into this conversation - forgive me.

The point is, Lars, that The Big BellEnd has a sense of humour which leads him to make little jokes that can sometimes be easily missed, but which I've always greatly enjoyed. So, when he says 'I really can't stand negativity', he's having a little laugh about making a negative statement about his own negative statement - do you see? As if he were saying 'I hate sentences that begin with the words 'I hate ...''

Unless, of course, he meant no such thing - and then the joke is on me!

Oh, now I get it! I'm just not used to people having a sense of humour. I get to hear comments like that with no irony intended all the time.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 11 2007, 07:02

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 08 2007, 15:30)
One of the criticisms of some of Mike's more recent albums has been that he's been getting too distracted with all his computer toys and that he should concentrate more on the composition...well...that's exactly what this project has let him do - concentrate almost entirely on the composition. No worrying about getting the right sounds, no fiddling with drum loops and virtual vocalists and all that, no relying on preset patterns...just writing music that can be played by real musicians which, reading posts here a few years back, seemed like exactly what fans wanted...Mike working with other musicians again, Mike not using synthesisers, Mike writing long instrumentals again...well he's done all that and this is the result. Whatever he does, someone out there isn't going to like it; it's of course not so fun when that someone is you, but if Mike never did anything that would musically offend one of his fans, he'd never do anything...
I'm reminded of what Freddie Mercury said during Queen's Milton Keynes Bowl concert on the Hot Space tour. Addressing some of the negative comments about the band's change in musical style, he said something along the lines of "It's only a bloody record. People get so excited about these things. We just want to try out a few sounds". Blunt, perhaps, but true. Of course there comes a question of when experiments should be released - I felt, for example, that Light + Shade had a few potentially interesting ideas on it, but that had it been my work, I'd have probably played around with them for a good while longer and made something ultimately very different out of them. That's all very well and good, but sometimes it's actually better to just get things out there and move on...

So...I'm not saying all this means that the album is going to be good, just that I see no evidence that suggests it should be written off at this point. I think it's an interesting thing for Mike to be trying and I'm intrigued to see what happens next...

Hi Welcome back Korgscrew,

As a Queen fan of some 23 years I agree with the comments made by the late great Freddie Mercury about the Hot Space album. HOt Space causes much controversy amongst Queen fans. Yes A Night  At The Opera or A Day At The Races, Queen II It isn't, but that's one of the reasons I love Queen , no one can narrowly catergorise them. YEs HS has it's great songs "Action This Day" , "Las Palabras De Amor (The Words Of Love)", "Life Is Real (Song For Lennon)", and "Under Pressure". Queen have experimented before as in the News Of The World" album, "Fight Form The Inside and "Sheer Heart Attack " (the song not the 1974 album of the same name) are pure Punk, "My Melancholy Blues" makes me think of a late night Jazz Cafe. The John Deacon penned "Another One Bites The Dust" is pure disco, and was a worldwide hit.

I wonder why some people seem to be being a bit harsh on Mike , Music From The Spheres isn't released yet, again I'll reserve judgement until I've heard it. I love/like most of Mike's work, except for his more poppy 80's stuff, and Amarok I haven't really got into,(don't know quite why)  but I can hear some beauty in that. Ommadawn Tubular Bells(1973) , Hergest Ridge, Incantations, TB3, Voyager and TSODE I can't fault at all.  I guess it's a case of you can't please all of the people all of the time.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 11 2007, 15:42

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ July 10 2007, 21:47)
Quote (Velodynamic @ July 10 2007, 22:13)
Oh dear...I can hardly wait.

Me also,and it's time to Mike Oldfield to show off he's not just Tubular Bells and also,the great composer he is.

I'm do hope that he did create a piece that will be timeless like TB!

Yes, absolutely! That's the greatest thing about the time just before a new release...you can dream as much as you want.  :D
I woldn't even cry over a new Amarok, Taurus or why not Mont St Michel. But please, please Mike...no more covers!
Ohpzz...too late.  :p

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 11 2007, 17:27

I've mentioned this before, but it's worth saying here again, that I've often thought that the 'landscape feeling' in some of Mike's music makes me think of Vaughan Williams. Bits of Hergest Ridge seem to come from similar kinds of musical/landscape associations, and also Mont St Michel and Lake Constance. Mike's music is more accessible than the Vaughan Williams, I guess - more romantic, and with an extra spoonful of sugar, but still I've never been able to shake off the similarities.

So now here we have Mike with a full-scale orchestral composition, and I can't help wondering whether it will still have that Vaughan-Williams-ish character even after all these years. While we're waiting to find out, you can do a lot worse than listen to something like VW's 'Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis' (an old, old favourite of mine) that I was playing today. Strongly recommended, and who knows, maybe a good mood-setter for what is to come?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 11 2007, 18:14

There's also a fair amount of Sebelius and Debussy (especially the latter) in Mike's early works. To be honest I think thats where Mike's real genius lies, being able to take classical influences and mix them convincingly with his folk and rock influences. I can't think of a single other contemporary musician or composer who's done like Mike did it with TB, Hergest Ridge etc.

It'll be interesting to see what Mike does end up playing himself on this new album. If its like Mont St Michel with his well arranged acoustic guitar playing but also with piano and vocal parts then I think its got potential to be really special. I agree Mont St Michel was pretty 'sugary' and pretty cliched but it was highly listenable and his guitar playing was superb on it.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 11 2007, 18:45

Quote (TOBY @ July 11 2007, 18:14)
There's also a fair amount of Sebelius and Debussy (especially the latter) in Mike's early works. To be honest I think thats where Mike's real genius lies, being able to take classical influences and mix them convincingly with his folk and rock influences. I can't think of a single other contemporary musician or composer who's done like Mike did it with TB, Hergest Ridge etc.

Agree 100%. You don't recogonize anything Mike has done as classical music. The influences and borrowings are there, but they're subtle.

Sadly, they became less subtle with time. Beginning with the "mock vivaldi" sequence that opens Incantations part 3 (my least favorite part of the album) and getting worse with the blatant (Bach?)-quote in Conflict from QE2.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 03:34

Quote (larstangmark @ July 11 2007, 18:45)
Agree 100%. You don't recogonize anything Mike has done as classical music. The influences and borrowings are there, but they're subtle.

Sadly, they became less subtle with time. Beginning with the "mock vivaldi" sequence that opens Incantations part 3 (my least favorite part of the album) and getting worse with the blatant (Bach?)-quote in Conflict from QE2.

And ending up at the the bottom of the barrel with Lakme on Light and Shade.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 08:22

I don't see anything wrong with the quote in conflict (yes, it's Bach's "Badinerie"), indeed I think it's very clever and humorous. Same with the opening of Inc pt. 3. That's actually a variation on the Ommadawn main theme, if you listen closely.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 11:49

Quote (Holger @ July 12 2007, 08:22)
I don't see anything wrong with the quote in conflict (yes, it's Bach's "Badinerie"), indeed I think it's very clever and humorous. Same with the opening of Inc pt. 3. That's actually a variation on the Ommadawn main theme, if you listen closely.

It's nothing "wrong" with it per se, but it's not exactly discrete. It's more like "Watch out! Here's comes the Bach-bit!".[I] It's not awful or anything, but it's an example of how Mike changed his approach to his influences.

Has anyone seem the Spinal Tap Movie? I'm thinking of a certain song stopping dead to give way for a truly awful "classical insertion"!

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 13:42

Hi All

Just thought you would like to know that VIRGIN MEGASTORES on-line have release date for MOTS as 3rd DECEMBER 2007 !! ...on UNIVERSAL CLASSICS LABEL . It's catagorised as PRIMARY Genre: CLASSICAL and SECONDARY Genre: CHORAL !!!

Link: www.virginmegastores.co.uk/product/791169/Mike_Oldfield__Music_Of_The_Spheres/s.jsf

Regards

Neil
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 13:51

"Number of discs: 0"

:laugh:
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 14:50

Just flicked through this month's MOJO magazine, there is a single side Q and A on Mike which seem's up to date, also given is a release date for MOTS as October 15th.
PS'
to Alan yes you were bang on again about my being negative about negative.
to Larstangmark I did'nt mean to confuse you or anyone else with my silly comment's, it was as Alan said merely a play on word's.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 15:31

Quote (HuanCry @ July 12 2007, 13:42)
Hi All

Just thought you would like to know that VIRGIN MEGASTORES on-line have release date for MOTS as 3rd DECEMBER 2007 !! ...on UNIVERSAL CLASSICS LABEL . It's catagorised as PRIMARY Genre: CLASSICAL and SECONDARY Genre: CHORAL !!!

Link: www.virginmegastores.co.uk/product/791169/Mike_Oldfield__Music_Of_The_Spheres/s.jsf

Regards

Neil

A choral work just in time for christmas. I feel another nightmare scenario coming.  :laugh:

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 16:00

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ July 12 2007, 16:50)
Just flicked through this month's MOJO magazine, there is a single side Q and A on Mike which seem's up to date, also given is a release date for MOTS as October 15th.

Sounds interesting that...scan please!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Jools Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 16:24

Anyone know which orchestra Mike's using for MOTS?

And any "guest" musicians - Haley What's Her Name has been mentioned and I recall Mike invited Aled Jones to sing on it in a radio interview a year or so ago. Has anything come of that invitation I wonder?
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 17:26

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-S....&sr=8-1

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 18:22

Quote (Navaira @ July 12 2007, 17:26)
Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Music-S....&sr=8-1

Hmmm - amazing that there are two sellers purporting to have an album "in stock" that hasn't even been released yet... :/

Also, Amazon lists the release date as 11 May 2007...

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 13 2007, 02:25

"Reading" revealed that it would be recorded on June 6th at the famous studios of Abbey Road in London. According to "Resolution Magazine", it will feature a symphonic orchestra of 86 musicians and a choir. Mike also declared he would play the piano and the Spanish guitar. No eletric guitars will be used.

A film crew has recorded the sessions for Universal Music.

The singer of New Zealand Hayley Westenra is involved beside Karl Jenkins and an orchestra likewise in Mike Oldfield's new album with the title "Music Of The Spheres". The orchestra photographs already took place in the Londoner Abbey Road of studios.

Hayley Westenra is also featured in the project Celtic Woman which is currently touring the US and in September/October in Europe.

;)
Profile PM 
84 replies since July 05 2007, 01:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net