Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres on its way!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 06 2007, 14:05

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ July 05 2007, 03:25)
what does being "mastered" actually involve? ( No S&M jokes please! )

I think that's B&D.  ;)

Thanks to Korgscrew for the detailed description of what goes on during 'mastering'. I was clueless.

As to the title controversy... Is "Music of the Spheres" a worse title than "The Planets" (Holst)? And, since concern over new agey-ness has been brought up, "The Planets" is rather new agey, isn't it, considering the piece was based on astrological, rather than astronomical, concepts. I just don't see the name "Music of the Spheres" as detrimental to the work's success, so it's a non-issue to me.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 06 2007, 14:19

I'm not to concerned about the album's title really, at the end of the day, if the music is amazing everyone won't worry about the title.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: July 06 2007, 16:04

Quote (larstangmark @ July 06 2007, 11:44)
Quote (Tubularman @ July 06 2007, 05:01)
quote: Anyway.. larstangmark.
I think Platinum is a great title   ;)

OK it's not that bad. It works with the cover. But it's very close to self-gratulatory if you're supposed think of platinum sales.

I would like to add that Mike also came upp with two of the greatest album titles ever; Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn. It makes you think where? and what?, and then it makes you want to listen to the record and like it.

it works very well with the cover.
I guess it would not be so good without...
that is true!

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 07 2007, 15:24

Quote (Tubularman @ July 06 2007, 16:04)
it works very well with the cover.
I guess it would not be so good without...
that is true!

He could have used the photo of him in the nude holding an LP like a discus. That would not have worked with the title!  :laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 07 2007, 19:24

As Toby mentioned a page or 2 back - all that Mike had to do here was the composing. It's all the technical studio trickery/wizardry that usually slows him down. Tunes are floating in his head all the time.

And with a room full of trained classical musicians, and an experienced conductor to marshal them, the record time is small. Plus he has technology on his side.

So, I'm really hoping an edition of the new album comes out with the original studio MIDI files, for all you great musicians on this forum to play with.

And, yes, I'm very hopeful that as per TB2 & 3, a premiere performance will be arranged.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: July 08 2007, 04:12

I just can't get excited about it. Sounds like its rushed and am not into concept albums at all. Perhaps I will be proved wrong, I don't know. I have not  heard anything since Tubular Bells 3 that is as good.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 08 2007, 11:30

What makes it sound like it's rushed? He's been collecting his thoughts for the past two years and has been working on it more intensely since he finished his autobiography earlier this year. That's only rushed in the same way that Ommadawn was rushed, or that Amarok was rushed.

I also don't think it's safe to assume that he sat down with a blank piece of paper (or indeed, blank sequencer document) and only begins coming up with ideas from the point where he says "I'm starting work on my new album now". My experience is that most composers have stockpiles of all sorts of little bits and pieces. Some people probably have more than others, and I suppose some use them up more quickly/regularly while others keep them hanging around for years. I'm one of the latter type, and I suppose if I put it all together, I could write an hour long piece within a week, if the right drive was there. That wouldn't, in my opinion, lead to a poor quality rushed sounding piece of music, because most of them are good and carefully considered ideas (I'd not keep them if I didn't like them)...not by default, anyway, it would entirely depend on how I put them together. The same definitely applies to Mike - Amarok used at least a few ideas he'd been sitting on for over 20 years and it's not inconceivable to me that he would have done the same with this latest album.

One of the criticisms of some of Mike's more recent albums has been that he's been getting too distracted with all his computer toys and that he should concentrate more on the composition...well...that's exactly what this project has let him do - concentrate almost entirely on the composition. No worrying about getting the right sounds, no fiddling with drum loops and virtual vocalists and all that, no relying on preset patterns...just writing music that can be played by real musicians which, reading posts here a few years back, seemed like exactly what fans wanted...Mike working with other musicians again, Mike not using synthesisers, Mike writing long instrumentals again...well he's done all that and this is the result. Whatever he does, someone out there isn't going to like it; it's of course not so fun when that someone is you, but if Mike never did anything that would musically offend one of his fans, he'd never do anything...
I'm reminded of what Freddie Mercury said during Queen's Milton Keynes Bowl concert on the Hot Space tour. Addressing some of the negative comments about the band's change in musical style, he said something along the lines of "It's only a bloody record. People get so excited about these things. We just want to try out a few sounds". Blunt, perhaps, but true. Of course there comes a question of when experiments should be released - I felt, for example, that Light + Shade had a few potentially interesting ideas on it, but that had it been my work, I'd have probably played around with them for a good while longer and made something ultimately very different out of them. That's all very well and good, but sometimes it's actually better to just get things out there and move on...

So...I'm not saying all this means that the album is going to be good, just that I see no evidence that suggests it should be written off at this point. I think it's an interesting thing for Mike to be trying and I'm intrigued to see what happens next...
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 08 2007, 11:50

Quote (ian @ July 08 2007, 04:12)
I just can't get excited about it. Sounds like its rushed and am not into concept albums at all. Perhaps I will be proved wrong, I don't know. I have not  heard anything since Tubular Bells 3 that is as good.

To be fair though it doesn't sound like what he's doing is a concept album. Sounds to me like it has a broad theme as its draw for inspiration, doesn't sound like its trying to be a War of the Worlds or The Wall.

What makes or breaks this album will be whether or not Mike can still produce great melodies and really work and develope them, he's certainly been out of practice doing the later for a long time now but I still have great hopes for it.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 08 2007, 16:21

Quote (TOBY @ July 08 2007, 11:50)
What makes or breaks this album will be whether or not Mike can still produce great melodies and really work and develope them, he's certainly been out of practice doing the later for a long time now but I still have great hopes for it.

I am hopeful for this album, mainly because I think Mike's arrangements have been lazy lately. Even if he's had a good idea for a tune, he hasn't bothered to realize its full potential. Someone like Karl Jenkins will most likely put his mark on the material and make the arrangements more complex. It could be really good! I sure hope so.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: July 08 2007, 17:34

I really can't stand negativety.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 08 2007, 20:30

I'm quite glad it's not a double album... with most double albums I end up thinking "somewhere in there is a really amazing single album." There's a few notable exceptions to that though.

Release date and mastering date are not necessarily related, I've known a few people who have had albums wait for months and months before being finally released. It's to do with setting up publicity, getting review copies out to the press so that it's reviewed the week/month before release, and some albums are just more suited to different times of the year. For instance if they get something to release which sounds like it would be a feel-good summer smash hit, they would be unlikely to release it in November. Alternatively quite a lot of introspective records that maybe the record company aren't expecting much from seem to come out in Jan/Feb.

As for Music of the Spheres, I'm going to reserve judgment until I've put the CD back in it's case after the first play.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: July 08 2007, 21:16

a dobbel abum works when they make one studio album and one chill out album. (bonus and take out cd if you like)
If there is going to be a dobbel album, maybe like Light and shade, then i feel i need to hear 2 very different sounds. I think L&S dont have that. But it is good music.

It just a bloody album  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
RaWi Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 11:00

I will hope to have a chance to listen before buy. I don't like to give money for nothing. And the last works...boring! The games a shame. Sometimes it sounds to me: The area Mike O. is over now...
Look at his webby. A shame! No one do care about. And he is bloody rich, he can pay someone to do the webby. :(

Ralf
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 12:58

Mike is still a genious but he is a very curious person so he want to try new things. I guess the techno area is not 100% good stuff, but i do like his chill out music and it works very well for me. (just like "first steps" and "angelique") Wonderful pieces.
But i do agree 100% on you words about his site. It really sucks...  :(  No news, nothing....

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 16:12

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ July 08 2007, 17:34)

Life is so much easier if you learn to deal with negativity. Most of the time people are negative for a reason.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 17:10

Quote (larstangmark @ July 10 2007, 21:12)
Quote (The Big BellEnd @ July 08 2007, 17:34)

Life is so much easier if you learn to deal with negativity. Most of the time people are negative for a reason.

I can't resist jumping into this conversation - forgive me.

The point is, Lars, that The Big BellEnd has a sense of humour which leads him to make little jokes that can sometimes be easily missed, but which I've always greatly enjoyed. So, when he says 'I really can't stand negativity', he's having a little laugh about making a negative statement about his own negative statement - do you see? As if he were saying 'I hate sentences that begin with the words 'I hate ...''

Unless, of course, he meant no such thing - and then the joke is on me!
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 20:13

Oh dear...I can hardly wait.
Honestly I really hope things are'nt happening too fast here... :p
But maybe it's some sort of new karma for Mike -deliver to the maximum while you're in the middle of a creative brainstorm?
Sigh...well I'm just so happy that Mike O. is still playing.  ;)
"Music Of The Spheres", much better than Tubular Balls. :D

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 20:46

hmm many unknown emotions you got there..
:cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 10 2007, 21:47

Quote (Velodynamic @ July 10 2007, 22:13)
Oh dear...I can hardly wait.

Me also,and it's time to Mike Oldfield to show off he's not just Tubular Bells and also,the great composer he is.

I'm do hope that he did create a piece that will be timeless like TB!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: July 11 2007, 02:23

Quote (Alan D @ July 10 2007, 17:10)
The point is, Lars, that The Big BellEnd has a sense of humour which leads him to make little jokes that can sometimes be easily missed, but which I've always greatly enjoyed. So, when he says 'I really can't stand negativity', he's having a little laugh about making a negative statement about his own negative statement - do you see? As if he were saying 'I hate sentences that begin with the words 'I hate ...''

A bit like saying "There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't!"  :D

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
84 replies since July 05 2007, 01:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net