Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music Of The Spheres on Australian Channel 7< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 16 2008, 09:06

Oh my God, I just heard snippets from Music of the Spheres being played during a montage of highlight footage of the Olympics Games. (South Australia, Channel 7, Saturday Night, Aug 16, 10:15pm) It was a segment about swimmers. The first piece I heard was from the track Shabda.

It made me cry and Michael laughed at me.

No, I was so excited that Michael laughed at me, and that made me cry. What a bastard he is! It's not like this stuff happens every day in the life of a Mike Oldfield devotee.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2008, 10:32

you'd thought he would have understood by now...

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2008, 10:37

Set the ferrets on him Tracey!

Distinct lack of Oldfield music backing anything on TV in the UK. BBC have been playing the same Gorillaz snippet over and over. Mind you, it's based on their Monkey opera so it's OK.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 16 2008, 12:29

If you want to interpret that mildly, maybe Mike Oldfield's music does turn us into funny little idiots against our will. :)

But I do get all warm, tingly and fuzzy when I hear familiar music in an unfamiliar environment. But it's really weird when you're listening to music and notice you have already heard that before, on TV or such; on the first listen to Kraftwerk's Der Telefon-Anruf, I realised a local TV station used it on a telephone-related advert. Pretty crazy.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2008, 14:11

Well it is even rarer in Australia to hear MO music on TV than it is in England I'm sure.

You know I was so upset that my Michael was not impressed that I rang my sister to tell her and she said, "So"

I have been obsessed about this guy for 36 years now since I was 12, but yet, they still don't understand.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2008, 17:36

I guess thats really because its your obsession... they don't really have any common ground with you on it, and you can't expect them to be interested if they just aren't.

That said, there's no need from your family to be horrible about it either, but still. We understand, that's what we're here for - they're in your life for other reasons.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2008, 21:24

Tracy, this obviously wasn't a one-off thing. Last night while waiting for the 100m race they played Harbinger during a segment about a 67 year old Japanese equestrian competitor. It was a long segment, so they pretty much played the entire track. I was quite surprised.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2008, 00:24

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 16 2008, 14:11)
I have been obsessed about this guy for 36 years now since I was 12, but yet, they still don't understand.

It's not their fault, really. There are lots of things about people in general that I can't understand, either, even if I try. Some people don't know how it is to be so uncannily connected to a musician and relate so powerfully to him...

(... actually I don't, either. I only have a certain notion)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2008, 08:59

Given that the symbol of the Olympics is 5 rings, the screamingly obvious music to play would have been Tr3s Lunas! Perhaps a version of "Moonlight Stroll" tranced up to Olympic speed!
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 17 2008, 13:53

Channel 7, the official Australian broadcaster of the Beijing Olympics, used Music of the Spheres as backing music when doing a review of Michael Phelps' 8 medals. They played most of Prophecy, On My Heart Reprise and repeats of certain sections. They also played Harbinger behind the salute to a Japanese equestrian participant, who competed in the Olympics 44 years ago.

Thanks, Anthony Kunkel and TubularBelle
Profile PM 
TEP Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2008, 04:02

Cloth-eared nincompoops! ;)
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2008, 00:26

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 16 2008, 12:24)
Tracy, this obviously wasn't a one-off thing. Last night while waiting for the 100m race they played Harbinger during a segment about a 67 year old Japanese equestrian competitor. It was a long segment, so they pretty much played the entire track. I was quite surprised.

Yeh I read about this in the Amarok Mailing List but I missed it. I wonder if there were any other snippets but according to Olivier, maybe not. Sounds like I named the wrong track though.

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2008, 08:14

Quote (TEP @ Aug. 18 2008, 04:02)

Cloth-eared nincompoops! ;)

You know, I do think it's possible to be an extremely cool person while not liking Mike Oldfield at all really. Am I a bastard or something?

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 19:56

Most definitely.

--------------
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 20:04

Quote (arron11196 @ Aug. 16 2008, 08:36)
I guess thats really because its your obsession... they don't really have any common ground with you on it, and you can't expect them to be interested if they just aren't.

That said, there's no need from your family to be horrible about it either, but still. We understand, that's what we're here for - they're in your life for other reasons.

You know , I do agree with you about not expecting family and friends to be interested and that's why we have these forums etc. I have actually had a few upsets with family and friends recently over practically telling me to shut up when I talk about my ferrets. I don't do things by half, anything I love, I love 100%, including my family, but it hurts when they tell you they don't find you interesting, in fact, quite monotonous.

But you are right, that's what you are here for, can I have your phone number?

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2008, 01:48

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Aug. 22 2008, 08:14)
...it's possible to be an extremely cool person while not liking Mike Oldfield at all really. Am I a bastard or something?

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 25 2008, 19:56)
Most definitely.

LOL. I'm almost 100% sure TubularBelle didn't mean that the way it sounds.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2008, 12:25

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 26 2008, 01:04)
Quote (arron11196 @ Aug. 16 2008, 08:36)

You know , I do agree with you about not expecting family and friends to be interested and that's why we have these forums etc. I have actually had a few upsets with family and friends recently over practically telling me to shut up when I talk about my ferrets. I don't do things by half, anything I love, I love 100%, including my family, but it hurts when they tell you they don't find you interesting, in fact, quite monotonous.

But you are right, that's what you are here for, can I have your phone number?

Dude (or dudette, depending on your etiquette preference), you really shouldn't let them get to you. Remember the saying... you can choose your friends (like us Oldfieldites) but not your flesh and blood.

I've often found some particular members of my own family to be unforgiving, cruel, violent, emotionally inept, and general sods. It's what they do. I like to think of it like they're there to provide you with a blueprint for what not to be - most times it works.

I understand about the monotonous thing. You know, because I like Oldfield, I'm not "cool". Most "cool" people don't have time for me either. I just accept it. I remember that I choose not to value myself on how much I am like everyone else... and that I prefer to look at things with a reasoned balanced attitude (where possible) instead of going with whatever Ms Jones' is doing.

Its just like your family. If they don't find you interesting... so what? Do you really care that much if they aren't prepared to listen?

Maybe you just invest too much care in them. Maybe you could find some more Oldfieldians close to you.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2008, 12:54

Quote (Sweetpea @ Aug. 26 2008, 01:48)
LOL. I'm almost 100% sure TubularBelle didn't mean that the way it sounds.

I do hope so, but I did sound a bit mean. However, I'd rather say it here up front and to the face than insult a horde of absolutely unknown people for their musical preference. :)

Re: the family thing. I think I learned to accept family for what it is, and learn to deal with the fact that they simply don't care about things that are important to me. I wouldn't sit down during lunch and talk for hours on end about programming, xkcd comic strips or favourite Internet memes. They wouldn't be interested, and they'd probably tell me to shut up. Would it be cruel? Maybe - it's what proximity and intimacy does. But the positive side is that, if I were to do that to a friend or an acquaintance who is too nice and polite, I'd probably bore him to tears without noticing and without meaning. :)

Of course I'd have lots of fun discussing Amarok in detail with someone in person, live, there and then. It would be awesome. But that's out of reach, and I can't have anything. There's always something else to discuss, and you always share common interests with anyone - no matter how tiny an interest it is.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2008, 14:54

Talking of Mike on TV and suchlike, and concidering MOTS has been a massive hit in the classical chart's.
It would have seemed to me an ideal time for Mike to have been given a slot in this year's Prom's.
To our friend's that may not know, the Prom's are classical concert's held right through the summer at the Royal Albert Hall culminating into the Last Night of The Proms. This event is screened nation wide, live on the TV in the UK with live link up's to concert's being held outdoor's in diifferent town's all over the British Isles,
personally I would have loved it.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2008, 18:27

The Proms ...Absolutely! I think this was talked of somewhere on here at about the same time ( maybe? I can't quite remember ) last year, and I think it would be THE perfect place to let The Music of the Spheres be heard.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
20 replies since Aug. 17 2008, 13:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net