Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres is here!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AlexR Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 04:56

With iTunes, you can burn your album to a CDR in regular CD audio, and then rip it back using the ripping software of your choice.
Profile PM 
Ciderginaspro Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 07:07

Hi,

Music Of The Spheres + Live at Bilbao are on sale on I Tunes Belgium.
Don't have downloaded it yet; I'm waiting to be back home tonight.

have a nice day,
Claire :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 15:58

My copy has just arrived,sooo fast,it was shipped last Saturday and now it's here!

Let's listen to it...Yippieeeeeee \o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 16:36

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 20 2008, 20:58)
My copy has just arrived,sooo fast,it was shipped last Saturday and now it's here!

Sorry Tati,

They made a mistake and instead of music of the spheres with maestro Mike Oldfield, you got an unpublished copy of Bee Gees singing covertracks from John Denver´s repertoire.

:p
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 19:13

Quote (AlexR @ Mar. 20 2008, 10:56)
With iTunes, you can burn your album to a CDR in regular CD audio, and then rip it back using the ripping software of your choice.

I did. It came out with horrible gaps. Ripped it back on my HD, burned it again with Nero (0 seconds pause), removed the ending frames from all files - gaps still there. Absolute crap. :(

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 19:25

Oh, the joys of crossfading and indexing...

If anyone is so inclined (and a lot of you probably know this), you can run albums like this through Windows Movie Maker and encode them as one long audio track-or as many tracks as you see fit.  I did this with TB2, TB2003, TSODE, MOTS and a bunch of Pink Floyd albums.  You lose some fidelity (from 192kbps to 160), but it's nothing too painful.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 19:54

It seems I'm going to have to say again not to offer copies of Music of the Spheres, including the live tracks, here...especially not for sale (I've deleted the relevant posts).

I understand how the way they've offered them is causing frustration for some, but you do have to be aware that there are representatives of the record company watching here, and they're going to start being very nasty to us if they see things like that going on...

Regarding burning CDs, have you made sure you've told iTunes that the tracks are part of a gapless album? I haven't actually tried burning them to CD, but I did notice that they arrived with the 'part of a gapless album' unchecked. I'll give it a try and see what happens...
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 20:17

@ Richard: sorry about that. The 'sale' thing was supposed to be a joke, which I would have explained to whoever sent me a PM. Anyway, I was going to delete my own post after discovering that my copy came out crappy, but I forgot. I'm glad that you did delete it. :)
About mastering: thanks for the tip. ;) My version of iTunes seems not to have a 'gapless album' box, but I did find a box in the "Mastering Preferences" tab which allowed me to specify pauses between tracks...

--------------
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 07:07

I have bought a copy of the CD from Play.com [ sadly no signed copy for me ], listening to it ' a lot '  ;) (a little ocd never hurt anyone!! ) and I have put it into my itunes library. When I listen on my ipod though, I really cringe when I get to those pauses and want to remove them if possible. Someone I know has mentioned Nero, and I see it mentioned here too. And there's me thinking he was a Roman Emperor!! Now as I am not at all technically minded is there something really simple I can do to hear it as though on a cd? Do I have to find Nero??!!

I hope to download the live version from itunes when I have spare money!! I hear it's very good and worth having.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 07:43

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 20 2008, 21:58)

What the....? Mine was posted last friday and it still hasn't arrived! (and you life even further away from Jersey than me Tati.) Bloody shipments.... My bad luck has become so much that I fear I even haven't got a signed copy....

But I'm glad for you though, and for all the fans who have it!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 21 2008, 10:29

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Mar. 21 2008, 09:43)
What the....? Mine was posted last friday and it still hasn't arrived! (and you life even further away from Jersey than me Tati.) Bloody shipments.... My bad luck has become so much that I fear I even haven't got a signed copy....

But I'm glad for you though, and for all the fans who have it!

Amazon.co.uk's service is very good,even on the cheaper shipping option to Brazil.I couldn't have a try on Play.com since they don't ship to Brazil.Pity.

Last Wednesday,I was at my local Fnac store,and there wasn't any sinal of MOTS,I was way too depressed that day,"Gosh,being a MO fan in Brazil it's so hard!".But yesterday,my copy was here!

Hope that you copy arrives soon,and fingers crossed to get a signed copy  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 07:09

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 20 2008, 19:13)
Quote (AlexR @ Mar. 20 2008, 10:56)

I did. It came out with horrible gaps. Ripped it back on my HD, burned it again with Nero (0 seconds pause), removed the ending frames from all files - gaps still there. Absolute crap. :(

Hi,

It's NOT crap - it's that the general requirement for music is to have gaps between songs.

There are options within iTunes to overridethe default behaviour whenever you want - all you need to do is:

(1) Open iTunes
(2) Make a playlist with the MOTS tracks
(3) Go into the preferences (Edit -> Preferences)
(4) Click the "Advanced" tab
(5) Click the "Burning" tab
(6) Change the "Gap between songs" value to "None"
(7) Click "OK"
(8) Go to the MOTS playlist and seect "Burn disc"

The end result is a smooth copy which can then be ripped to MP3 for use on other devices.

Sorry for the abruptness of the above but I get fed up with people blaming software for their problems when software developers include all the advanced features for people who are in a minority. 95% of all iTunes users download songs which are not supposed to run together. It's not as if the settings are hard to find either.

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 09:37

Quote (Ginger Daddy @ Mar. 22 2008, 07:09)
It's not as if the settings are hard to find either.

Thank you Ginger Daddy, this is exactly what I needed to know. And it's so simple, I feel so, so stupid that I didn't know how to correct it. Will be listening to my ipod later today ~ hearing the album, just as it was inteneded to be heard.

bee :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 22 2008, 10:32

@ Terry: thanks very much. This was the first time that I ever burnt a CD directly from within iTunes, so I didn't even mind to check out the "Gap between songs" tab, as I (incorrectly) assumed  that iTunes knew that it was going to be a gapless album (it didn't, of course). The problem is, now, that I haven't got the original m4p files any longer... I thought that the flaw was in the files (not in the software), and I deleted them all. So I've got to buy them again, and right now I'm not able to, as I went over my credit card's expenditure limit - I had a 1100 € roof, I went right through it without even realizing. And iTunes won't allow me to buy anything up to April 1. :( I guess I'll only have to wait...

--------------
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 20:52

I live in America where, as the rest of the worlds music community knows, we don't get anything worth listening to!  

I've hassled iTunes and asked them repeatedly to bring MoTs + Live at Bilbao to the US store.  But, as usual, they refer me to a request a song form, which doesn't really do any good!  I've blasted them by email several times explaining that I'm sick and tired of being teased with the ability to view other iTunes stores,b ut not being able to buy from them!  I explained over an over that they are forcing people to look into illegal forms of downloading when they want to pay and that THEY, iTunes and the record companies, are responsible for this move!!!  I've bought 5 hard copies of the CD from Amazon.com and am willing to purchase another copy from the iTunes store just to have the LIVE version!  

When the record companies and iTunes block me from obtaining a product legally... then it is not my fault nor will I feel any guilt about pirating!!!  

The record companies and iTunes practices should NOT be tolerated EVER!!!!!!  They do this all the bloody time to me coz America has a narrow idea of what music really is... just log onto the US iTunes store and look at our top songs and albums... you'll understand!!!!!!!  

Thank you to everyone for reading my rant of irritation!!!

Hugs to all

Cheers,
Chris
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 23:22

I understand your frustration, Chris.

The US release of Music of the Spheres is scheduled for tomorrow (the 25th) on Decca. I have no information on the iTunes release, but I think they'd be silly to not release the live recording on the US iTunes as well.

Unfortunately there's not a whole lot Apple can do about the situation, short of pressuring the record companies to change how they operate. Until they're granted a licence to distribute Music of the Spheres in the USA, it's illegal for them to sell it.

This is what copyright means - right to copy. It's the copyright owner's right to say who can and can't do it. They own the work and if they don't want you to have it, that's their choice (just in the same way that you don't have to sell your property to people you don't want to own it).
I don't think the way they only licence the work for sale in certain markets is either fair or sensible (they really are just asking for people to pirate it, considering how much hype they generate for these products - they must know how it spreads worldwide), but they're entitled to do it. It's daft - if you can import a CD from abroad, why can't you import a digital file? They're able to make various legal distinctions between the two, of course, but looked at from the buyer's level, it's just silly. You'd think that they'd have learned that people pirate things more when they can't buy them (and when they can't buy them for a reasonable price).

I'd suggest hassling the people at Decca, rather than Apple, if the live album isn't released in the US alongside the studio recording. I think it's become very clear to us recently that showing them that there's an interest from fans in certain things does work - it's seemed like sometimes they really don't consider that people might want things which seem really obvious to us.
I'll also see if I can have a prod from this end, but I doubt I'll have any joy before Tuesday.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 23:46

Thank you Korgscrew for your words of encouragement!  Thank you for seeing what you can do to help the situation!  I really appreciate it!  I will prod Decca to see if I can make a difference.  I feel that having purchased 5 copies of MoTs they owe me a LIVE recording for free... I am still willing to pay though.  I'm giving them away as gifts for birthdays and of course I bought myself a copy too ;-)  

Along with this topic... my album comes out at the end of 2008... probably December.  If it doesn't get distributed in all countries on all iTunes... I've already made it very clear to the powers that be that I will personally pirate my own music onto Torrents and P2P networks... and there will be no room for debate!  I'm expected a lawsuit on the matter before 2009 is up :-P  

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Chris
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 10:00

I've just burned a new CD out of the live files, and it came out perfect... even better than Nero. :) Thanks very much to Terry for the tip, & thanks very much to Sweetpea for the other tip on how to recover lost files. (I wrote to Apple, they responded very promptly. :cool:)

@ Christopher: PM me. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 13:58

Just received my copy from Play.com, and indeed it was signed with silver marker on front cover - happy days!
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2008, 19:23

I ordered a CD from Megastore - a swedish net store.
But yet to this day they haven't got it!
WTF'ranklin is going on now?  :/

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
119 replies since Mar. 16 2008, 22:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net