Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres is here!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ProjectZ Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 09:59

Quote (Fine_old_Tom @ Mar. 17 2008, 15:46)
Hello Tubular.net folks! This is a brilliant site - my number one Oldfield point of reference!

Welcome  :)
Quote (Fine_old_Tom @ Mar. 17 2008, 15:46)
Belgium and I-Tunes........ grrrrrrrrrrrrr.... No Spheres was bad enough, but no MotS today is beyond a joke.

yes, I know  :(

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 10:02

yup, it's just arrived.  Now then was it worth the wait?  No, it can't be worth the wait.  But is it any good?  Mmmm.....  I'll have to come back on this one, it's certainly easy listening...
Do modern CD's always come with loads of adverts inside, by the way? ringtones, websites and the like?  It's so long since I've bought a CD..
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 10:32

MIKE HAS JUST BEEN ON UK SKY NEWS !!!!!!!!!

I thought they were not going ahead with it due to that damn Heather Mills giving a press interview !!!!

He was in the studio and was first asked his view on Mills & Paul McCartney divorce : 'Obviously Paul made a mistake' I COULDN'T AGREE MORE MIKE !!!!

Next item for discussion : MOTS

Reasons for leaving UK:

Mike's Answer : Stuck on Motorway for 6 hrs in during the floods , smoking ban & wish for Sunny Climes

Next Project : None ... Could be last ...retirement OR 2yr break then either another orchestral album OR MAYBE A HEAVY METAL ALBUM !!!! 'You never know with me'

YES YES YES !!! MIKE A HEAVY METAL ALBUM PLEASE BUT NEXT WEEK NOT 2YRS TIME !!!  :D
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 10:58

Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 17 2008, 16:32)
Next Project : None ... Could be last ...retirement OR 2yr break then either another orchestral album OR MAYBE A HEAVY METAL ALBUM !!!! 'You never know with me'

I'd be very happy with either option. :)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 11:07

Or maybe an orchestral album with electric guitars ? !!!  :D
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 11:23

Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 17 2008, 16:32)

Hmm, he could be seriously thinking of retirement... usually in interviews for a new release he talks more about his forthcoming projects than the new release...
on the other hand a 2 year break is a normal time between two albums...
and what it may be indeed you never know with Mike

Project_ :zzz:

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 11:34

Well I can remember Mike being interviewed by Johnny Walker on the radio when TSODE was released and he talked about packing it all in then.Pretty sure he said something similar when Islands came out also.After which he put out four albums in five years no less.Think it`s just Mike being his old enigmatic self again really.But in his defence I don`t think anybody likes having their whole future mapped out in front of them..

That said I`ll now be looking forward to his forthcoming heavy metal project with baited eardrums..   :p
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 11:43

Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 17 2008, 16:34)
But in his defence I don`t think anybody likes having their whole future mapped out in front of them..

and as others have pointed out in the past, Mike has already produced such a vast and varied archive for us we really have no right to expect any more. Anything further he decides to make I think I'll just think of as an unexpected bonus. Hopefully another great unexpected bonus like MOTS!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
gbcrvh Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 11:49

Heavy metal album  :laugh:  :laugh: That would be really crazy.  I just tried to imagine TB tune in heavy edition  :laugh:  :laugh:

Anyway, I was on business trip today to Leipzig and I just got back to hotel with my copy of MOTS.  Wheeeee!
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 12:24

Just Heard it about 3 times on Replay... Kicks off with that Big TB1 Riff.. Sort of like a Super Deluxe Version.. Its Hard to comment on a long piece like this without repeated listens.. Sounds good on the Hi Fi though.. Hayley Westerna is a Bit Sugary for me though.. Id of Liked a Male Vocalist to give the Album a bit of a Kick at that point.. someone like josh groban. Overall though it sounds Good..   Time will tell how good it really is.. :cool:  Prophecy sounds like "A World in Union" in places  .. SilHouette  like some Medival Film Score.. Harbinger well TB1 tarted up..

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 12:28

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 17 2008, 11:43)
Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 17 2008, 16:34)
But in his defence I don`t think anybody likes having their whole future mapped out in front of them..

and as others have pointed out in the past, Mike has already produced such a vast and varied archive for us we really have no right to expect any more. Anything further he decides to make I think I'll just think of as an unexpected bonus. Hopefully another great unexpected bonus like MOTS!

Well I agree with you there,Mike certainly now has a vast back catalogue of treasures that`s for sure.He said as much himself in fact during that interview with Johnny Walker I mentioned way back in 1994.So in some respects (for me anyway) Every album Mike has released over these last ten years and more has kind of appeared to me as a bonus as such.

I was really just trying to highlight the fact that Mike has been "retiring" for an awfully long time now.And that contrary to what Project Z was mentioning there.Imo Mike has been known to talk about retiring during times that he`s got a new project on the go.Maybe not always I`ll admit,but it certainly isn`t unknown.Now what people want to take from that is entirely up to them.But whilst I agree with what you are saying entirely.I don`t think anybody here would be anything less than saddened if indeed Mike was ever to truly retire from making music.Apologies if I`m wrong there but as you say we can always hope for another unexpected bonus.      :)
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 12:39

Quote (Dirk Star @ Mar. 17 2008, 17:28)
Apologies if I`m wrong there but as you say we can always hope for another unexpected bonus.      :)

I think you are absolutely right. You never quite know what Mike is going to do next. I think I'm just trying to explain my own attitude to possible future works from him. Mainly trying not to raise my own expectations!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 13:07

Quote (Ginger Daddy @ Mar. 17 2008, 09:34)
My wife told me that my copy from Play.com arrived this morning.

She says that the artwork on the front of the CD cover has been ruined by a big silver smudge. It seems that some of Mike's signatures may have been a bit rushed as it is not recognisable as his signature.

Yup... I got a signed copy!!!!  :D
But the signature is smudged and unrecognisable and the booklet is ripped along the seam.  :(

However, the music sounds fantastically clear! I have listened to the full album previously from downloaded mp3 files and this sounds so much better. Clearer and with less resonance and fuzziness.

Fantastic!

Ratings:
Audio quality - 5/5
Package Quality - 3/5
Music Quality (the actual choons) - 4/5

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 13:08

A 2yr break would let Eugene to grow up a bit more and be more independent.

Since Mike is a box full of secrets,we'll never know what's next from him :)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 13:24

Quote (Ginger Daddy @ Mar. 17 2008, 18:07)
Quote (Ginger Daddy @ Mar. 17 2008, 09:34)
My wife told me that my copy from Play.com arrived this morning.

She says that the artwork on the front of the CD cover has been ruined by a big silver smudge. It seems that some of Mike's signatures may have been a bit rushed as it is not recognisable as his signature.

Yup... I got a signed copy!!!!  :D
But the signature is smudged and unrecognisable and the booklet is ripped along the seam.  :(

However, the music sounds fantastically clear! I have listened to the full album previously from downloaded mp3 files and this sounds so much better. Clearer and with less resonance and fuzziness.

Fantastic!

Ratings:
Audio quality - 5/5
Package Quality - 3/5
Music Quality (the actual choons) - 4/5

Cheers,
Terry.

Mine arrived this morning as well from play.com - a signed copy too! The signature's a bit 'blobby' though as it's done in one of those fat silver marker pens, so it doesn't read all that well.
Sorry to hear your booklet was damaged. Mine's in reasonable shape apart from some light smudging on the back (looks like a partial fingerprint - Mike's perhaps?). It does seem as if the signings were done in a rather hasty/slapdash manner!
I'm chuffed to bits with my copy nevertheless and the music is just sublime  :cool:

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 14:03

I got mine from Play but not signed. Not really bothered.

The music...?

Well, on first listen....Tubular Bells riff again and again and again with some repetetive bits and nothing really standing out except the nice bass riff on Musica Universalis. I like that piece. Sorry but this isn't standing out as anything groundbreaking. There is no way you can compare this to Amarok, Hergest, Tubular or Ommadawn. Its highly polished and a bit John Williams'y (Suggary film composer) in places.

Sorry, it doesn't move me like the wonderful stuff he has produced in the early days but thats just my opinion. I will give it a few more listens and see but having listened to a lot more diverse and minimal composers  like Terry Riley, Steve Riech, Phillip Glass, Brian Eno, Stars Of The Lid, Loscil etc etc I find over sweet and quite shallow music like this hard to listen to.

Personaly I don't think Mike has ever eclipsed the supprise and rawness of Amarok.
Profile PM WEB 
jayjay16428 Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 14:12

Got my copy of  "Music of The Sphere's" today from Play.com and guess what? I recieved one of the 200 signed copies!! Just in time for my birthday on the 21st!! What a great day! Played it 4 times already. Nice one Mike!! :cool:
Profile PM 
Titi Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 16:21

Great front page " dedicated to St Patrick's Day " !
It's a grant Pint !

Cheers from Paris

Titi :cool:
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 17:09

Quote (Ginger Daddy @ Mar. 17 2008, 15:34)
if the signature is unrecognisable does that mean I've just got hold of a 'defaced' version which is worth even less than just a normal copy ;)

That really sounds like Mikes signature to me!

I´m waiting for my copy to arrive tomorrow.

:laugh:

Edited by manintherain on Mar. 17 2008, 17:10
Profile PM 
darkstar_ab Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 17:15

Glad i waited to listen to the official release....
InSPHERational !!! Love it! :D
Profile PM WEB 
119 replies since Mar. 16 2008, 22:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net