Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Music of the Spheres is here!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
captainjjb Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 17:16

he's already done a heavy metal tubular bells - the exposed version!
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 17:25

Exposed isn't heavy metal. Its Prog Rock.
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 17:44

Hello everyone, Happy St Pat's day and happy new Mike Oldfield album day.  Been at work all day, just in to find that my order from Play.com has arrived and it's one of the signed copies.  I've also just gone onto iTunes and bought the live album thing as well, i must be mad, if my girlfriend finds out she'll kill me.   :)  :)
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 17:44

Listening a second time I am hearing things more that I like. I like the vocal xylophone/phrase reminiscent of his older days in (Shabda). Its a shame, for me,  it doesn't go on longer.

I think I need to listen a bit more to give it a fair chance. Perhaps I was being a bit too harsh in the begining.
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 17:57

No signed copy for me - but it was a long shot and happy to hear of those that did get one.

There seem to be so many moments with MOTS where I'm thinking - "Oh, that's quoted from somewhere, but where?"

Overall, a damn fine album. I guess i can be taken as shallow on one level when heard in the background. But put the lights down and headphones on, a verty differwent album emerges for me.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 18:15

No Signed Copy for me either.. My Bribe wasnt big enough !!
Id say the 3 Most Interesting Tks on the Album are
9 PROPHECY
13 EMPYREAN
14 MUSICA UNIVERSALIS       Thank god its on CD and you can Skip the Tks..  yeah Part 2 is best id say.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Burning Fish Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 19:02

I like Part 1 the most, but the live version of Part 2 is really stunning, especially Empyrean.

--------------
"Lemon curry?"
Profile PM WEB 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 19:28

Waiting all those months without knowing a piece of it... Just reading comments from time to time at this forum...

But now The Time Has Come: I finally got my MOTS-CD from Amazon.

What shall I say? I've already listened to it 3 times and I think it's really marvellous! Thank you so much Mike, you finally did something I had always hoped you would do some day: Writing a piece of classical orchestral music! The dream has come true - the masterpiece is born (even in co-operation with classical wonderboy Lang Lang!;) and the melodies have already taken possession of my heart and mind to remain there and become a part of what I call the everlasting soundtrack of my life.

Of course, like some of you already said here, there are several references to TB especially Harbinger and the first half of Musica Universalis. Obviously, for some of you that means a lack of creativity. I can only speak for myself. I've always liked discovering familiar patterns when I listen to a new piece of music. I often had this effect while listening to film soundtracks but also to pieces of "real" classical music and of course it appeared with Mike's music, too. It's a little bit a feeling of "coming home" (maybe that sounds silly) and I like it. I also think that even none of the great composers is totally free of that "repeating effect".

Just recognize it and say with a smile: "Oh yes, that's him.... that's typical.... Oldfield!!!    ;)

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 20:29

the hole live version is Great - thumbs up MO
Profile PM 
Duggeh Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 21:21

Is the Live version available in lossless?

--------------
http://www.thismanwillkillyou.com
http://www.last.fm/user/Dougmac21
Profile PM WEB 
BlueTape Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 22:06

This is a perfect birthday present to have .. was so chuffed to buy this today..got mine at Morrisons lol

Thanks Mike!! and to everyone involved, excellent work

i did have the leaked version, even did a nice remix of one of the tracks

--------------
my music website
www.bluetape.co.uk
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 22:25

Finally i can hold the album in my hands. The moment was quite special. Today i arrived the store and asked for MOTS. He was very unsure... But he is just a boy working there because i know the boss there. And then suddenly i stare at the top 40 wall. On the 21 place The Music of the Spheres was there!!! Mike Oldfield on the wall in the store in Norway!!!!  That is quite uniqe. Always when he had release with the album in the past i could almost not found it.
But now.. :) On the top 40 wall!

Great  :cool:

Now i can finally enjoy this lovely work in real.
My favorite songs is:
Harbinger (amazing and dramatic, i love the moment in 2.24)
Animus (maybe the best track, the choir is such a lovely moment, the guitar have a lovely part of it. Fav part is the piano part at 1:10)
Silhouette (another pearl in this piece of wonderful work. From 2.40 it remians me of something he have done before, but im not sure where i got it from. Lovely strings anyway..)
Shabda (this track is powerful and the choir is just amazing. This is what i love with Mike. He is such a master. How do he make a track that move me so deeply? )
On my heart (of course it is one of my fav!! I don't know any vocal songs of him taht i dont like. This is just magical and full of emotions. The beginning sounds like Tears from an angel ;) )
Harmonia Mundi (this track have almost made me cry many times. hes touch on the guitar is quite intense. The track give me a deep feeling of good emotions. I love it.

All in all; i love this album very much. I have my belive in Mike. I always had and i will always do. He do everything very good.
But this album have more, it has; touch, atmosphere and the atmospheric mood is the same all the way. It has the red line. The guitar and piano lead you to the lovely climax that ends in the Musica Univeralis.
Great Mike.

It is such a honour to be a fan of you.
That is why im the Tubular man.  :D

ps: if my english was not so bad i could tell more about my feelings around the listening.
If this lovely picture tell more of my feelings, you should understand ;)

copyright of http://uribaani.deviantart.com/

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 23:01

Pity it wasn't released here in Brazil,but thanks to Amazon.co.uk I'm going to have my own copy in a week(do hope so and crossing fingers).Let's see if later this year the album will appear here.

But...from that promo copy...I'm a SHABDA ADDICT \o/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2008, 23:23

Is there any way to get the live in Bilbao version if you are outside Europe? It sounds like it's worth having given that I loves MOTS, but i'm rather peeved that it seems like the live version will not be available worldwide through the internet  :(

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Ginger Daddy Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 02:25

Quote (timshen @ Mar. 17 2008, 23:23)
but i'm rather peeved that it seems like the live version will not be available worldwide through the internet  :(

I agree that in this wonderful digital age it's annoying to still have geographical boundaries. Where it's downloadable from is not up to Apple iTunes it's a decision that Universal have to make themselves.

With iTunes you tell them which territories you want the music made available. My 'band' (Purple Rhapsody) has instrumental music on iTunes and we specified that we wanted it worldwide. I haven't checked EVERY iTunes store but I know that my music is available in UK, USA, and Australia (but is it available in Belgium....?).

So maybe the fans from outside Europe (and those from Belgium and Luxembourg) should lobby Universal to make it available worldwide?

Cheers,
Terry.

--------------
http://purplerhapsody.co.uk - no words, just emotions
Profile PM WEB 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 04:03

Quote (Ginger Daddy @ Mar. 18 2008, 08:25)
My 'band' (Purple Rhapsody) has instrumental music on iTunes and we specified that we wanted it worldwide. I haven't checked EVERY iTunes store but I know that my music is available in UK, USA, and Australia (but is it available in Belgium....?).

Yes, Purple Rhapsody is available in Belgium ;)

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 04:36

There's a US release on Decca scheduled for the 28th - I imagine that's the reason it hasn't been released on the US iTunes store yet.

Why it's not available in Belgium and Luxembourg, I really don't know. It's likely to be some kind of licensing issue, but I really can't see why it's an issue that has to exist. They've presumably released it on CD in those countries...

I'll see if I can find out anything more about this.
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 06:12

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 18 2008, 10:36)
Why it's not available in Belgium and Luxembourg, I really don't know. It's likely to be some kind of licensing issue, but I really can't see why it's an issue that has to exist. They've presumably released it on CD in those countries...

Just received an e-mail from Universal Belgium

There happened some kind of mistake... MOTS should be available on iTunes Belgium (and probably Luxembourg) soon...

:laugh:

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
Fine_old_Tom Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 08:38

From the bottom of my I-Pod I thank you ProjectZ !!

--------------
Sad Sing
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2008, 09:34

Quote (Korgscrew @ Mar. 18 2008, 12:36)
There's a US release on Decca scheduled for the 28th

Thanks for this info. Korg. Is this a release of the studio and live recordings of MOTS on CD?

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
119 replies since Mar. 16 2008, 22:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net